They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Clearing a white background?

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Clearing a white background?

Postby Briantho » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:00 am

Me again!

Anyway, following on from my panorama question, the image is, in fact, some sheet music stretched out in panorama form. In the PE3 project it will move across the lower part of the screen etc. Using the Magic Eraser Tool I can convert the white page to transparent thus only showing the notes, staves, markings etc. However, brilliant as this tool may be, there's a lot of clicking to be done! Is there a way of indicating 'convert all white to transparent' in a PSD?

Many thanks in advance.
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:13 am

Try this, Brian:

First, make sure your image isn't the background layer. If it is, double-click this background layer (in the Layer panel). A dialogue box will open indicated that the layer has become a regular layer and not the background anymore.

Use the Magic Wand tool. Click on the white area. Under the Selection drop-down choose Select Similar. (You may need to adjust the Tolerance if it chooses more or less than just the area of the graphic you want. The click Delete. Instant transparency!

Now, if you have a problem it's going to be this: Most graphics are not just black and white. You have a softer, gray area around the black text (it's called anti-aliasing, and it makes the color breaks look more natural). And removing that and leaving the black text behind can be a bit tricky (and can leave your text looking a bit too crisp).

Does that help?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Briantho » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:35 am

Fantastic - many thanks Steve!

Actually, when doing a right-click I couldn't find the drop-down 'Select Similar' but by unchecking the 'Contiguous' box at the top I ended up with the same effect - just what I wanted.

There's no problem with colours here as it's black music notes on white paper and in any case it's ultimately going to be 33% opacity and slowly moving across the bottom of the screen as the music plays. It's intended to give more of an impression than something to sing from :)

This is a GREAT forum!
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Clearing a white background?

Postby Briantho » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:00 am

I don't often do anything with Photoshop - I'd much appreciate some help here. I've created a new PSD file using Steve's excellent advice but there are a few small remaining areas of white (non-transparent) that I'd like to get rid of.

Having used the Magic Wand and pressed delete I saved the file as a PSD and it looks great in the timeline. Back in Photoshop the 'ants' are still moving on the checkered background and my problem is that I can't see how to erase (make transparent) the last bits near the edges of the image and so on. Probably a dumb question but many thanks in advance for any advice.
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Briantho » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:51 am

Whoops - all OK. I got the 'ants' to stop and it all works as I'd hoped.
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:11 am

As I'm sure you figured out, Brian, you press Ctrl+d to de-select, which will make the marching ants disappear.

When an area is selected, your work will only affect the selected area. As you found, you can't erase or perform any other effect outside of the selected area.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Briantho » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:18 pm

Many thanks Steve. Amazing - you're just ALWAYS there and much appreciated!
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Jayell » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:28 am

Briantho wrote: Amazing - you're just ALWAYS there and much appreciated!

Doesn't he live here .. in the forum? :lol:
HP Envy Desktop 795-0040xt / Win 10 Home/ Intel Core i7-8700 / 32GB memory / NVidia GeForce GTS 1060 3G
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:55 am

Truer than you'd think, Jayell!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Photoshop Elements