They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Aaargh! Need some help with a lower third

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Aaargh! Need some help with a lower third

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:47 pm

I'm trying to make a simple lower third for use in a PrEl project. It consists of a gradient rectangle with a lighting effect in it, overlayed on one end with a logo graphic. I removed a white background from the graphic, turning the background transparent. I also reduced the opacity on both the rectangle and the logo so that the video would show through the lower third.

If I save this as a PSD I get a couple of white artifacts (white speckles) in the upper left corner of the logo, as if I didn't quite get all of the background erased. But I've gone back over it and I'm certain that I did get it erased.

I've also tried saving it as a GIF, with transparency. That results in a clean background around the logo, but I lose my reduced opacity settings. The video no longer shows through the lower third. It also changes the aspect ratio.

I'd much rather just use the PSD file, but I can't figure out where the artifacts are coming from. Here are two frame exports. First the PSD, then the GIF. I purposely used a black background for clarity. Although the speckles may not look like much they are very apparent in the video. The opacity difference isn't obvious because of the background that I used, but the PSD does have the reduced opacity. BTW, the white dot at the base of the cross isn't an artifact....it's a circle R registered trademark symbol.

Lower Third as PSD.jpg

Lower Third as GIF.jpg

Any suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Re: Aaargh! Need some help with a lower third

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:58 pm

Before you turned the graphic into a PSD, what was it? A JPEG, by any chance?

It looks like it may have some JPEGing issues.

My advice would be, since it's simple enough, recreate it in Photoshop. You can do this by placing int on one layer and using the Magic Wand tool to select the banner, for instance, create a new layer and Fill the selection. The cross may be a bit more complicated -- although you may be able to recreate it with some simple lines and an emboss effect.

Once you've recreated the new parts, using the old as a guide, delete the layer that includes the original artwork.

Save that as a PSD and you should be all set.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:13 pm

I've cut out lots of graphics & photos in PSE and looked good only to see things show up in PrPro. Now, I place a black or contrasting fill layer under the graphic as I work and then delete before saving.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:37 pm

Problem solved. I wasn't zoomed in far enough to be able to pinpoint and erase the artifacts. When I got the magnification up high enough I found them and was able to erase them. Yes, Steve, it was a JPG, so that may have made things more difficult. I appreciate the suggestions about rebuilding it. Fortunately it won't be necessary. Cheryl, that's a great idea about the contrasting fill layer. I'll put it in my toolbox for future use. I appreciate the responses.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Jayell » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:36 am

momoffduty wrote:I've cut out lots of graphics & photos in PSE and looked good only to see things show up in PrPro. Now, I place a black or contrasting fill layer under the graphic as I work and then delete before saving.

Same here .. I wouldn't work without it!
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Photoshop Elements