They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Shortcut for cropping

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Shortcut for cropping

Postby Jayell » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:51 pm

So I have a photo with several people in it. I use the marquee tool to select a single face, feather, then delete the balance of the photo. Now I'm left with a large photo, needing only a small portion with that one face. I know how to use the crop tool, but thought once I found a shortcut that would automatically crop around the selected area (but can't seem to find it in the help file). Does that exist? I'm working on numerous photos, and that would save me some time. Using PSE7.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Shortcut for cropping

Postby Bob » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:45 pm

Sounds like you are thinking of the crop command. There is not a default shortcut for it, but it is found in the image menu. You use it by making a selection and then go to image > crop. The image will be cropped to the smallest rectangular bounding box that contains the selection.

Normally, you wouldn't feather the selection, but you certainly could. Just be aware that the trim will be at the outer edge of the feather, not where you see the marching ants, so it may appear to be cropping a larger area then you expect.
Bob

Re: Shortcut for cropping

Postby Jayell » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:08 pm

Thanks, Bob. Seems even when I didn't feather, the Crop command crops waaaaaaay outside the selection area. Guess I'll stick with the crop tool. I musta dreamt the shortcut. :-D
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Photoshop Elements