They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Accessing catalog on second version of Elements 8

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Accessing catalog on second version of Elements 8

Postby Clayton » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:37 pm

The title of the topic may be confusing, but here is the problem. I have elements 8 on my XP drive and all works fine. I have now installed elements 8 on my win7 drive. I can't figure out how to access the existing catalog from the newly installed version. Since they are both the same it ought to be easy, but I can't figure out where the catalog resides. :-8
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Accessing catalog on second version of Elements 8

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:55 am

Remember that the catalogs are going to be in a different place on each operating system. But you should be able to duplicate the file from your XP drive and save it on your W7. (Don't forget to go to your folder view options and set them to display hidden files or you won't see some of these folders.)

In XP, the catalog is called catalog.pse9db and I believe is found in C:/DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS/OWNER/APPLICATION DATA/ADOBE/ELEMENTS ORGANIZER/8.0/ORGANIZER. (It could be in one of the sub-folders in here. It's hard for me to see, since version 9 has converted my version 8 catalog.)

On Windows 7, this file is located in C:/PROGRAMDATA/ADOBE/ELEMENTS ORGANIZER/CATALOGS/MY CATALOG
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Clayton » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks, Steve. I have successfully copied the catalog to Win7. My catalog In XP was located in C:/DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS/OWNER/APPLICATION DATA/ADOBE/ELEMENTS ORGANIZER/CATALOGS/MY Catalog. I had all files viewable, but the first time when I looked there, MY catolg folder would not open and appeared to be empty. I went at in win7 and the folder opeened to reveal the files that make up the catalog. Anyway I copied the folder and pasted it in win7 at C:/PROGRAMDATA/ADOBE/ELEMENTS ORGANIZER/CATALOGS/MY CATALOG and it works. Funny thing when I went back to XP the catalog folder would open. Again thanks. :yh:
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:56 pm

Glad to hear it, Clayton!

That was the first time I'd ever dug around in those hidden files on Windows 7, so I'm glad I found the right folder!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Photoshop Elements