They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Signature for photos

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Signature for photos

Postby Ron Burkett » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:12 pm

Hey everybody...

I'm trying to create a signature to use on my photos. I've scanned a copy of my handwritten signature to start with, and removed the background. The background shows transparent on the sig file, but when I place it on a photo, the back ground goes solid. I'm sure this is something simple I'm just not doing right, can someone please help me.

I'm also open to other suggestions to accomplish the same end, and yes, I've read the tutorial from Janee (google) about making your signature a stamp, but I had trouble making that happen as well.

Thanks,
Ron
Dell XPS 410, 2.13 GHz, 2GB SDRAM, 256MB ATI Raedon X1300 Pro video card, Vista Home Premium, PE4
http://www.basecamp-1.com/ronsworld/
Ron Burkett

Re: Signature for photos

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:34 pm

I use Photoshop but I think the process should be similar(?). This is what I did:-

Created a new file (File>New) and ensured that the background was transparent. My signature was on layer 1 which was the only layer. Saved file as a .PSD.

I was then able to drag my signature onto other pictures without a problem, resizing as necessary (Edit>Free Transform>Scale).
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby rfjg » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:04 pm

You can also save as "GIF" or "PNG" file with a transparent background. I find the Save For Web option the easiest way to do this.
rfjg
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Wheat King » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:20 pm

Ron Burkett wrote:The background shows transparent on the sig file, but when I place it on a photo, the back ground goes solid.

Assuming that the background that is coming in is white you could use the blending modes to knock out colours in the background of a layer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Burkett » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:40 pm

Thanks for your replies.

After some more research, I ran across a very good video tutorial that explained how to make your signature a stamp and gave that a try. It worked very well.

Here's the link if anyone else is interested -

http://www.digitalprotalk.com/DAZ%20Med ... esson.html

Thanks again for your help.

Ron
Dell XPS 410, 2.13 GHz, 2GB SDRAM, 256MB ATI Raedon X1300 Pro video card, Vista Home Premium, PE4
http://www.basecamp-1.com/ronsworld/
Ron Burkett

Return to Photoshop Elements