They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Setting bit depth in bitmaps

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Setting bit depth in bitmaps

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun May 20, 2007 4:48 am

I'm attempting to create a logo in PE that I need to save as a bitmap. It's just pure black and white, and I need to save it as such; the lower the bit depth the better. A bit depth of 1 would be fine. For some reason PE will only allow me options of 16 bit or higher. PE is such a capable program, it's hard to imagine that it won't do this. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bob » Sun May 20, 2007 10:10 pm

Sounds like you are not in the right image mode. To get a bit depth of 1, the mode must be set to "bitmap". To change to "bitmap" mode, you need to change to "grayscale" mode, if you aren't in it already, then change the mode to "bitmap". You can run the threshold adjustment on the image before the bitmap mode change if you want more control of how the grays drop out.

The grayscale to bitmap mode will let you choose the method which can be a 50% threshold, a dither. or halftone screen. 50% threshold should be fine for your pure black/white image.

Now you can save as a bmp and the bit depth will be 1.

Next time, you can create a blank bitmap mode image and draw the logo in bitmap mode from the start.
Bob

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon May 21, 2007 5:08 am

Thanks Bob. I used to do quite a bit (no pun intended) with Photoshop Elements but now I know how rusty I am. This worked great. I appreciate your response. =D>
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Return to Photoshop Elements