They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Using PSE7 To Edit On the PRE7 Timeline

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Using PSE7 To Edit On the PRE7 Timeline

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:40 pm

Problem: Nowadays, I usually create my slide shows in PSE7 then "send" them to PRE7, where I've previously created the slide shows's title and other introductory material on the Timeline. Occasionally, I find that I need to edit the slide show after I've already send it to PRE7. This evening, for example, I discovered a number of dust marks on a black background.

Solution: Here is the procedure to follow if you must edit a still that is already on the PRE Timeline:

1. Right-click Breakup Slide Show. Note that the audio portion is immediatley moved from the Audio 1 track to the Soundtrack. The Video portion will stay in place but each slide will now be separately editable.
2. Select the slide you wish to edit by left-clicking on the far-left portion of its header--the color will become purple.
3. Right-click Edit with Adobe Photoshop Elements and, in a second or three, a full-size view of the slide will appear.
4. Edit the still as desired.
5. Click Exit. When asked whether you wish to save the change, click Yes, and the PSE editor will close, leaving your now-edited still (or, more precisely, its thumbnail) just where it was on the Timeline.

:TU:

Note: Stills on the PRE Timeline can be edited with PSE even when they were imported directly into PRE, in other words, not previously edited with PSE.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Using PSE7 To Edit On the PRE7 Timeline

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:37 am

Good solution, George.

I do like that, when you change an original still in Photoshop Elements, it automatically updates on the Premiere Elements timeline.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:08 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:I do like that, when you change an original still in Photoshop Elements, it automatically updates on the Premiere Elements timeline.

Steve, it's only with the release of the PSE/PRE7 bundle that I have finally begun to use the two programs together, and I must say that I am still awestruck by the power that Adobe has given us with these two programs for a mere $150 (less a $30 rebate=$120).

Prior to the release of this bundle, it never occurred to me that I would one day become capable of creating the high-quality, professional-appearing projects that these software are capable of.

It's amazing!

:-({|=
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:43 pm

I have Photoshop CS2. When I'm in pre 7, I can select the menu item "Edit Original" and that will open up Photoshop CS2 with the PSD file. I can edit and save in Photoshop CS2 and that will update the document in pre 7 in place.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:22 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:I have Photoshop CS2. When I'm in pre 7, I can select the menu item "Edit Original" and that will open up Photoshop CS2 with the PSD file. I can edit and save in Photoshop CS2 and that will update the document in pre 7 in place.

RJ, do you create PSD files for all the stills that you will use in PRE, even when you are doing only minimal editing, for example, removing dust?

The reason I ask is that, if I am doing only minimal editing of my stills, I no longer do a Save As of my JPEGs to PSDs. Instead, I merely re-save the JPEGs at Maximuim Quality, and PRE7 handles these JPEGs without issue. In fact, I am currently creating the highest-quality Blu-ray DVDs I've ever made. The bonus is that I'm no longer using up lots of HDD space with dozens of PSDs.

BTW, I work exclusively with Hi Def Timelines.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:13 pm

Pratcially all my film photos have been corrected way ahead of time, before they ever make it inside Premiere Elements. But I have done what you do, George. Nowadays for digital photos I use Magix products and DivX for digital photo frames.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:41 am

RJ Johnston wrote:Nowadays for digital photos I use Magix products and DivX for digital photo frames.

Are those editing programs?
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:50 am

There are Magix video and photo editing programs. The DivX is a video codec that the digital photo frame likes. There is also a DivX Author program I use, but that's not for fixing photos, just putting together simple videos and slideshows to be played back on DivX devices.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby JohnnyO » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:53 pm

Ragarding the PSD files. I never use JPEGs in PRE any longer. PRE handles PSD files better than JPEGs. I use the PSE Organizer to downsize my files and it gives me the option to choose a differnt format, which is where I choose PSD.

Also keep in mind that if you edit a compresseed JPEG, then save it as a JPEG, it is re-compressing the photo. If you do this often enough, you will see compression artifacts. It is preferred to save it in a format that does not use compression, or uses minimal compression, for the sake of quality alone.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:01 pm

I'm with Johnny, same process here :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Photoshop Elements