They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Keyword/Tagging Scanned Images

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Keyword/Tagging Scanned Images

Postby ScrugneysGundogs » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:01 pm

I just started a new project - scanning-in old pictures, slides and negatives.

I scanned all the pictures in as *.JPG, just because all my other software does so. (In hindsight, *.TIFF may be a better choice, but I digress...)

The first thing I wanted to do is to attach "tags", "keywords", "captions", and/or "titles" that would always stay with the picture.

That's where the fun started! I found out that every operating system and every software package tries to do it a little differently, and they don't play nice together! My original premise was to use the "right click>properties" menu in Windows XP. It has the fields "title", "subject", "tags", "comment" and "author" - perfect! or so I thought! I opened a picture in Windows, plugged in the values, and SAVEd it. Then I opened up the picture in Photoshop, viewed the "File>File Info", and it wasn't (all) there! To make matters worse, if I add (to use the proper term) "metadata" to a picture in Photoshop, and SAVE it - it doesn't show up ANYWHERE when viewed in Windows! And if that's not enough, the Windows "Summary Properties" are handled differently between XP and Vista! :pull:

What to do?!!

I'd love to hear better ideas, but this is what I did. First, I scanned in the pictures using the scanner software - no other applications involved. Once they were scanned-in, I had *.JPG pictures in a directory called "Scanned". I then edited and/or rotated any pictures that needed it, and filed them in meaningful directories. Since it was family photos, the pictures went into directories named the same as the person who's pictures it contained. So when this process was done, the pictures were in a directory structure that made them easy to find.

Now, for the tagging. Windows itself was very cumbersome for editing the "Summary Properties" for INDIVIDUAL pictures. It DID however, lend itself nicely for updating a batch at a time. Since each directory contains one person's (or family's) pictures, it was easy to SELECT ALL, and type-in "title" (the person's name) and "author" (© me :) ). Click on APPLY and they ALL get updated! For the data SPECIFIC to just one picture, I needed another way. I did a little searching on the internet and found iTag. "iTag is a free tool that adds title, description and keyword tags to your photos and movies." It's not the greatest piece of software, and certain functions are very slow, but for ease of access to the metadata, it's perfect!

One thing, however, iTag does not write to the fields that Windows XP uses...but it writes to the fields that Photoshop uses! So, once you add metatdata with iTag, then OPEN the picture in Photoshop - "File>File Info" has the data! :)

So, thats how I added metadata for Windows AND metadata for Photoshop.

O.K.? I might be rambling, but stay with me here... Now for the interesting part. Using iTag, I added TAGs (A.K.A. KEYWORDS) to all the pictures. The TAGS I added were the names (First and last) of everone who was in the picture. Most pictures had one or two TAGs, but some family reunion shots had tons! Alright, so what's the big deal? It's this: all the pictures are in sub-directories under a single main directory - all pictures have 'name' TAGs :-D ...start-up the PE Organizer, create a NEW catalog, and GET PHOTOS from the main directory. At the end of the import process, all the pictures are catalogued with a PSE TAG pointing to every person in every picture! Just click on the TAG for a specific person and you see every picture they appear in!

I suppose you could have done this in PSE Organizer, but I find it's interface clunky. Anyway, this was just a side benefit of what I had set out to do. :-D I now have individual pictures that I can send out, email, upload to a website, burn to CD or DVD, etc... that all have titles and captions attached.
ScrugneysGundogs
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Keyword/Tagging Scanned Images

Postby Bob » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:17 am

Here are my experiences.

I am using Photoshop CS3 and Bridge CS3 under Vista Home Premium 32 bit. I do not have Photoshop Elements and am not using the Organizer.

I add metadata to my images using Bridge. When I look at the properties using Windows Explorer, I see the metadata that I added in Bridge. I also see the same metadata when viewing the file info in Photoshop. I did some experiments using some jpeg files and made changes to the metadata in Windows explorer and in Photoshop (including tags/keywords). The changes I made to the metadata were visible in the other programs. The only thing that didn't work as expected was the rating. If I set a rating in Windows Explorer, it was picked up in Bridge. However, it did not work the other way around, changing the rating in Bridge did not change the rating in Windows Explorer.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:29 am

I'm with Bob. Working with tags and metadata is what both Bridge and the Photoshop Elements Organizer do best!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ScrugneysGundogs » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:07 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:I'm with Bob. Working with tags and metadata is what both Bridge and the Photoshop Elements Organizer do best!

Well that's partially true. I think you missed my point, which is: The metadata needs to be standardized and available in any application. Photoshop does not read/write to the same place that Windows does. I know this. You may know this. But lots of other people don't. They may not own photoshop or have the computer savvy to "find" that data. When you catalog all this stuff in the PSE Organizer, it is available to that APPLICATION and not others. This is by design. Adobe set it's own standard called Adobe XMP - which personally, I prefer - but Windows has another "standard". Frankly, I'm surprized that noone has written a program that handles this situation?! It's a development opportunity!
ScrugneysGundogs
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:36 am

Ignoring the chronology, (the conversation could have been Adobe approaching Microsoft) one can almost imagine the conversation:

Microsoft: "Hey Adobe, can we use your metadata standard?"
Adobe: "Sure, we'll licence it to you for $$$$."
Microsoft; "You want us to pay you?! Nah. We'll develop our own"

Such is the world of standards in the computing world. One only has to think back to the lost promise of a unified, standard operating system called Unix before it became customised into myriad versions - System 5, BSD 4.2, Open Systems, HP, etc....more flavours that a LISP program. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bob » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:14 am

Actually, Adobe has always provided a free license for XMP along with a free toolkit for implementing it within applications. And, believe it or not, Microsoft has actually implemented support for XMP in Vista with the Photo Gallery and the Windows imaging component. :-8
Bob

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:07 am

Bob wrote:Actually, Adobe has always provided a free license for XMP along with a free toolkit for implementing it within applications. And, believe it or not, Microsoft has actually implemented support for XMP in Vista with the Photo Gallery and the Windows imaging component. :-8

Ah well. So much for my fertile, conspiracy theory imagination. :???:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby codebreaker » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:35 am

Unfortunately even within Adobe products there is poor communication regarding keywords and tags. This is partly due to the nature of most specifications - they are never tight enough and open to different interpretation. I find this a poor excuse between products from the same company but it happens. Take a look at keywords between Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop Elements. While the keywords are transferable between both the hierarchy gets lost in many cases.

And its not just XMP but IPTC as well.

Colin

My Web Site

Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints
codebreaker

Return to Photoshop Elements