They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PSE4: Still #1 Among All the Editions of PSE

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

PSE4: Still #1 Among All the Editions of PSE

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:31 pm

Here is a brief summary of why I have continued to use PSE4 for my slide shows:

1. The PSE5 "upgrade" TOOK AWAY the ability to create beautiful Calendar Pages on one's own printer. (I've been told
told there is a way to move this feature out of PSE4 into PSE5, but that idea disturbs me.)

2. PSE6 changed the way PSE finds the catalog; specifically, it now looks for the catalog on a specific drive serial
number rather than a drive letter--so, whereas recovering one's catalog with PSE4 involves merely changing the drive letter of
one's backup of a crashed drive to the drive letter on that crashed drive, beginning with PSE 6 one is forced to use Adobe's
EXTREMELY CUMBERSOME File>Backup menu to perform backups and restores of one's catalog, which may contain tens
of thousands of music, photos and videos.

3. PSE7, beyond comprehension, LIMITS the length of slide show transitions to a maximum of 5 seconds. Imagine, if you,
will, having the ability to make a Barn Door transition take, say, 30 or more full seconds to open and reveal, say, the
majestic vista that lies behind. That is a magnificent site to behold. I write "imagine" because, with PSE7, that's all one
can do is imagine it. What were they thinking when they decided to alter one of the very most important features of Photoshop Elements?

Yes, it's true, one can send one's slide show to Pre7 where the length of the transitions can be stretched, HOWEVER,
the immediate result is that the exquisite timing of one's slides to one's music that can be achieved with previous editions
of PSE is thereby LOST. Grrr!

Here are my 2 sole uses for PSE7:

1) creating DVD jackets for my DVD slide shows and movies

2) using its Organizer for the occasional still that I intend to edit in PSE7 then include in a SD or HD video that I am creating with Pre7 (which, by the way, is
a MAGNIFICENT program--thank you very much, Steve, for writing "the missing manual" that makes this program so very capable).

BTW, there IS an upside to the fact that PSE4 is still the best for slide shows and Pre7 now the best for videos: It's now more logical than ever to use two different Organizers
for one's stills and one's clips. Even better, put PSE4 on one computer and Pre7 on another--then limit the exposure of each of them to the internet as much as you possibly can. (I've
been extra-nervous about internet exposure ever since Steve wrote that even a Windows Update can cause some of one's existing software to stop working.)

\:D/
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: PSE4: Still #1 Among All the Editions of PSE

Postby JohnnyO » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:58 pm

2. PSE6 changed the way PSE finds the catalog; specifically, it now looks for the catalog on a specific drive serial
number rather than a drive letter--so, whereas recovering one's catalog with PSE4 involves merely changing the drive letter of
one's backup of a crashed drive to the drive letter on that crashed drive, beginning with PSE 6 one is forced to use Adobe's
EXTREMELY CUMBERSOME File>Backup menu to perform backups and restores of one's catalog, which may contain tens
of thousands of music, photos and videos.

Not sure what you mean here. I make backups of my catalogs by just copying them to a different drive. I also make backups of my photos to an external drive, which has the same directory structure as my original.
I recently had a drive crash and had to restore my data. I copied the photos to my new drive, then my catalog to the new drive and it worked.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:25 pm

Not sure what you mean here.

With PSE4, I store my catalog, and all the images in it, on the same external drive, letter L. I regularly back this entire drive up to drive X. When drive L crashed and was not recoverable,
all I had to do was change the letter of drive X to L, and I was up and running in minutes--with all my tags and collections completely intact, just as if nothing had happened, in other
words, my entire Organizer looked just like before, and all the images opened in it just like nothing had happened.

What version of PSE are you using?

When you copy the catalog, do you place it on the same external drive that contains backups of all your images?
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby JohnnyO » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:36 pm

George:

I use PSE7. I save my catalog and all my photos on the same external drive.

I copied my catalog and allthe photos back to drive C: when i replaced my drive, in the same directiory structure.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:55 pm

JohnnyO wrote:George:

I use PSE7. I save my catalog and all my photos on the same external drive.

I copied my catalog and allthe photos back to drive C: when i replaced my drive, in the same directiory structure.

Ok, thank you, I understand you now.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Photoshop Elements