They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Scanning Questions

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Re: Scanning Questions

Postby JohnnyO » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:47 pm

PSE has a great feature that lets you scan multiple photos at the same time. In PSE7 it is under the Image menu->Divide Scanned photos.

You can then scan sever photos at once to save time.

There is a trick to getting it to work. The photos need to be at slight angles to each other. PSE will then be able to detect the individual photos.

Don't worry abou the photos being crooked inthe scanner either. PSE will straighten them in the dividing process.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:51 pm

Once I found that feature in Photoshop Elements I never went back, what a time saver.
Best thing is it works really well, not 100% but even the couple out of a 100 that I have to rescan is well worth it :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby desmo11225 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:57 am

Hello Everyone
To continue with my Slide Show projects, I have now started on my holiday photographs, 6"x 4" inches taken with a Nikon film camera, there are about 300 photos from one holiday.
I've only made C.D.Rs before would I need to put my holiday photos on to D.V.Ds, if so has anyone done this before, there are several holidays with a similar number of photographs, obviously I would like to make indiviual Slide Shows of each holiday, to show them off of course.
Any help and guidence would be appriciated
Thank You All Once Again
Kind Regards
desmo11225
desmo11225

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:51 am

If you are just putting them on the disc for storage (as data) then it depends on the final size of all files.
But even if your 300 photos are 1mb each that would only be 300mb and you will have plenty of room on a CD.

If you are talking about a slideshow that is a different story, I would think you would want to put it on a DVD these days.
What's the overall plan Desmo?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ScrugneysGundogs » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:06 pm

Good timing on finding this post. I've just embarked on a project to scan-in my mom's photo collection. The first thing I did was upgrade my scanner to an Epson V500. It was a good choice! For my first batch, I scanned them in using the Epson software, outside of PE's organizer. Later I imported them to PE and it worked out well. I think I'll start a new thread on that topic! :)
ScrugneysGundogs
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Barb O » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:02 am

ScrugneysGundogs wrote:Good timing on finding this post. I've just embarked on a project to scan-in my mom's photo collection. The first thing I did was upgrade my scanner to an Epson V500. It was a good choice! For my first batch, I scanned them in using the Epson software, outside of PE's organizer. Later I imported them to PE and it worked out well. I think I'll start a new thread on that topic! :)

Yes do start a new thread about your experience with the Epson v500. I am considering purchasing that scanner to replace my now dead and originally recommended on Adobe PSE forum Epson 3170 photo scanner.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby desmo11225 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:42 am

Hello Everyone
I have scanned 270 photographs into a slideshow, now my Organiser in Photoshop Elements 4 is not working.
Re. Reconnecting missing files in the Organiser, says Note: The missing icon may also appear for files so large that the Organiser cannot generate a thumbnail.
What is the best way to overcome this problem ????
I've got myself stuck once again after thinking I was so clever.
I have just picked up your message scrugneys gundogs, that really was good timing I too upgraded my scanner to an Epson Perfection 4490 Photo, recommended, which is working well but as you see I've run into another problem.
Thanks for your reply Chuck Engels but the plan is to make them all SlideShows with commentry and music, VERY important, I have plenty of old photographs with no INFO on the back , that was mentioned on our "Who do you think your" programme on T.V. in the week.
I did'nt realise I was up with the latest projects.
Thank you All once again
Regards
desmo11225
desmo11225

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:04 am

What size and resolution are those photos?

It's likely they don't need to be as large as they are, depending on how you plan to use them.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:26 pm

Here are some specifics about what resolutions will and will not generate a thumbnail
Image thumbnails will appear as generic icons or as an hourglass in the Organizer if the combination of the file's size and installed RAM fall within certain ranges. For files that exceed 12 megapixels, 24 megapixels and 36 megapixels, generic thumbnails will appear if your RAM installed is 256 MB to 512 MB, 512 MB to 1 GB, or over 1 GB respectively.

This info is from an FAQ at the Adobe site forum. It was originally written for PSE 3. I noticed that you have PSE 4 and it does continue to apply for PSE 4: in fact I think it may still apply up through PSE 7.

I numbered the following to make it easier for you to respond by reference number.

This next consideration may be unique to PSE 4.
1-- Did you save those scanned photos as TIFFs? There might be a problem unique to TIFFs.
Saving as TIFFs of course would be a good practice because they are lossless as opposed to jpeg compression.
If you saved as TIFFs, did you choose any of the compression choices available for TIFFs?

But this probably applies for all versions
2-- What is the resolution of your photos? How much RAM on your system?
If you select one of these thumbnails in the Organizer, and look in the Properties window it will show the resolution - example: 3000 x 2000. (It is the pixel resolution that matters in this case and not the file size

As a test,
3-- In the Organizer thumbnail area, double click on one of those problematic thumbnails of the scanned photos. This should give you the single image view with only that one photo displaying within the Organizer thumbnail area. Does that single photo image display OK?
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby desmo11225 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:18 am

Thank you All For your prompt replys once again.
Hello Chuck I am putting my holiday photographs onto SlideShows [They are already stored in albums with written detail] and I have already made one SlideShow of 120 6"x4" inch photographs put on a C.D. 700 M.B. with Transissions, Titles , Narration and Music and its perfect, I've got this problem when trying to make a much larger SlideShow 272 photographs.
I thought I'd try cutting it in two and making 2 C.D.s of the one holiday but first I have to get my PE4 Organiser up and running.

Hello Barb O, desmo11225 is back again, with replys

1~The Scanned Photographs are in JPEG Format

2~ Size 240KB 246,338 Bytes Size on Disc 241 KB 246,784 Bytes

3~ Double clicking the thumbnails, single photo image displays O.K. Thank you All once Again Regards desmo11225
desmo11225

Postby Barb O » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:18 pm

desmo11225 wrote: Hello Barb O, desmo11225 is back again, with replys

1~The Scanned Photographs are in JPEG Format

2~ Size 240KB 246,338 Bytes Size on Disc 241 KB 246,784 Bytes

3~ Double clicking the thumbnails, single photo image displays O.K.

Because of your response to number 3, right click on the thumbnail that you checked to answer that question and choose "Update Thumbnail" . Because you can see the single photo image, that should mean that the catalog can find where that specific photo is on your hard drive. What happens when you do the Update Thumbnail?

On number 2, we did not effectively communicate. It is the pixel dimensions that I wanted: in the first screen for the Properties box for the Organizer it will be shown as number1 x number2. Unfortunately I don't think this pixel dimension data it is explicitly labeled. Aslo, I need to know how much RAM on this system.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby desmo11225 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:57 pm

Hello Barb O
Thanks for your prompt reply, you gave me the clue that my photographs were already there so I tried!!! "To search for files on your computer" in the manual and it worked, I'm back in business and I'm half way through making this SlideShow with 272 photographs and so far so good.
Page 50 Chapter 4 in the manual says, Choose File>Get Photos> By Searching.
2 Select a search option from the Look In menu

3 Select options to limit your search

Exclude System and Program Folders

Exclude Files Smaller Than, 4 Click Search May take a while, Search returns all folders that contain photos and video clips. 5 Click folder to select it. 6 After selecting folders, click the Import Folders button. The photos appear in the Photo Browser.
Thanks for your help, I will let you know how I get on and try to give you more info Re larger SlideShows
Regards desmo11225
desmo11225

Postby Barb O » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:15 pm

desmo,

I am going to be persistent about at least one of my questions because I am trying to save you rework on your slide show. I don't want you to finish doing all the arrangement work of slides, transitions, text and then have you experience a problem that would cause you to do that work again. With 272 slides you might be OK using your photo files as is - but you might not depending on the resources of your computer and whether these are really high resolution scans.

What is the resolution of your photos? How much RAM on your system?
If you select one of these thumbnails in the Organizer, and look in the Properties window it will show the resolution - example: 3000 x 2000. (It is the pixel resolution that matters in this case and not the file size)

Will this slide show be played back on a TV or on a computer ?
Do you intend that this slideshow be played on a TV? My concern is that for TV playback, Photoshop Elements only writes a slide show in VCD (video CD format) that is low resolution and gives a poor quality image on a large screen TV. Premiere Elements can make a video DVD from your Photoshop Elements slide show for TV playback. OR - if the slide show will be played on a computer then you should be OK with just Photoshop Elements because there are higher resolution options for writing to a WMV file type on your hard drive and then writing a data CD for sending to someone else to play on their computer.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby desmo11225 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:06 am

Hello Barb O
I'm sorry I have'nt aswered your Questions Properly

I have 1.24 Gb R.A.M

Properties on thumbnails General 279.7 KB 1734x1116
Tags Nil
History Imported from Harddisc
Meta data Collour RGB File size 286441 Bit Depth 8

So far I've put all my SlideShows onto 700MB 80 Minute CD-R and shown them on Television, this is what I'd like to carry on doing , the longest SlideShow so far has been 120 Photographs with titles, transissions, narration and music.
The 272 Photograph 49 minute CD has so far failed half way through.
It looks as if I'll be cutting my long holidays in half,my daughter thinks 20-30 minute SlideShows are long enough anyway.
Thank you Barb O for your patience and perserverence, I'll continue to let you Know how I get on .
Best Regards desmo 11225
desmo11225

Postby desmo11225 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:43 pm

Hello Barb O
I have now successfully put my long 272 photo SlideShow onto 2 C.Ds, after buying a small pack 10 of D.V.Ds and installing Premier Elements 2 and spending a lot of hours failing to get it to work I gave up and wont bother trying that anymore, I'll not make any VERY long SlideShows again.
Sorry Barb O to give you a lot of work but thank you so much for your time.

Hello Chuck Engels, I was interested in the method johnny O is talking about Re. Multiple Scanning that sounds really good, A couple of questions does it come only with PSE 7 and would you explain what he means by "putting the photos onto the scanner at an angle" if it's only on PSE7 how much hassel is it to install PSE7 and to transfer everything from PSE4 on to it.
To scan multiple photos would speed things up no end it's a pretty slow job doing them one at a time.
Thank You All once again for Your Help
Regards desmo11225
desmo11225

PreviousNext

Return to Photoshop Elements