They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

error when saving

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

error when saving

Postby momoffduty » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:02 pm

Scanning old slides and repairing in photo shop. Files are saved in Nikon as tif format. Import to photoshop, save-as psd format in full edit. When finished editing, I try to save-as jpeg and an error occurs "Could not complete your request because of a program error." I was able to save-as a jpeg after editing last week, not sure what has happened. Any suggestions?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:36 pm

My first question is always 'what has changed?' Have you added or removed any programs since it worked last?

Then there are the other questions;
Have you tried a repair install of Photoshop Elements?
Can you save as other formats like BMP?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:00 pm

1 - Since your files have been in the tiff format from the scan and then PSD after being edited, it is possible that they were written as 16 bit files by the Nikon program. The jpeg standard only supports 8 bit files. When you have the photo open in the editor, look at the title bar and you would see RGB/8 or RGB/16 to tell you which it is. I don't think that this specific error would have the symptom of a "program error message" - but I am not sure.

2 - I have seen posts in other forums of problems saving in JPEG that were resolved by resetting the PS Elements Editor Preferences. The Preferences can become corrupted for mysterious reasons. This would fit the situation where you had not changed anything but it stopped working.

To reset the Editor Preferences -
hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift immediately after launching the PSE Editor (the Editor and not the overall Welcome screen). You get a dialog box asking if you want to delete the Elements settings. Say yes.

You must be quick with holding down the keys, so try again if you do not get the popup the first time. Also if you have previously changed any of the Editor Preferences settings, you must do it again after the reset.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:47 pm

Thanks Chuck & Barb, I will try the suggestions. The only thing that has changed, was an update notice that I did upload.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:57 pm

I am amazed with the knowlege here at this site. I checked the file size, could save as bmp, and the Ctrl+Alt+Shift did the trick. Really appreciate the help! Just got photo shop 2 weeks ago and has been frustrating at times.

The tools in photoshop are more than I could ever imagine. The slides need to either be enhanced, lightened, or repair scratches. I have been using the spot healing brush and the healing brush. Read that the noise filter is useful on scratches, but have not tried that yet. Any tips on removing scratches? Settings, etc? Mostly it has been trial and error to see what looks the best.

Thanks again!
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Paul LS » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:45 pm

Cool... good job Barb :lol: and Chuck :cool:
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:08 pm

Thanks Paul - Happy Birthday again :)

momoffduty wrote: Read that the noise filter is useful on scratches, but have not tried that yet. Any tips on removing scratches? Settings, etc? Mostly it has been trial and error to see what looks the best.
Thanks again!

I think trial and error is a must if you want to really clean up an image. I use the spot healing brush for most scratches. There are some tips and tricks in the Photoshop Elements 4 and Premiere Elements 2 All In One book, the Photoshop Elements 5 Book for Digital Photographers, and Photoshop Elements 4 In A Snap.

I also use PaintShop Pro which has a built in scratch removal tool that works pretty good, but the Healing brush in Photoshop Elements is also very good. One of the tricks is to zoom in as far as possible to get the closest surrounding area for the program to copy/clone from.

Here is just one of the online resources available for free
http://www.ephotozine.com/techniques/vi ... ?recid=293
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:41 pm

Chuck, thanks for the link. Maybe I should post a picture of my 'All in One' book, it has post-it page markers sticking out everywhere :lol:
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Return to Photoshop Elements