They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PSD to CMYK

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

PSD to CMYK

Postby Stregga » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:15 pm

I created a buisness card in PSCS3 using the default srgb profile, but need to convert it to cmyk for the printer to make the cards. How can I change the file so that the colors are usable by the printer. Can I simply change the profile from SRGB to CMYK for it to be used by them?

Here is what they have requested:

In order for you to correct this you will need to re-create your files to the following specs;
*Bleed*: 3.627" x 2.127" / 1088x638 pixels
*Resolution*: 300dpi
*CMYK*

What is "Bleed", and how do I adjust it?
Gateway GM5664 Windows Vista Home Premium AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core Processor 2.30 GHz, 1TB HDD (2 x 500GB) 3.0GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2400XT (256MB OBM) Realtek HDSC Dual 19" Monitor Display
Stregga
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: PSD to CMYK

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:36 pm

This one is easy in CS3, Marcos (and impossible in Photo Elements).

With the file open, just go to Image/Mode and check CMYK. (The sRGB is just a color profile. It has nothing to do with the actual color mode.)

You set the size in CS3 under Image/Image Size.

As for bleed -- that's a tough one in Photoshop. You'll need to do it manually (as opposed to InDesign, for instance, that actually allows you to add bleed outside the document's edge).

Bleed is usually 1/8 of an inch on each side -- so, of that 3.627" x 2.127" bleed, assume that the "live area" (the part that will be delivered to you after the bleed is trimmed off) is about 3 3/8" x 1 7/8". Does that sound right?

(Bleed, in case you don't know, is sort of an coverage of ink beyond the edge of a document -- a necessary thing, if you have ink running from edge to edge.)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Stregga » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:01 pm

Steve,

Thank you for all the information. I am happy to see I did the right thing for the cmyk and image size. It's nice to have you guys around to know if I messed up or did the right thing.

You said that the bleed part can be handled better in inDesign than photoshop. I have the CS3 Production Suite so I have inDesign, though I am clueless as to what it does exactly. Should I just try to handle this in PS or is it easier to do in inDesign?

If it's easier in inDesign, can you explain how to go about doing this?

Steve Grisetti wrote:As for bleed -- that's a tough one in Photoshop. You'll need to do it manually (as opposed to InDesign, for instance, that actually allows you to add bleed outside the document's edge).

Bleed is usually 1/8 of an inch on each side -- so, of that 3.627" x 2.127" bleed, assume that the "live area" (the part that will be delivered to you after the bleed is trimmed off) is about 3 3/8" x 1 7/8". Does that sound right?

(Bleed, in case you don't know, is sort of an coverage of ink beyond the edge of a document -- a necessary thing, if you have ink running from edge to edge.)

Yeah Steve, I was totaly lost as to what "Bleed" meant or was. So if I understand you correctly, you are saying that they will deliver a buisness card that is 3.627"x2.127" so any part of my image that is outside of that will be considered bleed and cut off. So that works kindof like the video safe margins in PE?
Gateway GM5664 Windows Vista Home Premium AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core Processor 2.30 GHz, 1TB HDD (2 x 500GB) 3.0GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2400XT (256MB OBM) Realtek HDSC Dual 19" Monitor Display
Stregga
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Stregga » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:24 pm

You know what Steve,

I found this sample of a biz card that cleared things up for me as far as the bleed. It shows the safe area and where the bleed lines are.

Thanks for you help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stregga
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:28 am

Just one thing I think you're unclear on, Marcos.

If your bleed size is 3.627" x 2.127" and 1/8" (.125") on each side is bleed, that leaves you with a final card of 3 3/8" x 1 7/8" (3.38" x 1.88") once the bleed area is cut off. Does that make sense? If you need your card to be 3.627" x 2.127" (that's ~ 3 5/8" x 2 1/8") then you need to include 1/8" more all around, or 3.88" x 2.38" total size artwork) to account for the bleed.

In InDesign it's more obvious. When you start a new document, you set the actual document size and you set a .125" (1/8") bleed on every side. (If the bleed settings aren't showing in the New Document option window, click the More Options button.) When your new document opens, you should see your document's frame and, just beyond that, a red outline representing the bleed, as you can see in the image below. (Click on it to see it larger.)

If you've got ink going from edge to edge of your card, the printer needs to print it on a larger sheet of card stock with ink beyond where your card would end. That's bleed. That way, when the printer trims the card down to its actual size, he doesn't risk the ink not going all the way to edge. Make sense?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Stregga » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:51 pm

Yeah Steve,

That makes perfect sense! Thanks for making it all crystal clear for me, and for the directions on how to do this in inDesign.
Stregga
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Photoshop Elements