They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Archiving Back Online

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Archiving Back Online

Postby Bob D » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:54 pm

For all those that followed my archiving method at (http://videoinasnap.chuckengels.com/source/guest/gueststars.htm), and ended up with problems in Photoshop Elements 6.0 (PSE6) cataloging (see my issues at http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1335 ), please note that I have had to go back online to use my catalog. I’m not entirely thrilled about this effort, but I admit that there are some benefits to it.

Since my PSE6 video catalog (I use a separate catalog for videos only) is completely messed up since I converted it from PSE5 to PSE6, I have had to use PSE5 to determine where my video clips are. All the work I’m going to describe is using PSE5.

My objective is to move the offline avi clips I have archived and cataloged in PSE5 to an online external hard drive. I bought a Western Digital My Book Essentials 750GB hard drive. This set me back about $180 (USD) (hear that Adobe!). The connection to this device was uneventful; just need to reformat it to NTFS.

I have 2,350 clips to move back online. The process has turned out to be pretty simple, but as with anything video, time consuming. I will describe the steps I have taken and the length of time for each step. All totaled I expect my 100 or so DVD’s will require about 20 hours to put back on line.

Before starting, think about the folder structure you want on your external hard drive. I created a top level folder called VIDEO ARCHIVE. Within this I have a folder titled 1990s (I’ll add a 2000s, 2010s as I reach that stage). Within this I have a folder for each set of DVDs I’m bringing back online. Specifically, they will match my previous archiving methodology of yymm-yymm. For example;
    VIDEO ARCHIVE>1990s>9002-9009
    VIDEO ARCHIVE>1990s>9010-9012
    VIDEO ARCHIVE>2000s>0001-0010, etc

Within each of these folders are the clips, which were archived on DVD’s with the same naming convention e.g. 9002-9009 01.avi, 9002-9009 02.avi, 0001-0010 01.avi, etc

So what are the steps I’ve taken? It helps to have your filename show in the catalog when displaying clips. Go to EDIT>PREFERENCES>GENERAL click the box for Show File Names in Details. From here it is simple and straightforward.

1. Select all the clips (click on one clip then CTRL-ALT A) that are equivalent to your archived DVDs.
    - Select all those with the correct filename
    - If you used my archiving methodology use the tags that identify the backed up DVDs. My tag for example is 9002-9009!
    - Make sure all the clips are highlighted (click on one clip then CTRL-ALT A).
2. Go to FILE>MOVE a pop up window will present itself.
    - Click on the BROWSE to set up the folder on the external hard drive.
    - Once completed, select OK.
3. A dialog box will request the DVD the clips are on. Input the correct DVD and hit OK.
4. The next dialog box is confirming that it will move offline items online. Select OK.
    - It is interesting to me what it does. It will first move the clips to your C drive. BE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH SPACE ON YOUR C DRIVE (at least 15GB)! The place it moves the files to is C:\Documents and Settings\Your Folder\My Documents\My Pictures\Adobe\Photos from Removable Media. It will create a separate folder for each DVD it moves. Do not worry about it filling your C drive up. The next step in the process will take care of this.
5. After all clips have been moved to the C drive it will then move them to the external drive in to the folder you specified in step #2. This will leave empty folder on your C drive reference in step #3.
6. That’s it! You will notice the disc icon in the upper left gone indicating it is on line.

A discussion on the time this takes.

First, defragment your C drive. I found this cut down the time it takes for moving to the C drive and from the C drive. Additionally, after about every 6-10 disks I put back online, I degraf the external hard drive as well. Also, these times will vary depending on how much is on each DVD and your own computer set up. Usually, my backups I’m working with are 3-4 DVD’s worth of clips.

Before C drive defrag
    a. moving from DVD’s to C-drive — 20 minutes
    b. moving from c drive to external drive — 10 minutes
After C drive defrag.
    a. Moving from DVD’s to c drive — ~17 minutes
    b. Moving from C drive to external drive — ~7 minutes

Benefits
As I mentioned in the beginning, there are some real benefits with having the clips on line. Using your tags, it is now extremely easy to get access to the clip you want. You can view your clips by clicking on them and play them in the viewer of your choice. This is advantageous because when they are off line you can not review the clip without inserting the correct DVD in first. No longer do you have to click on a clip, find the correct DVD, insert it, copy it on line and then begin your project.

I have not had the chance to do any work with my clips in Premiere Elements yet, but I anticipate there are some things still to consider there. Specifically, whether to use the clips directly from an external drive using USB, or move/copy them to an internal (video) drive for faster access time. In either case this is a big benefit to having the clips on line.

Precautions
All your video is on one drive! Arguments have been made about the reliability of DVDs as an archive method vs. online or some other medium. What ever your choice consider your exposure (disappointment) if something was to go wrong. Ultimately, you can always go back to the original tapes and upload the video to your computer. So here some things to consider.

1. Store your source video tapes off site. Possibly a safety deposit box, at work, or family member’s house. Consider the optimum environment for storing tape first.
2. Get another hard drive to back up your videos. This is an added cost and a personal choice.
3. Some online sites will allow you to store your information for a fee.
4. Get some back up software. Be sure to regularly schedule a back up.

I can’t say that I have done all these things, but they are some things I am considering and will most likely do.

And lastly, once I’m completed and have everything back online and cataloged with PSE5, I may try to convert that catalog into PSE6. Wish me luck!
Gateway DX4860 i5-2300 2.80GHz; 6GB Ram; Windows 7 Home 64-bit; 1.5 TB C-Drive, 150G F-Drive(video)
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Archiving Back Online

Postby Barb O » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:30 pm

Bob,

Thanks for all your posts about the problems and now your solution for managing your video files using the Elements 6 Catalog.

Barb O
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob D » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:36 am

You're welcome Barb. I wish I could of held off for a solution from Adobe, but I don't think they will have anything prior to another release.

Bob D
Gateway DX4860 i5-2300 2.80GHz; 6GB Ram; Windows 7 Home 64-bit; 1.5 TB C-Drive, 150G F-Drive(video)
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob D » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:18 pm

I thought I'd take a second to finish the saga on this. After finally getting all my offline backed up avi files from DVD to external hard drives and cataloging them in PSE5 I decided to convert the PSE5 catalog to PSE6. I am happy to report that it went successfully!

The main lesson learned is that Adobe did not account for large cataloged collections of offline media.

The other lesson learned is that Adobe will not fix any bugs they may have in their product. I spent considerable time documenting exactly what my issues were and sent them the results. They essentially said thank you and that was the last I heard.

Hopefully they may have fixed this for PSE7, but I have my doubts.

Bob D
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Photoshop Elements