They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

unsupported format ?

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

unsupported format ?

Postby dad of 1 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:46 pm

I just installed Premier Elements 4 on xp machine. Already has Photoshop 6 installed When I went to edit a avi file in Elements I get the following message

"unsupported format or damaged file/some of the necessary componets may not have been installed" I reinstalled the program same error message.

No matter which avi file I open I get the same message. No problem with mpeg files
dad of 1
New User
New User

Re: unsupported format ?

Postby Barb O » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:56 am

Dad,

Not all .avi files are the same - in fact they can be very different. There are many different kinds of video files made using many different codecs that can be stored in a .avi file. So please tell us more about the file that failed -
--- what codec?
--- if you don't know the codec, tell us what you know
--- if it came from a camera - is it a digital still camera that takes video clips or a video camera? Might help to identify the make and model of the camera
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby JohnnyO » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:23 am

Already has Photoshop 6 installed When I went to edit a avi file in Elements I get the following message

"unsupported format or damaged file/some of the necessary componets may not have been installed"

Just to be clear. Are you trying to edit the .avi in Premiere Elements or photoshop Elements.

If Photoshop Elements, I don't believe you can edit .avis there.

If Premiere Elements, you would be better off opening a topic inthe Premiere Elements 4.0 forum.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:49 am

Try to open the file in Windows Movie Maker and see if it works there, if not then the file is bad.
If it does work in Movie Maker you can convert it to DV-AVI which will work just fine in Premiere Elements.
There is a free tutorial on how to do that in our Products/Complimentary section ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby dad of 1 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:09 pm

Chuck...the free lesson did the job. The files were originally on vcr tapes transferred to dvd on a low cost dual machine. Then the files would not play inside of Photoshop 6 so I used isofter dvd ripper and converted them to Divx+mp3 (*.avi) they then played and had thumbnails. No issue until I went to work on the files inside of Elements 4 when it showed them unsupportable. Anyway this was my 3rd issue solved this week from the forums..... :-5 Thanks again.
dad of 1
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:17 pm

Glad we could help Dad :)

If you would please, post in the Introductions forum and tell us a little about yourself.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Photoshop Elements