They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Brushes, pencil, clone stamp won't work...

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Brushes, pencil, clone stamp won't work...

Postby Rockdoc » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:27 am

I am feeling a bit stupid, as I am guessing that this is something obvious. In PSE 6, I cannot get a brush, pencil, or clone stamp to work. I have set a foreground color that should show up. I tried resetting the individual tools, resetting all tools, and clearing the preferences on startup. This happens with both the graphic I am trying to modify and a brand new file. The undo history shows that I used the tool, but nothing shows up on the screen.

I am using a wacom tablet with the mouse.

The color mode is set to RGB/8.

I don't know what else to try. This is driving me crazy! Any ideas?
Jennifer
Currently the owner of an embarrassingly slow system, hoping that will change!
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Brushes, pencil, clone stamp won't work...

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:33 am

Can you get the tools to work with your mouse?

The first troubleshooting step should be eliminating that tablet as the problem. Disconnnect it. Reboot. Try the mouse.

If the mouse works, plug the tablet back in and go to the Wacom tablet and look for new drivers.

And, if none of that works, we can consider operator error -- though there's not much you can do wrong. You click on a tool, you write on a document, right?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby tjodork » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:11 am

Are you using the tablet at the time that things dont work ? I know I have had what you describe happen and drove me crazy also.
I have a Wacom 4x5 tablet and at times when using my normal mouse things I would be trying to use my normal mouse. While this normally works to use my regular mouse, at times, not sure why it would only want to use the tablet...I'm pretty sure when I switched to the tablet things worked.
tjodork
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:15 am

What type of image are you trying to use the tools on?
There are times when the tools will not work for me but that is because I have an image that the tools will not work on.
I am sure Steve knows why, I still haven't figured out what I do to make them stop working. Maybe it has to do with flattening the image or saving it as a jpeg or something.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Rockdoc » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:42 am

Ok, I pulled that same psd file I was working on into PSE on my laptop. I could work on it just fine, so I solved my problem with the graphic in about 10 minutes (though I spent about 5 hours working on it on my desktop where the tools don't work trying to select areas and fill them in, etc. Silly me). So, it is not the file. This also happens with new files - the drawing tools just don't work at all.

I quickly plugged my wireless mouse in and tried that - no luck. I didn't unplug the tablet and reboot, then use the wireless mouse. I will try that next. And then I will update drivers.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will post back and let you know.
Jennifer
Currently the owner of an embarrassingly slow system, hoping that will change!
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:59 am

Might want to reinstall too.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Photoshop Elements