They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Modify Print Layout files in PSE 10

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Modify Print Layout files in PSE 10

Postby Smavs » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:40 am

I'm trying to create some new picture pacakge layouts. There doesn't seem to be a print multiples option anymore and the canned layouts are not what I always need. I'm running win 7. I am able to copy and paste an existing layout but am getting errors when I make changes. I'm opening up one of the pre-programmed layouts. When I open it it uses notepad. In this case so I didn't mess up the original I was able to copy and paste the following file (file details below). "07.TwoHByThreeH". I saved the new file with the word "copy" at the end of the name. I then went in and removed the bottom 4 lines and changed the (8) to a (4) to allow only 4 copies instead of 8. If I just do a save I get "ACCESS DENIED". If I do a "save as" I get a "You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact your admin for permission". I am the only user on the laptop so I'm guessing I have full control as admin. I haven't setup multiple users. I just looked and it shows I am the admin and the only user. Under permission. It shows the only thing an administrator can't do is "special permissions". The only one that is allowed to do this special option is the creator owner or the trusted installer.?? Tnx for your help..

p 576 720
Letter (8) 2.5x3.5
18 0 252 180
296 0 252 180
18 185 252 180
296 185 252 180
18 370 252 180
296 370 252 180
18 555 252 180
296 555 252 180
Smavs
New User
New User

Re: Modify Print Layout files in PSE 10

Postby Bob » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:56 pm

You may have Administrator status, but that doesn't mean the programs you execute run as administrator. Notepad does not automatically run as administrator and it needs to if the files are to be located in a protected area such as Program Files. You have two choices.

The first is to save the modified file in an unprotected location such as the desktop or your documents folder and then copy it to the protected area. You will get a prompt that you'll need to provide administrator permission -- click on continue to allow the copy operation.

The second is to run Notepad as an administrator. Find the shortcut or an icon to launch Notepad (Start>All Programs>Accessories>Notepad), right click on that and select Run As Administrator. You'll have to OK the UAC prompt. You'll now be able to modify the file and use save as to create a new file in that location.
Bob

Re: Modify Print Layout files in PSE 10

Postby Smavs » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks Bob. I used the first option and It worked great.
Smavs
New User
New User

Return to Photoshop Elements