They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

importing .mvi videos into PSE 10

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

importing .mvi videos into PSE 10

Postby skip » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:20 pm

I recently imported about 20 .mvi videos into PSE 10 from a Canon S5 IS camera. Roughly one third of the videos were imported as a "scene group." One fifteen second video was imported as fifteen one-second videos. It's not really a problem since these videos will end up in a PrEl 10 project after I've converted them to DV-AVI files through Streamclip. (At least I don't think it will be a problem???) Just wondering why some videos would be imported in several pieces and others would not. All videos are about 10-20 seconds long so the problem is not occuring on just the long (or short) videos. It appears to be random.
skip
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: importing .mvi videos into PSE 10

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:42 pm

I don't know why some MVI video clips work in Premiere Elements, Skip. But none should. It's not a format the program supports.

Converting to DV-AVIs is definitely recommended.

And, just for the record, you are trying to use them in Premiere Elements, right? Not Photoshop Elements, which does not edit video.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby skip » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:45 pm

Steve - using the advice you provided several years ago, I know not to import mvi clips directly into Premiere Elements. I convert them to DV-AVI first. My usual routine is to download everything in the camera to Photoshop Elements (video and pictures) and weed from there. After weeding both the pictures and videos, I convert the mvi files, and then send the weeded pictures and DV-AVI files to Premiere Elements and work on the project. So I haven't done anything with Premiere Elements yet. I just downloaded the camera into Photoshop Elements and found that several of the videos were chopped up. Never seen that before and since I'm new to PSE 10 was afraid I was doing something wrong.

I guess I have another problem too, which maybe you can help. When I downloaded the entire output of my camera to PSE 10, PSE correctly found all the files on the camera. I believe there were 138 files. But when PSE imported the files all the pictures showed up, but only half the videos. I wasn't paying too much attention at the time so I didn't realize I had a problem until maybe five minutes later when PSE said it had found new files in my watched folders. The new files were some of the original files that did not import along with the pictures. I deleted everything from PSE and the hard drive and started over. This time PSE imported about thirty files and reported that something was wrong with the camera - low batteries or something. Changed batteries and got the same response about something being wrong with the camera. Tried downloading the camera into a second computer (also running windows 7) and everything worked fine (although PSE on the second computer still has mvi files that are chopped up and are presented in PSE as a group.) Man, after reading this, sounds like I have serious problems!
skip
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Barb O » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:06 am

skip wrote:I recently imported about 20 .mvi videos into PSE 10 from a Canon S5 IS camera. Roughly one third of the videos were imported as a "scene group." One fifteen second video was imported as fifteen one-second videos. It's not really a problem since these videos will end up in a PrEl 10 project after I've converted them to DV-AVI files through Streamclip. (At least I don't think it will be a problem???) Just wondering why some videos would be imported in several pieces and others would not. All videos are about 10-20 seconds long so the problem is not occuring on just the long (or short) videos. It appears to be random.

Just wondering why some videos would be imported in several pieces and others would not

Skip,
When I have experienced the breakout to Scene Groups by the Elements Organizer, it was because Auto Analysis was active in the Preferences of the Elements Organizer. The auto analysis had created scenes based on its evaluation of content of the video file and that video then displayed in the Organizer as a Scene Group. Perhaps that is what you are experiencing.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby skip » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:51 am

Barb - sounds like a good path to follow. Do I turn off all the auto analyze boxes in preferences?
skip
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Photoshop Elements