They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Is this a convincing collage?

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

FYI: The morguefile.com still that was used for the collage

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:18 pm

http://www.morguefile.com, Free Photos area, which I learned about from Bob.

:hat:
morguefile still use to make woman under waterfall (Large).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Is this a convincing collage?

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:38 pm

Bob wrote:
3) avoid the criticism that good portrait photographers never crop an arm or a leg at a joint and

If you can leave enough space between the edge of the frame and the end of the legs so that it's clear that they are in the water and not cut by the frame, it should be fine. Mask the legs off a little higher (but keep them in the white water) and make them rounded to suggest that water is being displaced and see if that improves things.

Done:

Woman Under Waterfall per Bob_edited-5 (Large).jpg

::wav::
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:57 pm

I don't know about anyone else, but I think that's pretty good.

The shadow of the water on the leg is a little dark, consider making it lighter. I missed your question regarding the contrast on the earlier photo. I think the contrast is about right, but you could increase the saturation (not the contrast) of the model a tiny bit. But, don't overdo it. You don't want to be more saturated than the background. Photoshop CS5 has a Vibrance adjustment that would be perfect for this. Vibrance increases the saturation of the dimmer colors without increasing the saturation of the more saturated colors. I don't know if PSE 10 has that control or not.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:53 pm

Bob wrote:The shadow of the water on the leg is a little dark, consider making it lighter.

Done.

I missed your question regarding the contrast on the earlier photo. I think the contrast is about right, but you could increase the saturation (not the contrast) of the model a tiny bit. But, don't overdo it. You don't want to be more saturated than the background. Photoshop CS5 has a Vibrance adjustment that would be perfect for this. Vibrance increases the saturation of the dimmer colors without increasing the saturation of the more saturated colors. I don't know if PSE 10 has that control or not.

Done: Vibrance increased from 0 to +38 and Saturation from -7 to -1 using the version of Camera Raw that comes with PSE7.

The verdict, please, your Honor.

Woman Under Waterfall per Bob_edited-8 (Large).jpg

img0416 (Defendant turning blue from holding his breath in anticipation)
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:04 pm

If you're happy with it, it's done! Very much improved over the original try.

It's fine just as it is. But, personally, I would like a just a tiny bit more color in the skin tones. If you feel the same way, you can try upping the vibrance a little bit more, but that is probably going to drive the purple too hot. Alternately, duplicate the layer with the model and apply the sponge tool to the skin areas. Set the tool to "saturate" and flow 10 to 15. With a soft edged brush, carefully brush over the skin areas on the upper duplicated layer to build up the saturation. Lower the opacity to tone it down if necessary. Don't make it too hot. I'm talking about subtle changes.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:01 pm

Bob wrote:If you're happy with it, it's done! Very much improved over the original try.

It's fine just as it is. But, personally, I would like a just a tiny bit more color in the skin tones. If you feel the same way, you can try upping the vibrance a little bit more, but that is probably going to drive the purple too hot.

Here I increased the Vibrance by just +2 (I, too, was not happy with the skin tones):

Woman Under Waterfall per Bob for mfVogt_edited-9 (Medium) (Large).jpg

Now, I'm happy.

:sold:

:tx: for your patient guidance.

BTW, it seems that, if I open a PSD with Camrea Raw and then, after editing it, open it into PSE7, I get a JPEG, i.e., I lose my layers.

Is that correct?

:?:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to Photoshop Elements