They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How to Make the Model Stand Between the Railings?

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

How to Make the Model Stand Between the Railings?

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:20 am

I would like her to appear to be standing on the bridge between the front and rear railings.

bg_stock&creator_015 (Medium).jpg

Is that doable with PSE7?

#-o

:tx:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: How to Make the Model Stand Between the Railings?

Postby Bob » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:55 am

Sure.

Duplicate the image of the bridge.
Add a layer mask to the duplicate layer -- fill the layer mask with black to hide all the layer content.
Add the cutout of the model. Place the layer with the model between the background and the duplicate layer.
Position and size the model.
Use a hard edged white brush and paint on the black layer mask to reveal the rails that should appear in front of the model.

Tedious, but doable.

If you don't have an action to add a layer mask, add an adjustment layer underneath the duplicate layer and create a clipping group. Work with the layer mask on the adjustment layer. If you have my layer mask actions installed, the Hide All or Hide Selection layer mask will add the black layer mask in one step.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:08 pm

Bob wrote:Tedious, but doable.

,,,, If you have my layer mask actions installed, the Hide All or Hide Selection layer mask will add the black layer mask in one step.

About 20 minutes, using one of the masks you suggest, which I had downloaded previously, and using a blue photo filter to cool the warm studio image of the model

:-5

:tx:

Between Railings 02_edited-2 (Medium).jpg

About 20 minutes more to move the model and add the reflection

Between Railings 03_edited-1 (Medium).jpg

:fg:

Any further refinement indicated?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:38 pm

She seems kind of tall compared to the bridge.
Peru

Postby Jayell » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:32 pm

I agree with Peru, but nice work on getting her behind the bridge. The second photo (upon close inspection) does need a little more work with the bridge bars.
The reflections looks good, but seems to be way back under the bridge (too far right on the photo).
HP Envy Desktop 795-0040xt / Win 10 Home/ Intel Core i7-8700 / 32GB memory / NVidia GeForce GTS 1060 3G
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:01 pm

If the model is approx 62 inches tall and the bridge rail is approx 42 inches = 2/3 the rail height of the model. :-k

http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/htmlpubs/ ... /index.htm

BTW...great job on the rail masking detail. :)
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:27 pm

momoffduty wrote:If the model is approx 62 inches tall and the bridge rail is approx 42 inches = 2/3 the rail height of the model. :-k

http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/htmlpubs/ ... /index.htm

BTW...great job on the rail masking detail. :)

Yes, I see from your link that the shortest recommended railing height for a trail bridge is 42 inches.

But in fact, the model is barely 60 inches tall. so in reality nearly 3/4 of her height should be behind the railing.

Thank you for that link.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:44 am

Besides the relative height issue, the studio lighting on the model is more contrasty than the bridge photo. I would try reducing the contrast of the model just a tad to help her fit into the scene. To my eye, you went a slight bit too far on the blue. But, it's not bad. You definitely did the right thing to reduce the warmth.

I agree with Jayell. The reflection appears too far back. She would have to be behind the bridge to get that reflection. For this photo, I don't believe you need the reflection in the water at all. You don't see the reflection of the bridge, you probably wouldn't see the reflection of someone standing on the bridge.

You might try cropping the bridge photo to allow the model to fit the scale and still be sufficiently large for the composition.

You're making excellent progress. :-D
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:24 pm

Bob wrote:Besides the relative height issue, the studio lighting on the model is more contrasty than the bridge photo. I would try reducing the contrast of the model just a tad to help her fit into the scene.

Contrast Reduced.

To my eye, you went a slight bit too far on the blue.

Backed off on the blue.

I agree with Jayell. The reflection appears too far back. She would have to be behind the bridge to get that reflection. For this photo, I don't believe you need the reflection in the water at all. You don't see the reflection of the bridge, you probably wouldn't see the reflection of someone standing on the bridge.

Reflection removed.

You might try cropping the bridge photo to allow the model to fit the scale and still be sufficiently large for the composition.

Great idea. Done, however, note that even with tight cropping of the bridge, the model is still smallish. Also, if the railing is 42 inches high and the model, with heels, is in reality 62 inches, then the railing would need to cover 2/3 of her body, which it does not. For the proprotions in this image to work, it seems the viewer would need to believe either that 1) the railing is less than 42 inches or 2) the model is about 72 inches tall.

You're making excellent progress. :-D

The process is so much easier with your masks than with the adjustment layer workaround.

P.S. Additional comments/suggestions welcomed.

Young Woman Posing on Trail Bridge_edited-2 (Medium).jpg
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Photoshop Elements