They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Editing captions

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Editing captions

Postby hiker48 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:28 am

I have added captions in Photoshop Elements 8 to over 3000 jpeg photos from a recent vacation. When I create a slideshow and ask that it "show captions" it plasters a stark white, very large caption centered on the bottom third of the photo. On vertical photos the caption actually protrudes past both sides of the photos into the black edge. Is there a way to change the caption size, color and position of captions? My only other idea is to make a slide show without captions, which is pretty useless in this case.
hiker48
New User
New User

Re: Editing captions

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:37 pm

Hi Hiker, and welcome to Muvipix! :wcm:

Multiple identical posts, especially in the same forum, won't get a faster response. In fact, it may cause confusion and be counter-productive. I can just about guarantee that someone will be along shortly to answer your question. Sorry I can't help, but I've never used the captions function in PE.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:57 pm

Okay, I took a look at this. You can certainly adjust the properties of each caption individually, but I'm sure that's not what you had in mind if you've already captioned 3000 photos! I looked in the Preferences, but I don't see any way to change the default size or other properties. Maybe someone else will be able to help.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby hiker48 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:19 pm

Sorry, I didn't mean to post twice. I didn't think it "went " the first time. I'm not only new to Photoshop Elements, but also to using forums. I usually just lurk to find my answers, but haven't found one for this.
hiker48
New User
New User

Postby Barb O » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:30 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:Okay, I took a look at this. You can certainly adjust the properties of each caption individually, but I'm sure that's not what you had in mind if you've already captioned 3000 photos! I looked in the Preferences, but I don't see any way to change the default size or other properties. Maybe someone else will be able to help.

Unfortunately, I suspect that Dave's answer is probably the way it is.

I don't have a system right now on which I could experiment -- but in general the slide show editor of Photoshop Elements is quick and easy: however, it choices of options are definitely limited.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:33 pm

hiker48 wrote:Sorry, I didn't mean to post twice. I didn't think it "went " the first time. I'm not only new to Photoshop Elements, but also to using forums. I usually just lurk to find my answers, but haven't found one for this.

No problem at all. There was a couple of hours between the two posts so I thought maybe you were a bit anxious. I sure wish someone had better news for you. Are all of your photos going to need adjustment on the captions, or is it just some that are giving you problems? I'm sure you don't want to have to make manual adjustments on several thousand photos.

Dave McElderry

Postby hiker48 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:13 am

The size of every caption needs to be changed to a smaller font. I don't see a way to change the size at all. It looks like my only option is to use a text box rather than using "add caption". I would think either Photoshop Elements 8 or Premier Elements 8 would give me an option to change the font size, but I can't find it. It sounds like the "add captions" is pretty useless if it covers a large portion of the photo in a slide show. It sounds like I will have to start over. Thanks for your input.
hiker48
New User
New User

Postby hiker48 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:21 am

Reading your response again "You can certainly adjust the properties of each caption individually", can you tell me how to do that? That would be quicker than retyping all of the captions, but I can't find any option for that.
hiker48
New User
New User

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:25 am

hiker48 wrote:Reading your response again "You can certainly adjust the properties of each caption individually", can you tell me how to do that? That would be quicker than retyping all of the captions, but I can't find any option for that.

If you select the caption by clicking on it, it will reveal the properties and you can adjust everything from there.

Dave McElderry

Postby hiker48 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:25 am

Thanks, Dave. I will try that this evening.
hiker48
New User
New User

Postby hiker48 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:12 am

SUCCESS! I feel pretty stupid. I added all of my captions by using "add captions" in the organizer. When I clicked on the caption, all I could do is change the words, not the size or color. It finally dawned on me last night after reading your post again that I needed to be in Slide Show Editor, not the organizer. Once I went to the editor, I could change what ever I want to. Thank you!
hiker48
New User
New User

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:46 am

hiker48 wrote:SUCCESS! I feel pretty stupid. I added all of my captions by using "add captions" in the organizer. When I clicked on the caption, all I could do is change the words, not the size or color. It finally dawned on me last night after reading your post again that I needed to be in Slide Show Editor, not the organizer. Once I went to the editor, I could change what ever I want to. Thank you!

A lesson learned in communications for both of us. I also made assumptions about you being in the editor. Glad you got it figured out. Now all you've got to do is edit each one individually. I hope you've got a lot of time on your hands. :TU:

Dave McElderry

Postby hiker48 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:49 pm

Well, I did a small "trial" slideshow with the captions made smaller and dragged to the lower left corner. They look much better now, but some of them did not stay in the very lower left corner, but moved over to the right about an inch, or up about an inch. Any ideas why this happened, and how to fix it?
hiker48
New User
New User

Return to Photoshop Elements