They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

efficient workflow and linking

Talk about slideshow creation, whether it's with Premiere and/or Photoshop Elements or a third party helper application.

efficient workflow and linking

Postby Elizabeth Haines » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:40 am

I am planning a multipart slide show with music using photoshop elements and premiere. This is for my daughter. So it will have segments like "baby" and "elementary school."
1. what's an efficient way to proceed? create folders of pix for each segment in photoshop? add a different piece of music for each segment?

2. is there anything "special" that I need to do in the sceneline or the timeline to make sure that for each segment the pix are linked only to the designated music? So, for example, I want the baby pix shown while baby music is playing. Do I have to mark the beginning and end of each segment, or is it done 'automatically"?

I suppose I could just experiment....I have the In a Snap book...where is this information?

Thanks.
Elizabeth Haines
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:26 pm

A couple of recommendations:

1) Make sure your photos are all no larger than 1000x750 pixels. You can do this with a batch process (File/Process Multiple Files) in Photoshop Elements.

2) Work on it in segments and then bring all the pieces together for a mix-down. The easiest way to do this is to create the slideshows in Photoshop Elements and then port it over to Premiere Elements. The slideshow workspace is so much easier to use in Photo Elements.

But do this only if you have Photo Elements 5 and Premiere Elements 3. Earlier versions use a strange transfer method to pass the slideshow between the two programs that loses way too much quality.

In case you haven't seen it, my Steve's Tips article for July, in our Products area, takes you step by step through this entire process!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Elizabeth Haines » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:33 pm

Steve,
I read your tips, but had trouble following. I am brand new to the software so I am just trying to understand the overall sequence of main steps. I am going to try creating 2 slides show segments, each with its own music, in photoshop elements 5. Then export both of them to premiere elements 5 and see how this works.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth Haines
New User
New User

Postby Elizabeth Haines » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:00 pm

Re the tip for optimizing photo files for a DVD

when you send a slide show to Premiere, one of the options is slide size of DVD (720 by 480). This should take care of optimizing, right?
Elizabeth Haines
New User
New User

Postby Vera S » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:37 am

I always use the workflow, Steve has recommanded.

If you like to zoom in, the resolution has to be higher - otherwise the result would be pixelated.
DELL 9150, D 930, 2 GB Ram, 2 160 SATA HD, Nvidia 7900 GS - Panasonic NV-GS 75 - Canon Powershot S 80 - WinXP Prof SP3
Vera S
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:03 am

No. Per the article, you need to optimize their sizes manually, Elizabeth. Or use the batch process, as in the article.

Unfortunately, if neither the article nor the All in One book nor the In a Snap book haven't been any help, unless you live in the Milwaukee area, I'm not sure what more I can do for you. If you walk through them (particularly the Steve's Tips) one step at a time, it should be all there for you.

So, if you've got any specific questions, I'll be glad to help you. Otherwise, take your take. Work through it one step at a time. It's easier than you think, if you just take it in baby steps. It really is.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Elizabeth Haines » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:08 pm

So I did a test run - created 2 collections of pix each with a different piece of music - and created a slide show. Exciting! Now I am ready to learn the details. thanks.

What's the title of the "all in one book"?
Elizabeth Haines
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:14 pm

Excellent news, Elizabeth!

I knew you could do it if you just go in there and started exploring.

Again, please let us know if you get stuck. But, as I said, don't be surprised if it's easier than you think.

The "All in One" book, by the way, is called "Photoshop Elements 4 and Premiere Elements 2 All in One." Chuck Engels, who co-wrote the "In a Snap" book combine both the Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements In a Snap books and then added a few chapters about how the two programs work together. As with the "In a Snap" book, there are some things about this working together that have improved, but Chuck's principles are the same.

Again, the book's another great value. About $26 at Amazon, but under $10 if you buy it from one of their partner booksellers.
Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 and Premiere Elements 2 All in One
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

need help with a ghost slide in my slide show

Postby Elizabeth Haines » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:53 pm

an unwanted still is showing up in my slide show as I am previewing it either in photoshop elements or in premiere. However, I don't see it as I am organizing/displaying slides. How do I make it visible so I can delete it?
Elizabeth Haines
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:01 am

How are you seeing it if it's invisible, Elizabeth? :-D

Seriously, describe what you're seeing and what you're not and what you're trying to do. I'm sure we can help you out with this.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Elizabeth Haines » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:28 pm

Well, I solved the problem by deleting the image - it was not a good picture.

But what was happening is that I saw it only after I was testing the output. I did not see it as I was assembling the slide show or when I was rearranging the order of images.

I have another question, though. What's a good format (.jpeg or .tiif) for saving pictures that I am scanning? I am doing minimum editing before assembling into a slide show and creating a DVD for TV. My Epson photo scanner lets me save as .jpeg, .tiff, and .png.
Elizabeth Haines
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:37 pm

TIF or JPEG should be fine, some people prefer the less compressed TIF file over JPEG. Best would be PSD. If you have Photoshop Elements or Photoshop, and it will recognize your scanner, you can save them as Photoshop Files and Premiere Elements likes those best of all.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby JohnnyO » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:19 pm

I have been using the less compressed TIFF for some time with great results. Some folks solve problems by using TIFFs instead of JPEGs.
However, I trust Chuck. If he thinks PSD is best, I would go with that. In fact, I am about to start my next project. I will use PSD this time. I don't plan to use JPEGs anymore. It's not that they give me ant trouble (athhough they did in PE2), but I want to use the best format possible.
Remember - if you downsize a JPEG, the original compressed JPEG will become even more compressed, resulting in a lower quality image. However, if you downsize a compressed JPEG into a TIFF or PSD, there will be no additional (or neglegable) compression, resulting in a higher quality picture than converting a JPEG to a JPEG. Will you notice that on a TV? I don't know. But, why not go for the best quality, using a format the Premiere Elements may handle better.
Also - definitely resize to 1024x768 or you will need to wait an unreasonably long amount of time for Premiere Elemets to render of encode.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Creating Slideshows