They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Spray Paint Art

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:26 pm

Thanks for all of the positive comments, mucho gracias. I really appreciate the sharing of tips and examples on this site.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby William Tranter » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:07 am

Fantastic titles, and I only wish I could air-brush as well as the guy in the video! Really enjoyed the video!
All the best,
Bill :razz:
William Tranter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:09 am

Welcome back Bill :)

Have you had a chance to check out the contest videos? Looking forward to seeing your latest :cool:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby William Tranter » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:53 am

Thanks for the kind words, Chuck! My videos don't come anywhere near as good as the contest winners (or the runners-up, if it comes to that!).

We're back home now for the rest of July and all of August, so I'm hoping I will be able to get some editing done in that time.

Our latest holiday to Cornwall and Devon was a bit different in that most of the places we've been to before, but this time we had pretty awful weather (thank goodness for National Trust properties to visit when it rains), so I took plenty of time-lapse cloud scenes, rain puddles and the like. Even then I'm not sure there's much to interest anyone.

I've still got to finish off the editing of our earlier holiday to Southern England - we visited some great destinations. I can thoroughly recommend "STEAM - The Museum of the Great Western Railway", which is housed in the former GWR workshops at Swindon, England. I had thought this museum wouldn't be very good because there's no actual steam there (it's all indoors, so of course you can't have steam and smoke everywhere), but I was very impressed, being a GWR fan myself. I've built several 3.5" gauge models of GWR locomotives, rolling stock, signals, etc. when model engineering was my hobby, but my back won't let me stand for hours at a lathe any more (sob!). That's one of the reasons I took up video editing - I can sit down.

I'm at that point in my editing of this holiday, and I'm finding making something creative out of my footage is not as easy as I might have thought, but we'll get there in the end.

Whether my videos, documentaries, call them what you will, are up to the standard of the contest winners is very doubtful. I tend to stick to simple cuts and fades rather than fancy transitions - I work on the principle that if the transition is noticeable, then I don't use it unless it is strictly appropriate to the scenes either side of the transition. However, after seeing all the videos I'm going to have to modify this principle.

All the best, and it's great to be back,
Bill
William Tranter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:41 am

I work on the principle that if the transition is noticeable, then I don't use it

That is a very good, and sound principle Bill ;)
Couldn't agree with you more.

Keep it simple when it comes to transitions, you want to show off the footage and images, not the transitions :)

If people are paying more attention to the transition than the video you have a problem. Check out Paul's winning entry for a good example.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Previous

Return to Showcase