They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Just A Second 2014 - 1 Second Everyday

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

Just A Second 2014 - 1 Second Everyday

Postby Kent Frost » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:27 am

Welp, here it is. Debating whether or not to do a fourth one, but I'm sure I probably will. Enjoy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9OkOt0mfIU[/youtube]

So, this year's video was meant to document my son Cameron's first full calendar year. However, as the year progressed, some major personal events unfolded in our lives that I feel should be mentioned. The following is a list of those key dates, as well as other notable dates. As far as current events, I considered adding clips of things going on in the world, but I found it difficult to add very many stories because they were mostly all so negative. I hand-picked a few things, but purposely left out other things, such as ebola, Ferguson, politics, pop culture, etc.

January 8: Stephen Morgan of KSFX interviewed us in our home about last year's video.

January 10: A view of "Springfield Underground" where I worked until May.

February 14: Our clients Mr. & Mrs. Lamb renew their wedding vows.

February 21: My father, Basil Frost, passed away suddenly in his home.

February 24: My brother Mark and my son.

March 2: Dad's ring. He wore that ring long before I was ever even born. He always used to tell me that I would get it when he was gone. If that's the trade, then I'd like to give it back.

March 15: Goucher Family Reunion

March 18: Stacks of prints. I ordered 4x6 prints of all the best photos taken over the last 11 years and bought 10 albums that hold 300 prints each. I've filled 8 so far.

March 20: The newborn photo session of Claire Keiper.

April 8: Portrait session with The Brown Family.

April 15: Lunar Eclipse at roughly 3:30 to 4:00 am.

April 17: The Wedding Reception of Derek & Marissa Dudding.

April 18: Cameron's first solid food.

April 26: Our friend Kate Whitney and her youngest daughter, Annabelle.

May 11: In honor of Mother's Day, we held a park party at Phelps Grove Park in Springfield, MO. First time in over 2 years I played out.

May 14: Cameron managed to scratch my eye during playtime. Fun stuff.

May 16: I haven't been much the skating rink type since I was a kid, but this place was a Springfield 37-year staple. So long, Skateport. Thanks for the childhood memories.

May 19: This day was just awful. A definite path-changer for my family. I was contacted twice that day. The first one was a call to tell me that the place I had been temping for since the beginning of the year no longer needed me - so there went my job. The following was a visit from our landlord's lawyer who told everyone in the building that they needed to be moved out by July 1 so they could convert it into an office building - so there went our place to live.

May 21: We have teeth!

May 24: A little swim time with Drew Hutchison, Cameron's cousin.

May 25: Ashley Havens's Maternity Portrait Session

June 15: Cody Brown's 2nd birthday party.

June 21: Lamb Family portrait session.

June 25: Sold my GoPro HD Hero 3 Black. A bit of a painful moment, but priorities are priorities.

June 29: Our new home.

July 2: A fun portrait session with Liam Durden and his toy T-Rex.

July 3: Mom's birthday.

July 4: Cameron's first July 4th Fireworks show.

July 13: Moonshine Beach in Branson, MO.

July 26: Cameron and Grandpa Dale.

August 11: Robin Williams dies.

September 1: Drew Hutchison's Hillcrest Vs. Glendale high school football game.

September 18: I got hired to work from home as a Tier 1 iOS advisor for Apple, Inc.

September 20: The engagement portrait session of Courtney & Jay Wallace.

October 8: The 2nd Lunar Eclipse of the year. Filmed around 5am.

October 18: The wedding or Courtney & Jay Wallace.

October 28: The Antares Rocket explosion. This vehicle was packed with food, clothing, and other supplies meant for the International Space station. There were no casualties, but the cargo was a complete loss.

November 1: The Medlam Children having fun in between shots during their family portrait session.

November 9: Our little boy's 1st Birthday portrait session.

November 12: The Philae probe successfully lands on comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko. An historic first for mankind.

November 14: Cameron's first birthday. We actually had his party on the 23rd due to scheduling conflicts, but this was the day!

November 23: His birthday party.

November 27: Thanksgiving Day. This is my brother and his daughter. We were saying hello to dad.

December 10: The Company Christmas Party of Nationwide Transfers.

December 20: The Company Christmas Party of Ryonett.

December 27: A late Christmas gathering with Carolyn's family.

December 30: My mom. This was the first chance we had to get together with her for Christmas due to scheduling and having a sick boy. Mom has been in and out of hospital care due to a third bout with cancer and chemo treatments, as well as a stubborn hip that won't stay in place. Here's holding out hope for a better year to come for her. Love you, Mom.

December 31: New Year's Eve. Time to celebrate and post the video. I hope you enjoyed it.

Thank you to PANG!, whose remix of Avicii's "Wake Me Up" was used with their permission. http://soundcloud.com/pangmusic
Dell Studio XPS 8100, Intel Core i7 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 64-Bit Win7. Camera gear: 2x Canon 550D's, 1x Canon EOS 6D body, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 & 17-50mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 & 24-70mm f/2.8L, and two 420EX flashes.
Kent Frost

Re: Just A Second 2014 - 1 Second Everyday

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:04 am

A most excellent adventure, Kent! Condolences on the passing of your father, and thoughts and prayers go out to your mom in her battle. Congratulations on the addition of Cameron to your family. What a great son you have there! Through all the ups and downs the one image that sticks in my mind? Cat tail to the face! :TU:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:40 am

Amazing amazing amazing, Kent! I can't believe you had the patience and commitment to do this two years in a row!

Last year's second-a-day went viral and was a major hit. Here's to an even bigger his this year!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Kent Frost » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:47 am

Thanks! This is actually #3 for me. :D
We'll see about its popularity though. I've decided I don't really care if it gets big attention this year or not. I'm more interested in what this is going to look like to me and my family in 20 years. ;-)
Dell Studio XPS 8100, Intel Core i7 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 64-Bit Win7. Camera gear: 2x Canon 550D's, 1x Canon EOS 6D body, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 & 17-50mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 & 24-70mm f/2.8L, and two 420EX flashes.
Kent Frost

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:02 pm

I hope you don't mind that I've shared it already on Facebook, Kent. I really love how dizzying the combinations of indoor/outdoor, close-up/wide, people/things, personal/national events are.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:55 pm

Congratulations, no better tribute to Granfather's memory.
"1 second everyday" is certainly a higly awaited event every year :dr:

I too have included a souvenir of my parents in my first video of 2015, I'll share it soon.

Best wishes of serenity and creativity for the whole year !
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby rtk1958 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:57 pm

A compelling video diary and some admirable and determined editing. Very nice!

Todd
rtk1958

Postby Peru » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:05 am

Another wonderfully done video. ::CLAP:
Everything, from the opening to the music to the end, was done so well. It was a pleasure to watch.
Peru

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:14 am

Wow Kent! Your 1 Second videos get better and better each year. Creative shots add interest through out. Dedication! My deepest sympathies on the passing of your Father. I lost my Mother about year ago and the void is there, just there.

I enjoyed watching Cameron grow through the year. He is adorable!

Loved the Aloe remix. Worked great with this piece.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:56 pm

Great way to capture the passage of time, especially as you watch your little one grow.

So sorry to hear of your trials this year, especially with you parents. Please give my regards to your mother. Chemo is #ell.

Congrats on your job at Apple. May next year be better in every way.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Hunter » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:56 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:I really love how dizzying the combinations of indoor/outdoor, close-up/wide, people/things, personal/national events are.

+1.

Loved it!!! Absolutely amazing. You are definitely a pro at this. Loved how you integrated personal and world events. The colors were beautiful. The focus pulling and drivelapses added a lot of visual interest, and the constant change every second causes you to keep wondering "what's around the corner". And your editing was spot on.

I'm struggling to keep up with a 365 photo project so I can't imagine doing it with video, but your project REALLY makes me want to try it.

Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread, but what camera(s) did you shoot this with? Did you do any color adjustment in post? I'm blown away by the colors.
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Kent Frost » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:22 am

Glad you like the result!

I used pretty much everything in the arsenal listed in my signature. Didn't do any color correcting, that was all in-camera.
As far as keeping up with it, I knew that since I was aiming to keep it concentrated on my son that I could pick a general time of day and set an alarm for the same time every day to remind me. It ain't easy, but it's worth it.
Kent Frost

Postby Peru » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:34 am

Kent Frost wrote: set an alarm for the same time every day to remind me

Brilliant idea!
Peru

Postby theOZer » Thu May 28, 2015 8:25 am

As I watched the days go by the realization that you put time into this vid every day last year, and showed what just one second can mean, can hold in each day...decent.
120V 4-slot toaster running Windows 11 Home Edition
theOZer

Return to Showcase