They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

An ancient hunting ground

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

Re: An ancient hunting ground

Postby Shrimpfarmer » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:36 am

My friend has goggles and I use a monitor, but which is best ? Well he raves about his goggles to everyone who will listen when we meet people. They don't suffer from reflection, they immerse you in the flying etc etc. What he doesn't tell people though is that they press into your eyes, you cannot see obstacles or who is approaching you and when you take them off to watch the quad land that your blind for a couple of minutes by the natural light as your eyes think you have come out of a cave. :-8 I have borrowed a set 3 times now but give me my monitor any day. I have made a box that slides over the sunshield that completely blocks out the light. I just rest my forehead against a small slot for my eyes and its just the same as goggles.

They are easy to fly in strong winds, its the takeoff and landing thats the challenge. If the wind is too strong though your video quality can suffer due to the G-force.

As for the Gopro I owned one for about 2 years and never used it. I hated the fact they have no video stabilisation and of course the fish eye effect. Its only now I have the phantom that I have come to respect what you can squeeze out of them. For any extreme conditions, wind rain, sand etc they can't be beaten.

A side benefit I get from the phantom is that I can also hold the phantom and film objects on the ground and the gimbal acts as a steady cam for the Gopro. Its not perfect but it holds it much steadier than I can.
Shrimpfarmer
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Gerlinde » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:12 am

Thanks for all the additional details, Ken. That is all very fascinating. I wonder if you get a delay between the camera and your monitor. I use my iPad Mini or my iPhone as monitor with the GoPro. It is a great help with setting up the camera, but for life view it would be really challenging depending on how slow the wifi connection is.
A) i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), 32GB DDR3-1600, SSD 256GB, 2x1TB+2x2TB Seagate Barracuda (72krpm), Geforce GTX 550 Ti (1GB), Win10 Pro 64-bit
B) Sony Vaio i7-3632QM,12gb DDR3-1333MHz, GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB), 750GB (7200rpm), Win10 Pro64-bit
Gerlinde

Postby Shrimpfarmer » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:28 pm

No delay at all. It would be impossible to fly with it if there was.
Shrimpfarmer
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:46 pm

What he doesn't tell people though is that they press into your eyes, you cannot see obstacles or who is approaching you and when you take them off to watch the quad land that your blind for a couple of minutes by the natural light as your eyes think you have come out of a cave

Excellent points! And people will approach you. More than once I've been focused on my monitor and then realized there was someone right next to me and I had not realized it. Happened once when I was out in the woods by a stream and I didn't hear them because of the sound of the water. He was nice enough but still it spooked me.

I like your idea of a black box. Mr. B said yesterday that I need a black cloth to put over my head! Your idea is better!

The steady cam aspects are good too. I have a terrible time holding my cameras steady and need all the help I can get. It almost looks like there are simply four springs handing down with the camera attached. Makes me wonder if something as simple as that might be an improvement over what I'm doing now.

Don't the GoPro cameras have multiple viewfinder width settings? If so, are they both fisheye?

Could the Phantom hold a 'regular' shape small videocam? Something the size and shape of your Panny?
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Shrimpfarmer » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:51 pm

Some people have put other cameras onto a Phantom but I would not recommend it at all. A Gopro is what its been designed for so anything bigger will affect performance and battery time. The other problem is its very difficult to get the picture from the camera into the video transmitter. The gimbal has been designed to use the data interface on the back of the gopro so it just clicks in place.

The Gopro 3 series have a multitude of camera settings and it can be a little bewildering. I have tried them all and read a lot of posts on forums made by people with a lot more experience of them than I had. Basically there is an optimum setting depending on how powerful your video editing kit is. For stunning resolution shoot in 2.7K 30fps. For more modest systems then keep to 1080p 30fps. Most camera modes have three width settings. Narrow, medium and wide. I tend to shoot in mediumfield of view to limit the fisheye.

I edit in Final Cut Pro X and I have an addon to that suite to correct the fisheye.

This is my latest film but this is without that correction. In fact my knowledge has improved significantly since I uploaded this one but hey ho, its a continuous improvement world :)

Shrimpfarmer
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby joper » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:50 am

Every time Ken puts up one of his fantastic Phantom 2 shows I get the urge to go out and get a drone as well.

If Ken keeps putting up these show we will all go broke. :)

I just have to get one I really do.

Thanks for showing us your work Ken. ::CLAP:

Peace,
John P.
joper
New User
New User

Postby Shrimpfarmer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:20 am

Thanks but my intention is not to bankrupt anyone :TU:
Shrimpfarmer
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Gerlinde » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:34 am

Beautiful footage again, Ken. I like the fisheye look on some of the aerial shoots. I find it adds to the overall feel. The music fits very well too. :TU:

Every time Ken puts up one of his fantastic Phantom 2 shows I get the urge to go out and get a drone as well.

I agree! :-D
A) i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), 32GB DDR3-1600, SSD 256GB, 2x1TB+2x2TB Seagate Barracuda (72krpm), Geforce GTX 550 Ti (1GB), Win10 Pro 64-bit
B) Sony Vaio i7-3632QM,12gb DDR3-1333MHz, GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB), 750GB (7200rpm), Win10 Pro64-bit
Gerlinde

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:55 am

joper wrote:Every time Ken puts up one of his fantastic Phantom 2 shows I get the urge to go out and get a drone as well.

If Ken keeps putting up these show we will all go broke. :)

I just have to get one I really do.

Thanks for showing us your work Ken. ::CLAP:

Peace,
John P.

Inspired by Shrimpy, I want one of these:- :exc:

Remote controlled A-380 takes to the Skies! The 16-foot-long model is powered by four small turbine engines. It wowed a crowd at a recent model aeroplane show in Hausen a/Albis near Zug, Switzerland.

http://showyou.com/video/y:-Rt9zX1rZFU
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Shrimpfarmer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:13 am

Well you will be able to sit up front in one of those. Might get a few complaints from the neighbours though :mad:
Shrimpfarmer
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:52 am

Beautiful Ken! :TU: Looks like you had some helpers about midway thru the video. :-D Love the tune too!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:55 pm

Nice video work. I am impressed at how comfortable you are taking the quad and GoPro out over the water.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Shrimpfarmer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:35 pm

All I can do is fly it to the best of my ability. If I lost radio link it would just fly back to me and land. If however a motor failed, then I would never see it or the Gopro again. Its a risk I have just accepted. To get the best shots you always have to put it at risk. The film I posted called 'Shadows Fall' was the most nerve wracking as I had to fly it almost a kilometre out to sea to fly around the lighthouse. :eek:
Shrimpfarmer
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:03 pm

Spell binding vids Ken.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to Showcase