They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Importing and viewing .mov videos

Specific to Premiere Elements version 2023

Importing and viewing .mov videos

Postby robertcallahan » Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:30 pm

So on to my next problem:
Premiere and Elements 2023 and Win 11. Both new installs on a new Dell XPS 8960. Installed via previous suggestions and moved files and catalog from the old computer. That all worked.
I went to import all my pics and videos from my last trip. Pictures ok. Videos all failed due to unsupported format. They were: 1) HDR 30 FPS 4K 2160 x 3840 2) Cinematic 4K 3840 x 2160 29.98 FPS. iPhone 14 max pro.
Adobe support gave up after I tried their solution of paying .99 cents for HECV codec. I verified it was installed. They told me to download and use handbrake like they do. Nice support.
I did Handbrake and it changes it to Mp4 and it all works, although I used the default Fast 1080P 30FPS.
So it there a real solution that saves me from using Handbrake? If Handbrake is the solution is there a "recommended setting", I seems screwy that I have to do this to import movies. I attached the error before running through handbrake and making them Mp4. I didn't have this problem on my old system but it was Win 10 and I had an iPhone 13 Max pro.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robertcallahan
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Importing and viewing .mov videos

Postby sidd finch » Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:34 pm

It is because its the HEVC codec which is MPG5 not MPG4. Not sure why the codec install did not work is there another HEVC plugin?

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby robertcallahan » Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:58 pm

I tried q-lite plugins to no avail. This is all new to me, so hesitant to keep trying new items. I removed the q-lite plugins. i've attached what system information shows
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robertcallahan
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:20 pm

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby robertcallahan » Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:32 pm

That is what I tried. support gave up after I told them it didn't fix the problem. .99 cent microsoft plugin, which is installed according to the installed apps
robertcallahan
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:45 am

I've also found problems editing some of the newest iPhone video with Premiere Elements. And this is a Premiere Elements that has successfully edited HEVC video in the past!

So apparently Apple is again creating new formats faster than many programs can support them. And this might well be the case here.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:42 am

going forward you might consider using the FREE Blackmagic Camera app to record video on iPhone. It is almost as full featured a Filmic Pro but the key word being Free. The Blackmagic might give you some additional control over different aspects of the video you are trying to record.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby robertcallahan » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:50 pm

so for what I already shot it is off to handbrake, what a shame. I've found out by trial and error which output to use so it works in Elements. During all the adding and deleting the videos now only work on media player legacy and not the default Win 11 media player.
robertcallahan
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby robertcallahan » Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:16 am

Thanks Sidd,
I tried and liked Blackmagic.
robertcallahan
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:10 pm

Glad to help :YY:

Sidd
sidd finch

Return to Premiere Elements 2023