They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Trying to put it all together

Discussions about High Definition Television, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and other high definition DVD formats.

Trying to put it all together

Postby Jayell » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:50 pm

I’ve tried to read through the high-def threads and absorb all the info I can .. but so many of them come at this from different angles, so I’m not sure I have my hands around this high def stuff yet .. and I have a new Canon HV40 camcorder sitting, wondering what I’m waiting for, but I feel like I don’t know where to start (spose I could start by charging the battery). :-D

1. If I record, capture, process (in PRE7) and output a high-definition DVD .. but play it on a REGULAR DVD player on a HIGH def television, do I gain some quality by the work flow I just followed? ..

2. What about the person I give it to after completing the high def work flow, who does NOT have a high def player or television .. do they gain ANY advantage to having a high def video in their hands?

3. Is a Blu-ray disc higher quality .. or just higher capacity? In other words can I output a high definition video to a regular DVD? (assuming I’m burning very small projects)
If I’m burning to a blu-ray disc, do I need a blue-ray burner?

.. and what about all those blu-ray output options?!?

If there’s somewhere I can go to find all this info, please let me know. I’ve done a little searching, but can’t find all the info in one place.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Trying to put it all together

Postby Bobby » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:00 pm

I love my HV-30 and I sure you will like your '40.

I always capture in HD and have a HD workflow (project). The quality seems better to me to start this way, even if I end up outputting to a standard definition DVD. And, in the future if I wish, I can always re-output as HD.

Blu-Ray is the only way to create a full length (i.e. about an hour or so) HD disc. But there are alternatives. I started a thread recently about buying a Patriot Box Office (PBO) box that will allow you to play HD content on your TV without using Blu-Ray. Blu-Ray is both higher resolution and higher data capacity. But the resultant video playing time is about the same as a DVD.

Yes, you would need a Blu-Ray burner to output to a Blu-Ray disc. You can output HD to a standard DVD in some cases, but your audience would need a Blu-Ray player to play it, and the time is limited.

EDIT: Upon re-reading your original post, the central theme seems to be attempting to put HD content on standard DVDs. I think that is a dead end and not worth pursuing. But again if you start with an HD project, you will generate an excellent quality DVD that can be played on a standard player with a standard TV. But of course it won't be HD.

Does that help?
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Jayell » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:43 pm

Bobby wrote:I always capture in HD and have a HD workflow (project). The quality seems better to me to start this way, even if I end up outputting to a standard definition DVD ..

But you're saying the quality is still s-l-i-g-h-t-l-y better (than using a standard definition workflow), even though outputting to standard DVD?

Bobby wrote: Upon re-reading your original post, the central theme seems to be attempting to put HD content on standard DVDs. I think that is a dead end and not worth pursuing. But again if you start with an HD project, you will generate an excellent quality DVD that can be played on a standard player with a standard TV. But of course it won't be HD.

This last paragraph seems like a contradiction, unless I'm not understanding.
Yes, most of the folks I share videos with do NOT have high def players or televisions, nor do I have a blu-ray burner), so I'm trying to understand if using a high-def work flow (when I can't output to blue-ray / assume no media player at this point) has ANY benefits in quality.

Bobby wrote:Does that help?

Yes .. a bunch! Thanks for taking the time to slog through this, Bobby!
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:53 pm

Using High Definition projects and then exporting to standard definition DVDs works great in Premiere Elements 7 or 8, but not so much before that. If you are using versions 3 or 4 it is best to downconvert in the camera and use a standard definition widescreen project.

For anyone using Premiere Pro CS3 or CS4 it is best to use a high definition project and export to standard DVD with the Adobe Media Encoder.

Using the high definition workflow in both Premiere Elements 7 and 8 or in Premiere Pro does give better results than normal standard definition video in my opinion :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jayell » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:48 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Using the high definition workflow in both Premiere Elements 7 and 8 or in Premiere Pro does give better results than normal standard definition video in my opinion :)

Even when it's being outputted to standard DVD?

Thanks for the additional input, Chuck. I am using PRE7 .. so guess I better go charge up the battery in that new Camcorder :-D
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:55 pm

Jayell wrote:Even when it's being outputted to standard DVD?

That's what's so great about the HDV camcorders, they make even standard definition DVDs look better :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jayell » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:40 am

Thank you, Chuck! That's the answer I was looking for. :TU:
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:45 am

Yup, I agree. But the additional benefit of using an HD workflow as I said above is that later you CAN output to an HD medium without re-doing your project. If you downconvert in camera you will never get the HD back again unless you re-capture from the camera, and then do a complete new HD project.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Jayell » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:02 am

I'd already stored that piece of info away, Bobby, and definately appreciate the reminder that that alone makes it worth not questioning using the high def workflow process.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob D » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:24 pm

Hi,

And not to side track this conversation too much, what about the type of computer you may need for a HD work flow. Does the work flow described here need a fairly new machine with lots of RAM, as opposed to down converting in the camera work flow?

Bob D
Gateway DX4860 i5-2300 2.80GHz; 6GB Ram; Windows 7 Home 64-bit; 1.5 TB C-Drive, 150G F-Drive(video)
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Jayell » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:39 pm

That's a very good question, Bob. I was thinking of a new computer in the next month or so, but currently have:
Dell XPS 410
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6400 (2.13 Ghz, 1066 FSB) w/2MB cache
Memory: 2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667 MHz
Windows XP, SP2
Internal Drive is 250 GB /External drives: 300 GB & a 200 GB

edit: I currently have all video files on the 200 GB external drive, with 73GB currently free
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ken Jarstad » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:41 am

I was recently able to produce a high definition project and create an AVCHD disk in Nero, burned on a regular DVD burner on a regular DVD which plays on my Sony Blu-ray player in high definition.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Jayell » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:39 pm

That's interesting, Ken. That's part of what I'm trying to understand. What parts of high-def processing can you leave out, but still get 'better' than normal results.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:51 pm

Jayell wrote:That's interesting, Ken. That's part of what I'm trying to understand. What parts of high-def processing can you leave out, but still get 'better' than normal results.

What Ken left out is the Blu-Ray burning process. You can burn high definition files to a DVD as long as you have the software that creates the correct file structure (Nero in Ken's case). But you need a Blu-Ray player to play it, and ask Ken how long the video was - I would guess 15-20 minutes at the most.

If that short time fits your requirements and your audience has Blu-Ray players, go for it - but if they have the players you might as well buy into Blu-Ray all the way and get a Blu-Ray burner.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:07 pm

Bob D wrote:Hi,

And not to side track this conversation too much, what about the type of computer you may need for a HD work flow. Does the work flow described here need a fairly new machine with lots of RAM, as opposed to down converting in the camera work flow?

Bob D

For HDV (from a High Definition MiniDV Camcorder, not AVCHD) you only need a good Core 2 Duo at 2.0ghz or faster and at least 2 gb of RAM. I can do most anything with my laptop and those are its specs except I have 2.5GB of RAM installed. The HDV workflow doesn't take a lot more than the standard definition workflow. I will say that my workstation at home is faster, it has 2 dual core Xeons, but the laptop does a good job and is fast enough for most projects.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to Hi Def