They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

ADVC300 - beginner questions (lots of)

MUsic / VIdeo / PIX related, plugins, filters, must have tools.

ADVC300 - beginner questions (lots of)

Postby Neale » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:28 pm

At the moment I'm using my recently bought ADVC300 to transfer VHS tapes to DVD, running it with all switches off (the default) except for SW1-6 for PAL. Results so far have been pretty good with the exception of volume level. But the audio is not a big problem as my workflow is to immediately transfer audio into Magix Audio cleaning Lab for normalisation, cleaning and sharpening and then importing back to PRE7.

What I'm mostly frustrated with is the feature set of the ADVC300 and could I make my transfers even better :?: This is because the ADVC300 manual describes all the switches and connections, but doesn't really give much end-user guidance concerning the effect of the switches and when they might be appropriate.

A case in point:
SW2-1 'Video-Audio adjust mode'. If left at default 'off' does the unit do anything at all to enhance the incoming clips :?: If so, in what circumstances may it be necessary to set it to 'on :?:

SW2-4, SW2-5 re Aspect ratio - does this have to be set to have Premiere Elements recognise an incoming 16:9 feed :?: Or is it down to PRE to interpret the incoming signal if a Widescreen preset has been used :?:

When using the Picture Controller software to control the device settings are the defaults sensible or not :?: For example the default setting for 'black expansion' is 'off' and showing 'weak' - but in the margin it says 'We recommend setting this to [middle] or [strong]". If this is so, then why isn't it the default :?:

Some other questions:
Does the ADVC300 'TBC' feature work automatically :?:
What are 'Colour Bars' used for :?:
Why aren't the Edge Adjustments defaulted to ON :?:
Cheers,
--
Neale
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children
Neale

Re: ADVC300 - beginner questions (lots of)

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:14 am

Wow, Neale! I'm surprised you haven't seen a response yet. Muvipixers are usually very prompt with a reply.

But it may be that you've finally got us stumped! I'm sorry.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Neale » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:39 am

It is the Easter weekend so perhaps they're having a well deserved break.

I've seen other posts where owners say that they operate with all switches at default so I suppose it is doing something - I just hate (from my own ignorance) not knowing what all those other possibilities (considering that many of the settings support up to 256 levels there must be billions of permutations) can do.
Cheers,
--
Neale
Neale

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:08 pm

I have a Pyro Link so can't help with the Canopus settings, but the question marks are a bit intimidating. Looks like a ton of questions when you look at the thread.
Maybe address your questions one or two at a time rather than 10 of them all in the same post ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:43 pm

Okay Neale. As I mentioned in a previous post, I do own a ADVC 300, but I'm far from an expert on it. I've been watching this topic and hoping someone with more knowledge than me could give you some definitive answers. I've played with only a fraction of its capabilities. I've used some of the noise reduction and color/contrast adjustments for some VCR transfers that I've done, and have had good results. Mostly I like it just for the TBC, which has never failed me. I know you seem to have had trouble with that and I wish I had answers for you. So I'll give you my best take on your questions.

At the moment I'm using my recently bought ADVC300 to transfer VHS tapes to DVD, running it with all switches off (the default) except for SW1-6 for PAL. Results so far have been pretty good with the exception of volume level.

There's a volume adjustment in the software, and I'm sure you can do it through the hardware too. Have you played with that? I've never had to, but maybe it would help.

SW2-1 'Video-Audio adjust mode'. If left at default 'off' does the unit do anything at all to enhance the incoming clips?

My answer would be yes, you can make adjustments through the Picture Controller software. I've never changed that switch setting, but have made adjustments in software.

SW2-4, SW2-5 re Aspect ratio - does this have to be set to have Premiere Elements recognise an incoming 16:9 feed Or is it down to PRE to interpret the incoming signal if a Widescreen preset has been used?

I've never fed it anything but a 4:3, but a simliar question was just asked in another thread regarding the Pyro, and the answer was that it didn't care what the aspect ratio was - it just feeds through whatever is given to it.

When using the Picture Controller software to control the device settings are the defaults sensible or not For example the default setting for 'black expansion' is 'off' and showing 'weak' - but in the margin it says 'We recommend setting this to [middle] or [strong]". If this is so, then why isn't it the default?

A good rule of thumb in either audio or video is to minimize the processing. It's usually done because of weaknesses or faults that require doing what you can. Processing is like taking drugs for illnesses... it's sometimes necessary, but there are always undesireable side effects. If you can do without, or minimize, processing you're better off. I have no idea why they recommend setting it higher. It might be a good question to pose to the manufacturer.

Does the ADVC300 'TBC' feature work automatically? Yes

What are 'Colour Bars' used for?

From the manual: "The ADVC-300 outputs color bars for reference signal from analog
video output. It is handy for making adjustments on images."

Why aren't the Edge Adjustments defaulted to ON?

Probably for the reason I mentioned above. Processing introduces artifacts, and should only be used when you have no other choice.

Sorry I can't be of more help Neale. I hope someone comes along who can give you better answers.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Neale » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:19 pm

That's a great help Dave thanks - I don't feel so bad now that the manual was not making much sense to me :) I think I shall lurk on the Canopus forums for a while.

I never did solve my problem with the capture pausing at clip changes on VHS videos of camcorder footage so I ended up loading them all into WinDV. However VHS videos of 8mm film and commercial videos I own import directly into PRE with no problems at all. I can only think that the camcorder that took the clips added something that the ADVC falls over on. Weird.
Cheers,
--
Neale
Neale

Return to Tools