They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Capture Analog Video With Closed Captioning

MUsic / VIdeo / PIX related, plugins, filters, must have tools.

Capture Analog Video With Closed Captioning

Postby DeafBug » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:44 pm

Stupid question. I have some old VHS tapes that have closed captioning on them. If I capture video with ADS Pyro or Canopus, will it strip the Line 21 during the capture? Line 21 is where the closed caption resides on. I have been researching for such capture device. videohelp.com forums point to many old or hard to find video capturing device with very complicated instructions on capturing closed captions. It is understandable as they are free tools or methods for doing it. I like something current and something that runs in Windows 7 64-bit. I am even planning on getting Adobe Premium Premiere CS5 that is due out in a few months (or so), student edition as I am still in school. I see that Encore will support Line 21 for DVD authoring which is what I want when I capture my VHS tapes to DVD format. But I just need to know a way to capture with closed captions. (perhaps this should be a new a thread?)
Intel Core Quad 2.4Ghz Q6600 on ASUS P5N32E-SLI with NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS, 8GB RAM, booting Windows 7 64-bit and 32-bit, and XP using BootIt NG.
MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, anti-glare screen with Boot Camp
DeafBug

Re: Capture Analog Video With Closed Captioning

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:48 pm

I added your post to a new topic, don't have an answer but maybe someone does.
I would imagine it would take specialized equipment to do the job.
If the closed captioning is on the screen the Pyro would capture it as part of the video (that is my guess), but you would not be able to turn in on and off anymore.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby DeafBug » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:56 pm

It really doesn't take a special equipment if the video capturing hardware does not mess with Line 21 on the video. I have done some transfers from the Tivo to my PC and redone the tivo file to mpeg file with closed captioning then burning it to DVD.

There are expensive hardware that does the closed captioning work but it has features that is beyond than what I want.

The only trick is that having the right simple hardware with the right software to do the job. Many posts on doom.org or videohelp.com are old and near impossible to find the hardware. The software is available. But I like the hardware. So I was not sure if the Pyro or Canopus does anything with the Line 21 in the video capturing.

Whether or not if it shows up on screen as one may not have the right software to turn the captions on, the only question is that if it messes with it or not. My old ATI All-In-Wonder video card does capture closed captions but then it is no good now, card died as it was 8 years old with extensive use as it was also the primary video card for the PC. I need a replacement. It just seems so hard now when it was easy back then. Even when the market pulled all the video cards that had analog signal. I should have bought it before it got pulled. So searching for the right video card or low cost device that captures closed captioning is hard now. I know the Pyro or Canopus is popular here so I thought I ask. Otherwise I will continue to be patient.
Intel Core Quad 2.4Ghz Q6600 on ASUS P5N32E-SLI with NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS, 8GB RAM, booting Windows 7 64-bit and 32-bit, and XP using BootIt NG.
DeafBug

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:08 am

Have you tried sending the question directly to Canopus/Pyro? They should know if their products support the feature that you need - they may even be able to refer you to other (rival) products if theirs do not support it. Could be worth a try(?) :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby DeafBug » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I did make a post over at Green Valley forums about the (Canopus ADVC-300) passing thru Line 21. The only product that includes Line 21 is the ADVC-3000. And the price is what the model number is or more. I don't have that kind of funds.

A poster mentioned that a Sony DVMC-DA1 will do it. It is about $400 and at least 10 year old product.

I guess I am back to square one on finding a method. I used to do this stuff with my old computer before it died. It took me about 3 years of researching and trying out countless of methods. Finally, I found what works and then the power supply went up in the smoke and took all the components with. I custom build my rig now and I can't find any hardware at consumer level prices to do the job. All products are at professional level prices. I like to keep my arm and leg.
DeafBug

Postby Ken Jarstad » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:12 am

I don't know the answer to this either. However, if they told you on the Grass Valley forum that the consumer A/D converters don't preserve line 21 (and assuming you got accurate info) then the A/D converters must be regenerating active scanning and synch pulses and may be ignoring the retrace area.

This is a long shot but perhaps an analog capture card would preserve line 21. I have the Hauppage ImpactVCB but haven't used it for a couple of years now, preferring to use an external DataVideo or Pyro Link. The model 558 can be purchased from ProVantage for about $37 usd. You may have to capture an MPEG-2 file but it might do the job.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_impactvcb.html
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby DeafBug » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:42 pm

I have been doing researching and it just seems that I would have to go "professional" The downside is that I have a fully loaded PC that I want to use for video editing. I know macs can do the same. I looked at a number of products and matrox seems to stand out quite cheap with their Matrox MXO2 product. (found $1,199 online.) However their closed captioning capture is intended for Macs. Product info

Kinda bugs me, if I go that route, it may cost more than the Canopus route. I can't get Final Cut for $399 like I can get Adobe CS5 when gets released with student discount.

Somewhere over the rainbow is the answer. ;)

Ken, I will keep the card in thought. Thanks.
DeafBug

Return to Tools