They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Constructing a green screen

MUsic / VIdeo / PIX related, plugins, filters, must have tools.

Constructing a green screen

Postby fonzybear » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:53 pm

Hey all, I was wondering if it's worth constructing a green screen yourself or just buy one? It's not really for professional use but if I can get away with just buying a green fabric and draping it over something for under 20 bucks, that would be fine. What is your experience with greenscreens guys?

Thanks in advance guys!
fonzybear
New User
New User

Re: Constructing a green screen

Postby sidd finch » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:07 pm

I have experimented with green screens and the do it your self route is a good cheap alternative. In my opinion the most important factor is how well you light the green screen. It really needs a lot of even light coverage. That helps the keying to filter out all the green. If you have creases or shadows the keying effect becomes more difficult because the filter see’s more than one shade of green. The Adobe software DV Rack does a great job of filtering once you capture the footage.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:23 am

Have a look here for basic materials.

http://stores.ebay.com/TubeTape
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby momoffduty » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:38 am

Do you want the green screen for just one or two projects? If so, your local videographer may have a green screen for rent. I rented a green screen room for 1 hour for $25 and that included lights.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby cdeemer » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:01 pm

Rent -- what a great idea!
Editor, Oregon Literary Review
Artistic Director, Small Screen Video
cdeemer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Wheat King » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:15 pm

Depending on your size of the subject(s) you could always use you monitor or TV as a green screen. For instance if you were doing a stop motion with Legos or "dolls" ...Ed ... :mrgreen: you could have your subjects "Act" in front of the monitor and key out the green in Post. to put whatever background you want.

Probably not what your are looking for in this case but thought I'd post this for anyone else reading this thread. :alien:
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:43 pm

There is a ton of green screen how to's on YouTube. Here is one by a guy and he has several:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6brdwY-dvU

If you only need a small screen for objects, then I have used poster board. The main thing is lighting. Lights need to be between the subject and focused on the green poster board and also lights focused on the object. You do not want the object to cast a shadow. I have had some success and also some failures...it all came down to lighting. The videographer told me that hidef camcorders work better which I do not have. And he also said paper works better than cloth. He gave me a name of a supplier within driving distance, but you have to buy this massive roll that is very wide so you don't have seams and think it was about $150.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby munickster » Fri May 30, 2008 10:42 am

B&H has a huge variety of screens - paper, muslin, collapsible fabric, etc. The prices for the cheaper ones are pretty reasonable, such as $21.50 for a roll of 53" x 12 yds green or blue paper. Go to http://www.bhphotovideo.com and search for chroma-key. You can filter with the menu on the left. If you don't have any experience with B&H, they're one of the highest rated online photo dealers on the planet. They're my favorite online store. My wife wishes they didn't exist. :-D

Dick
munickster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Fri May 30, 2008 11:43 am

"My wife wishes they didn't exist"..... that is like my wife and Microdirect in the UK. :mrgreen:
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Fri May 30, 2008 2:08 pm

I got mine from

http://www.chroma-key.com

It is like a big green drape with a pocket for a rod and the material is machine washable.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Return to Tools