They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Audacity Mixer Toolbar

MUsic / VIdeo / PIX related, plugins, filters, must have tools.

Audacity Mixer Toolbar

Postby VernonRobinson » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:49 pm

Needed to put Audacity on my new machine. I was looking to record what was coming through the speakers. However, I have no choices in the Audacity Mixer toolbar. I have sound coming out of the speakers. The machine uses Realtek HDAudio drivers. Any idea what might be going on here? Using Windows XP SP2. Audacity version 1.2.6 Updated to the latest Realtek drivers 1/2008. Following Chuck's Tutorial and having no luck.

Thanks,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Audacity Mixer Toolbar

Postby Jayell » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:30 am

If I'm understanding you correctly ..
Some sound cards just don't have that option. I know lots of the Sigmatel drivers that come with Dell's don't provide that option anymore. Look in your volume control .. look under Options ->properties -> click on Recording. If you don't have an option for Stereo Mix .. or What You Hear, Audacity can't help. But then you sort of already said Audacity doesn't have that option :(
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:09 am

Total Recorder from http://www.highcriteria.com is probably what you need; however, it isn't compatible with Premiere Elements.

Anyway, I downloaded and installed Audacity and couldn't get it to record what was playing in Windows Media Player. What type of file are you playing?

Edit: I tried the latest and probably last version of Total Recorder 6.1. After installing it, I rebooted, then ran the recording wizard. I was able to record what was playing in Windows Media Player.

I was able to start Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0, 3.0, and 4.0 without getting an audio error. Maybe as long as you don't change the default device in the Windows volume settings from RealTech to Total Recorder you won't have a problem.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby VernonRobinson » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:29 am

jayell wrote:If I'm understanding you correctly ..
Some sound cards just don't have that option. I know lots of the Sigmatel drivers that come with Dell's don't provide that option anymore. Look in your volume control .. look under Options ->properties -> click on Recording. If you don't have an option for Stereo Mix .. or What You Hear, Audacity can't help. But then you sort of already said Audacity doesn't have that option :(

Jayell,
Thanks for the tip. I neglected to mention that the recording control that you mentioned does have an option for Stereo Mix. However, when I check it, nothing seems to happen. In Audacity, there is not only no opton for Stereo Mix, etc. There are no options in the dropdown for anything. It is greyed out. I thought there would be something in there.

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:32 am

RJ Johnston wrote:Total Recorder from http://www.highcriteria.com is probably what you need; however, it isn't compatible with Premiere Elements.

Anyway, I downloaded and installed Audacity and couldn't get it to record what was playing in Windows Media Player. What type of file are you playing?

Edit: I tried the latest and probably last version of Total Recorder 6.1. After installing it, I rebooted, then ran the recording wizard. I was able to record what was playing in Windows Media Player.

I was able to start Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0, 3.0, and 4.0 without getting an audio error. Maybe as long as you don't change the default device in the Windows volume settings from RealTech to Total Recorder you won't have a problem.

RJ,
I was playing a WMV file in Windows Media. I also tried a tutorial from a ProShow Demo. Wanted to listen to it on my MP3 player. As I said in the post to Jayell, not only is the Stereo Mix option mixing. All options are missing. Maybe I should try a reinstall of Audacity.

//Edit Update: Tried reinstall. Waste of energy. Back to the drawing board.

Thanks,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:14 pm

In Audacity on my machine, I have the dropdown box and all the options are available. But even so, I can't record what is playing in Windows Media Player no matter which option I choose. I also made sure the Windows recorder volume control settings were set the same (e.g. stereo mix).

If you don't even have a dropdown box, then you have to enable the Mixer Toolbar in preferences.

If you do have the dropdown box, then I don't know why the options would be greyed out.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:48 pm

It definitely has to do with the audio driver for your sound card.

I had the same problem with my new system until I updated the driver for my XFI sound card, now it works.
You may see 'Stereo Mix', or 'What You Hear', they are both the same.

I don't have any problem with recording anything coming through my speakers, iTunes, WMP, Audacity, Browser, Anything.

If you search the internet for 'What You Hear Audacity Realtek' you will find a few people with the same problem.

Here is some good information
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php? ... bar_Issues

this may have a solution
http://driverzone.com/forum/printthread.php?tid=2121
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back in Business...

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:12 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:It definitely has to do with the audio driver for your sound card.

I had the same problem with my new system until I updated the driver for my XFI sound card, now it works.
You may see 'Stereo Mix', or 'What You Hear', they are both the same.

I don't have any problem with recording anything coming through my speakers, iTunes, WMP, Audacity, Browser, Anything.

If you search the internet for 'What You Hear Audacity Realtek' you will find a few people with the same problem.

Here is some good information
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php? ... bar_Issues

this may have a solution
http://driverzone.com/forum/printthread.php?tid=2121

Chuck,
I would agree with you. I was trying to follow along with the tutorial and basically got stopped. However, I went back and ignored the setting. Once I checked "Stereo Mix" on the sound applet, it records. The Mixer Toolbar dropdown box is still disabled. Oh well, back in business.

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:02 pm

I got mine to work too. I was sitting hear like a dummy with my USB headphones on with the audio device set to Logitech USB when I should have switched to the SoundMax audio device and listened with my other headphones.

At first I didn't think it was going to work because of the distortion, then I realized I needed to adjust the recording level. After 25 years of this stuff, I'm finally catching on.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:14 pm

Great, everyone is has theirs working now :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Tools