They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Adjustments are splotchy in clips

Specific to Premiere Elements version 14

Adjustments are splotchy in clips

Postby rcmm » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:38 pm

I'm just starting out with PE; Vs 14 is my introduction. With that said the answer may be a simple one and I just haven't figured it out. The problem I'm having is when I make an adjustment to a clip, whether it be color/lighting/other, if I have the CTI positioned inside the clip when the adjustment is made, it seems to come and go as the clip plays. If I have the CTI positioned outside the clip this doesn't happen. As I'm typing this I just had a thought, could it be that the clip needs to be rendered and that's why it's cutting in and out of the adjustment as it plays? Anybody else have this type of issue and does anybody have a solution?
rcmm
New User
New User

Re: Adjustments are splotchy in clips

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:21 pm

Could be.

The adjustments you make, of course, will affect the clip you have SELECTED on your timeline. Not the one the playhead sits over. But I think you already know that.

Some adjustments are more effective than others. Especially automatic effects like Auto Color. But even making some adjustments in the Adjustments panel are more effective than others.

The single most difficult adjustment to make is brightening a dark picture. You can only enhance those dark pixels so much! And trying to bring out an especially dark picture can lead to blotchiness. Especially on a longer clip.

What adjustments are you making? How bad is the clip you're trying to fix? Can you post a JPEG screen capture of the before and after to this forum so we can have a look?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:14 pm

A couple of additional comments:

Premiere Elements 14 can use hardware acceleration for rendering if you have a compatible video card and sufficient resources. However, some video cards have problems. Check the Premiere Elements Preferences and see if hardware acceleration is enabled. If it is, try turning it off and see if that resolves the problem. If that does help, you have one of the problematical configurations.

As for rendering, Premiere Elements will attempt to display the video in the monitor whether you've rendered or not. However, this can be a very computer resource intensive action. If you computer can't keep up with doing the calculations and displaying the video in real time, it will attempt to do adaptive rendering -- that is, It can reduce the resolution of the monitor playback or even skip frames. This will definitely have an effect on what you see in the monitor. It won't affect what you get from export as that is a completely different process. When you do a render, on the other hand, you are creating a preview file with all the effects, edits, and corrections applied that Premiere Elements can use to display in the monitor instead of doing the calculations on the fly. It's a lot less resource intensive and Premiere Elements will not need to do adaptive rendering. I'd give it a try and see if that helps. If you still see those issues after rendering, something else is going on.
Bob

Postby rcmm » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:32 pm

Thanks guys for the quick response. I was able to fix the issue by resetting the adjustments and repeating with the CTI outside the selected clip. I would have to try and recreate it. To explain a little further, the adjustments I was making were not extreme. Some were correcting some white balance issues and slightly changing brightness and contrast. To give you a better sense of what I was seeing, it reminded of a strobe effect where it seemed to pulse between a corrected frame and uncorrected frame with varying time between pulses, if that makes sense. I appreciate the help. If I get this again I will try to render and see if that helps. I checked the preferences and the hardware acceleration is checked. I will try disabling that as well.

Once again thanks.
rcmm
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:49 am

Glad you got it working, rocket.

If you run into the problem again, posting a before and after JPEG of your video will certainly help us help you.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 14