They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Need to shift audio track forward or back

Specific to Premiere Elements version 13

Need to shift audio track forward or back

Postby Naturopath4you » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:55 pm

I am new to this group and Steve said to post my questions here. Hope I am in the right place? I have Premiere Elements 13.
I have put together the video of me lecturing, shot with my cannon VIXIA, on the left panel of a split screen and on the right panel is the WMV video from my Screen Recorder Pro of my Power Point slides with all their transitions, fades etc. I deleted the audio from the Cannon as I have a professional mic on the laptop for the screen recorder and its audio is very much acceptable. ( I also did a back up recording during the presentation with an Olympus LS-10 digital recorder in case I need it.)
I am editing out various sections that are not needed in the final product, such as telling the viewer where the bathrooms are or to turn off their cell phones which were only needed in the live lecture. For some reason, when I import the 7 video files from the camcorder, (it is a 3 hour presentation), the last few are out of sync just a bit with the audio that was on the laptop. Can someone please tell me what I need to do to take a section of just the audio track and simply (I hope) slide it forward or backward (right or left) a part of a second at a time until it lines up with my lips as I speak.? I expect that this is easy once I know how. Thanks. David Getoff.
intel i7 Quad /Wind 7/64 / 32 gig RAM /Geoforce GTX1060/ 2 terabyte RAID-1 internal / 16 terabyte DROBO-5D external /Laptop Dell Latitude 3340 i5 Dual 2.6ghx 12gig RAM
Naturopath, Clinical Nutritionist and educator http://www.DavidGetoff.com
Naturopath4you

Re: Need to shift audio track forward or back

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:24 pm

Hi, David. Great to see you found your way to Muvipix!

When you say they are out of sync, is the entire audio track equally out of sync with the video equally --- or do things start out in sync and then drift out of sync? It makes a huge difference.

Also, is this out of sync issue visible on your final output or only when you play your project timeline? If it's out of sync when you play the timeline, it could just be that your split screen effect is challenging your computer and the video is just playing slower than the audio.

Do a test output using Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD with the Vimeo HD preset and see if the issue is still on this MP4 output.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Naturopath4you » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:51 pm

The Cannon VIXIA splits the 3 hour video into about 6 segments(files)
The first 2 or 3 were in perfect sync. Starting I believe with the 3 segment, the sync was immediately off as soon as it progressed to that segment (video file) and remained off. Since the previous ones were perfect, I expect my computer can keep up. If I go back they're fine, if I go to the 3rd segment from the cannon or further forward, they are off.
I can render/save it to check but I expect the same result
David
intel i7 Quad /Wind 7/64 / 32 gig RAM /Geoforce GTX1060/ 2 terabyte RAID-1 internal / 16 terabyte DROBO-5D external /Laptop Dell Latitude 3340 i5 Dual 2.6ghx 12gig RAM
Naturopath4you

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:36 am

If the audio track is physically shifted out of place for some segments, you just need to use some sort of "clapper" to re-align the audio with the video.

A clapper, as you probably know, is what they use in Hollywood before they shoot a scene. The editor uses the sound of the clap along with the visual movement of the clapper to align the audio and video on the scene.

In real life, I've seen or used a hand clap, a cough or even a dropped pencil as an improvised clapper. Look for something in your clip that includes both a physical action and a sound, zoom in tightly to your timeline and just line up the waveform indicator of the sound with the frame visual moment on the video.

If you can't find a visual/audio cue in your scene, it's just a matter of trial and error. Zoom in to the scene and slide the audio, a little at a time, until the voice matches the video. It's not an easy process, but there's no other way to do it.

This, of course, will only work if the audio is consistently offset from the video. If, on the other hand, you've got audio that starts out in sync and then drifts out of sync, it's a much more challenging problem.

Hope that helps.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Naturopath4you » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:54 am

Saving as I expected did not change the problem.

Okay I must not be making myself clear so I apologize for that.
I completely understand what has to be done and I
Completely understand the clapper idea if I can find such a reference point.

What I do not know and am asking for help with is
What are the actual steps I must take in order to shift the audio???

I have not been able to find instruction on what to click on to access this ability.
Do I highlight this section and right click and then click on Unlink Audi and Video??
If that is correct, is there a method, possibly with right and left arrows, to move the audio in small increments at a time and then check the sync and then move again till it is correct? if I have to just drag it, that will not be either calibrated or repeatable.

It is those mechanics that I want to make sure I understand before trying something and screwing up what I have taken hours to edit. In addition, how to I greatly expand the size of the audio so I might be able to see it large enough to maybe locate some distinct sound to use for syncing on
Naturopath4you

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:28 pm

I guess what was unclear was if your audio was from your camcorder or if it was from a separate audio device. I'd got the idea from our other correspondence that you were using audio that was recorded with a separate audio recorder.

If the audio is linked to your video then, yes, right-click and select the option to Unlink Audio and Video. Then click off the clip to deselect (otherwise you'll have both the audio and video still selected) and select the audio only. You should then be able to slide the audio into a new position. (You can't nudge it with right and left arrows. You'll need to move the audio clip by dragging it -- so make sure you're zoomed into the timeline so that your movements are not too large.)

Naturally, you will want to make sure this clip is separate from your other clips. You want to ensure that you're only moving the audio you want to move and not shifting the audio that is in sync out of sync, right?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:19 pm

We do have a couple of tutorials for subscribers on Camera Sync, which includes lining up the audio. It can be a tedious process sometimes, as Steve refers to earlier it is best to have some visual and audible spot on the video that you can use to not only audibly but visually sync everything up.

http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:29 pm

Steve, after you unlink the video and audio and select the audio track, you used to be able to nudge the audio in Premiere Elements by pressing and holding the alt key while using the left or right arrow keys. A single click of the alt+arrow key would move the clip by 1 frame. Adding shift (i.e. shift+alt+arrow key) would nudge by a larger increment. Did Adobe remove this capability? I don't have any recent version of Premiere Elements to test.
Bob

Postby Naturopath4you » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:55 pm

Chuck
thank you for the link to the 2 parts of Camera Sync
However when I click on the link and it clearly shows that I am in fact signed on, they both say subscriber only and will not let me view either one??
DO I need to pay for a paid subscription to view them? If so, I will try what Steve wrote first and if I have trouble I will happily get a paid subscription and then watch them. If that is the issue that it won't let me do so now
David
Naturopath4you

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:03 pm

Hi David, Yes they are part of our paid subscription. There is a lot more that cames with a subscription, but much of what you need can be obtained from the forum as well, that is all free :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Naturopath4you » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:24 pm

I hate asking questions by web, text, and email. It has slowed down everything I ever need help with (rarely) by a factor of 10.
The telephone is 1000% (actually more than that) faster as every back and forth is handled immediately and things that were not understood by either party are handled instantly as well.
If I could have (or even now) pay someone for their time on a phone call, this would have all been taught to me real time in under 10 minutes days ago.
I pay a few hundred to intuit every year just so I can get a real live tech support person almost 24/7 if I have a business question. I would happily throw $50.00 or more to someone to just be able to ask these questions on a 10 minute phone call. I would have had this all done days ago when I actually had the editing time to have been working on it!
Offering a paid phone time option for those of us who understand just how much faster we can get an issue handled would be a FANTASTIC feature
David
Naturopath4you

Postby Naturopath4you » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:34 pm

Bob,
thank you VERY MUCH!!! Steve was incorrect and you are right. Alt with right and left arrows does indeed allow me to move the audio very slowly back and forth
Hurray
Much appreciated
David
Naturopath4you

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:00 pm

I sometimes do help our premium subscribers with specific issues over Skype, David, and it usually works out to cheaper than phone support. It also gives you a year of unlimited access to our tutorials, tips, music and other media, if you're interested.

Though I'm glad to hear Bob found a not-so-obvious feature too! In some 12 years of using this program, I never knew that was there! That's why community support is so much better than one-on-one.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Naturopath4you » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:52 pm

All you helpful guys, I have another question
I tried to save the audio track to a separate file but the Export is greyed out so I cannot do a File-Export audio only

I need to pull it out to clean it up with Audition in ways that Premiere simply does not have the ability to do to my satisfaction and then bring the cleaned audio back in.
I have some background air conditioning that I can easily pull out in Audition but have tried all of Premiers audio editing and am not happy
Someone please tell me how to save the audio separately.
I could render it and see about extracting the audio with Audition or Audacity but that seems like a long many hour extra rendering step.
Can't I just save an audio track into its own file???
David
Naturopath4you

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:09 pm

Hi David,

All export options require you to use "Share". This is covered in Steve's book and in a few of our tutorials including;
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0

Once you press "Share" you will have the option below. You will need to scroll down to the bottom of the list.

Audio Export.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to PRE Version 13