They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Is there anyway to improve quality recordings?

Specific to Premiere Elements version 13

Is there anyway to improve quality recordings?

Postby Photochief » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:23 pm

Hi to all,
I am downloading TV programs via PlayLater to watch at a later date using its maximum Video Quality Settings in the MPEG-4 format (The only one offered).

Since we don't like crowding around a small computer screen to view a movie I am transferring the program to DVD to play through my normal TV.
I am using the PRE 13 program with its default settings. Is there any way I can improve the quality by changing anything anywhere or is it basically ‘Garbage In, Garbage Out’, what ever I start with is the best I am ever going to get? I occasionally find a situation where the video stops while the audio continues and in a few moments they link up again and play normally. I am not sure if this problem originally occurs in the PlayLater downloads or during the PRE encoding and transferring to Disc. I need to do some testing. Is it better to first make an ‘ISO’ or ‘Folder’ image before transferring it to a DVD? This takes an extra step but could it make an appreciable quality difference worth the effort?
Respectfully, Photochief
Photochief

Re: Is there anyway to improve quality recordings?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:40 am

If the video is stopping while the audio continues, you've got issues that aren't related to the "quality" of your recording, Photochief.

The first thing I would do is open one of your Playlater videos in a program like G Spot or Media Info. This will give you information including the resolution, frame rate, video bit rate and audio and video codec. Once you (or we) have that information, we could start building a workflow that will give you maximum effect.

Programs like PlayLater are generally not designed to create editable video. They're designed to capture "delivery" video in as small as size file as possible. Which can mean a number of compromises and quite possibly some non-standard codecs and bit rates.

You're right about garbage in, garbage out. There are ways to do some cleanup of video and audio. But if you've got a low quality source file (which may still look good, one generation in), there's only so much you can do to improve it.

But get us the specs from G spot or Media Info and we'll see what we learn from that.
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:07 am

It would also be helpful to have your system specs - processor, RAM, video card, minimum.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Photochief » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:41 pm

Hi Dave and Steve,
Thank you for responding.
My Computer = DELL XPS 8500.
Dell Computer.jpg[/attachment [attachment=0]Dell Computer-1.jpg

I am working on obtaining the information Steve requested in his reply and I will send it shortly.
Sorry for the image placement - I tried for half an hour to place the images above these statements but nothing I tried would work.
Respectfully, Photochief
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Photochief

Postby Photochief » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:01 pm

Hi Steve,

Muvipix-2.jpg

I believe this is the information you requested. I used the G-Spot program as you suggested. It doesn't mean anything to me but I am still trying to learn the PRE 13 program. If there are any other tests that would help please let me know. I appreciate any help you can give me. I am able to view these PlayLater videos with a minimum of difficulty but besides watching these videos I am using them to learn the mechanics of the program so I want to know what would make them better. The reason for my question is my DVD Blu-Ray DVD player appears to take a normal DVD movie disc and somehow upgrade and improve its sharpness and clarity (at least to my old eyes) which I imagine is by some software tweaking in the player so I wondered if there was also something that could be done when the disc is recorded.
Respectfully, Photochief
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Photochief

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:33 pm

Go a project where you've placed this video on your timeline and then go to Edit/Project Settings. List the Project Settings that are listed on the General page.

Your video is being recorded in 1280x720 AVC, a format that Premiere Elements usually doesn't edit natively -- which may be why you're getting start and stop issues when you play the timeline. But, if you're outputting your video as a DVD, then you are creating a 720x480 video of it, which has reduced resolution.

You say you're playing it through a "regular TV", but is this a regular standard definition TV or a regular HDTV? There's a huge difference in how a DVD will look on those two TVs.

If you are producing a standard definition DVD, then it's possible your BluRay player is upscaling it for your HDTV -- which can look almost like high-def video. Almost, but not quite.

In short, you've got a couple of things to consider:
1) Is the original TV signal you're recording standard definition or HDTV? Even if you're recording cable TV, it's possible you're only getting a standard definition signal.
2) Is your Premiere Elements project set up for high-def editing?
3) Are you playing your DVD on a DVD player or a BluRay player?
4) Are you watching your DVD on a standard or HDTV?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Photochief » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:21 pm

Hi Steve,
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.
Here are my Project settings:
My Project Settings.jpg

and my PlayLater settings:
PlayLater Settings.jpg

Now to your questions:
1. The signal I am receiving is what ever PlayLater is sending. I have my settings set at HD but don’t know if that is what I am receiving. How can I tell?
2. My Premiere Elements 13 is set at what ever Adobe’s install program puts on my computer. I didn’t know I could make any editing changes.
3. I am watching these videos on a Samsung BD-E6400 Blu-Disc player and a Hitachi P50H401 50” Plasma TV.
My wife occasionally watches them on a 32” RCA 32LA30RQD LCD TV/DVD combination. It is on the Hitachi 50” that I notice an increase (?) in quality.
Perhaps it is all in my mind.
4. Answered in #3 above.

Thanks again, Respectfully, Photochief
Photochief

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:30 am

That said, I think you're getting as high a quality as you're capable of getting, with that workflow.

As I said, if you're watching your finished videos on DVD, you're watching a reduced resolution. But other than that, everything should look pretty good.

Is there something in particular about the "quality" of the discs you're unhappy with?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Photochief » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:53 am

Hi Steve,
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
NO, I am happy with the 'quality' of what I am producing, I just felt that if I was not getting the best I could, I should investigate how I could improve the finished product. This is all new to me and I am still trying to learn the program.
I read somewhere in your book that instead of going directly to Disc it would be better to either render it to a 'Folder' or 'ISO' and then copy that for the finished Disc. Do you still recommend that procedure as the best way to produce the finished DVD?
Thanks again, Respectfully, Photochief
Photochief

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:13 am

Well, I don't know if "better" was what I meant. It's just a workflow I prefer because:

a) It prevents a problem interfacing with your disc burner from screwing up your whole DVD authoring;
b) It makes it easy to produce several copies of a disc; and
c) It saves me a nice, compact final version of my movie that I can play or burn off a copy of at any time.

So it's not a necessary step. But it does offer some nice benefits.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Photochief » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:48 pm

Hi Steve,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my many questions.
Respectfully, Photochief
Photochief

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:59 pm

That's what Muvipix is all about, Chief!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Naturopath4you » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:53 pm

Not sure if you might possibly just want to "Cleanup" the audio? If the audio has issues such as hiss, hum, background noise like from an air conditioner or if it has too much bass treble or some other frequency, you could save the audio separately and open it in Adobe Audition or the free program- Audacity or any audio program you might have or know how to use and make changes. Eliminating 60 cycle hum, other background noises or making it easier to understand voices by playing with Audition's 10-20-or 30 channel equalizers can do wonders. This may not be what you were looking for but I thought I would chime In just in case. These guys have all helped me a great deal as I better learn the video editing with Elements 13
David
intel i7 Quad /Wind 7/64 / 32 gig RAM /Geoforce GTX1060/ 2 terabyte RAID-1 internal / 16 terabyte DROBO-5D external /Laptop Dell Latitude 3340 i5 Dual 2.6ghx 12gig RAM
Naturopath, Clinical Nutritionist and educator http://www.DavidGetoff.com
Naturopath4you

Return to PRE Version 13