They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Resolutions, Project Settings and Scaling

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Resolutions, Project Settings and Scaling

Postby HSA » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:19 pm

Question regarding “Resolutions”, “Project Settings” and “Scaling”

This question, probably applies across all versions of PE, though I’m using PE 11 on a Windows 7 machine.

From a Public Domain website, I downloaded two versions of the same movie, in different formats/resolutions: SD 640 X 480, the other is 1080p (both confirmed in “PE>File>Get Propertied For”). I intend to use only 2 or 3 minutes of the film in my project. My project will be standard format DVD: 720 X 480. In PE, I know where the “Project Settings” dialog is located, along with the function to “Force Settings”.

If I import the 640 x 480 version, it almost fills the PE “Monitor Panel”. In “Applied Effects>Motion>Scaling”, only minor “Position” and “Scaling” are needed to fill the Monitor Panel (I add a little sharpening).

Alternatively, if I import the 1080p version, the image is WAY shrunken in the “Monitor Panel”; however, I can easily Scale this up [“Applied Effects>Motion>Scaling”] (I add a little sharpening).

Remember, the project will be forced to 720x480 and burned to standard DVD.

So . . . which film version should I start with? Is there any video editing or PE theory here?

Thank you for any assistance,

Howard
HSA

Re: Resolutions, Project Settings and Scaling

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:20 am

To give you a complete answer I'd need to know more about the format, frame rate, codec and compression systems of the video you're downloading from the public domain site. But we can speed in general terms anyway.

1. Note that your 640x480 video is 4:3 (the old TV standard) but the 1920x1080 video you've downloaded is 16:9 widescreen -- so when you mix the two in one project you're going to get letterboxing. You'll need to decide if you have black bars on the sides of the 4:3 video or black bars above and below the 16:9 video. Both videos will not fill your video frame.

2. Because you're mixing different resolutions (and possibly frame rates), it might be best to force your project settings when you set up your project rather than let the program set up the project based on the first clip you add to your timeline. If you don't know how to do that, we can show you how -- but you'll need to do it at the begin, before you start editing. You can't change these settings once you start editing.

3. Before you add any video to your project, go to the program's preferences (under the Edit menu on a PC) and, on the General page, make sure the Scale to Frame Size option is checked. This will ensure that any video you add to your timeline will enlarge or shrink to fill your video frame. (Though, as I said above, there will be letterboxing if you mix 4:3 and 16:9 video.) But you need to do this BEFORE you add the media to your project.

As you can see, combining this media takes some pre-planning and preparing, so I'm glad you've come to us before you've started editing rather than trying to fix things midway through your project.

Finally, will you be adding any original footage to your video project? Video you've shot? If so, that too will be a factor you'll need to consider.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby HSA » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:01 pm

Steve, thank you for your assistance.

Yes, I am familiar (not an expert, but familiar) with Project Settings and Forced Project Settings, which I learned some time ago from one of your instructional videos.

What I have not heretofore considered or tested, however, is EDIT > Program Preferences > General > Scale to Frame Size (from you numbered paragraph 3 above). I will test this shortly, but the name alone seems to indicate that that's where I should be.

Replying to your final paragraph: No, I will not be adding to the project any original footage video that I’ve shot. It has all come from (i) original family VHS tape [all captured to MP4 and now ready to go], (ii) brief clips taken from downloaded public domain movies or shorts, (iii) still images (old photographs), and (iv) music.

Your overall point is well taken: Lots of things need to be considered and pre-planned before one begins a new project, especially a project that contains much mixed media.

Again thank you for your help,

Howard
HSA

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:40 am

Let us know if you have any other questions, Howard. I wish you the best with your project!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 11