They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

I Can Not Figure Out This Audio Problem

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Postby HSA » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:46 pm

I captured a three-minute video from VHS tape to digital, using the Easy-Link A-to-D converter. I spent a LOT of time editing the improving the video and audio using Premier Elements 11 (on a well-functioning Windows 7 computer).

PART ONE:
When I play the project in Premier Elements 11, both video and audio are perfect from beginning to end.

PART TWO:
The final Premier Elements project is burned to a 4.7 GB FOLDER (not burned to disc).
Inside the “VIDEO_TS” folder are the correct files. To play the video, I click the “.VOB” file, or select the “Open With” command.
When I open the “VOB” with Windows Media Player, the project ---- both video and audio ---- play perfectly. However, when I open the “VOB”file with either Media Monkey, Nero ShowTime Essentials or PotPlayer, the video and audio play correctly for 30 or so seconds, then the audio cuts-out/stops such that there is video but no audio.

PART THREE:
The final project is burned to disc (4.7 GB DVD) using Premier Elements 11 (it’s only a three-minute video).
I insert the completed disc into my computer’s DVD drive.
Inside the “VIDEO_TS” folder are the correct files.
Upon closing the DVD drive, the video will auto begin, or I can use the “Open With” command to select which payer to use.

If I open the “.VOB” file with Windows Media Player or PotPlayer, the video and audio play correctly for the entire three minutes.

If I open the “.VOB” file with Media Monkey or Nero ShowTome Essentials, the video is fine but the audio stops after about 30 or 40 seconds.

PART FOUR:
If I place the aforementioned disc in my livingroom audio/video system, having an “Oppo” DVD/Blu-ray player, the disc automatically loads and plays both video and audio all the way through without problem.

QUESTION:
Can anyone suggest why, in either the computer file or DVD disc, the VOB plays correctly when using Windows Media Player, but the audio cuts out after the first 30 or 40 seconds when using the other players (yet all is fine when played through my Oppo DVD/Blu-ray player?

Thank you,

Howard
HSA

Re: I Can Not Figure Out This Audio Problem

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:52 am

First, let's leave Windows Media Player out of the discussion completely.

Second, load VLC Media Player onto your computer. One of the options in VLC is to open a folder rather than an individual file. Select this option to open the Video_TS folder and your disc's main menu should load and everything should play perfectly.

From your description, it sounds like all of the DVD files have been correctly created. However, when you select and open individual files, you may not be selecting the correct file or all of the correct files. (Though I don't know why your audio suddenly cuts out 40 seconds in.)

But try using VLC Media Player and its Open Folder option. If all works well then you know it's an issue with your player software.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby HSA » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:53 pm

Steve, thank you for the suggestion.

I downloaded and tried the VLC Media Player. My Premier Elements-created videos play as they should; no audio cut-outs after 30 to 40 seconds.

Interestingly, I've now tested the problem with three short videos I've created over the past year using PE. All play properly in Windows Media Player and the VLC Media Player. In contrast, using either of Media Monkey, Nero or PotPlayer, most of the time the audio cuts-out after about 30 to 40 seconds; I have no idea why.

Also interesting: If played on computer, with all players but VLC, I must open the TS file and "click" or "Open With" the VOB file. But when using the VLC Media Player, I can "click" or "Open With" the TS Folder.

Thanks for your assistance,

Howard
HSA

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:56 am

Glad I could help, Howard. VLC Media Player is, in my opinion, one of those indispensable free tools everyone should have on his or her computer.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:39 pm

If it works with VLC, use VLC. ;)
Peru

Return to PRE Version 11