They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

New Premiere Elements 11 user questions

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

New Premiere Elements 11 user questions

Postby Doug Valdez » Thu May 23, 2013 11:32 am

I watched Steve's excellent tutorial on Premiere Elements 11 and have a few qustions. I am shooting real estate walk through tours to upload to Youtube and such. I am using a Canon EOS 5D Mark iii, steady cam Merlin 2.

1. Can you render your finished videos on the editor and watch them?
2. I am shooting my video at 24 frames per second and shutter speed 60. Will these settings work well with the editor?
3. Can you fix white balance in one part of a video without readjusting the whole track? i.e walking from outside lighting into a house.
4. While editing, cutting , splicing and inserting tracks, I end up with short clips at the end of my time lin that I need to delete. They show up in my video as very short clips of things that I don't want in my video. Is there a easy way to get rid of them.
5. I finished my first video and tried to save it to a file on my computer using the burn dvd process and it took a long time and did not finish before the program froze and shut down.
6. which aspect ratio should I use and how do yu select it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Doug Valdez
New User
New User

Re: New Premiere Elements 11 user questions

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu May 23, 2013 6:36 pm

That's a lot of questions for a single post, Doug! Might be best to spread those out over a couple of topics.

But, basically, the answer to questions 1 through 3 is yes. Though I don't understand what you mean when you say you are "shooting my video at 24 frames per second and shutter speed 60". If you are shooting at 24 fps, you are shoot at 24 frames per second, not 60.

No need to set your aspect ratio in version 11. The program will set it up automatically based on the first clip on your timeline.

Finally, if you are going to output your video for YouTube, there's no point in creating a DVD file. The best format for uploading to YouTube is Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD with the YouTube Widescreen preset.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Doug Valdez » Thu May 23, 2013 7:12 pm

Steve,

Thank you so much for your quick response. Sorry for posting so many questions, I am new to the forum idea and was not sure how it worked best. I really learned alot from your turoiral on Premiere Elements 11! I still can't figure out how to remove a pesky clip that is trapped between 2 clips I want to use. I will revisit your tutorial and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks again!

Doug
Doug Valdez
New User
New User

Postby Peru » Fri May 24, 2013 1:17 am

Doug Valdez wrote: I still can't figure out how to remove a pesky clip that is trapped between 2 clips I want to use

Welcome to Muvipix. :meet:

Did you expand the timeline so that you could see the clips more easily? Then highlight it and delete it.
Peru

Postby Doug Valdez » Fri May 24, 2013 6:49 am

Hi, thank you for the welcome and tip. I think I did what you recommended. I put the slide on the tiny piece of footage that I wanted to remove and clicked delete on my keyboard. Are you saying if I make the timeline wider, it will be easier to see? I have a new question: I burned my first project to a DVD hand it looked really pixelated when played full screen. It looked fine when the size was reduced. Is there a setting to make it look good full screen?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Doug Valdez
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri May 24, 2013 7:15 am

Before you ask any more questions, Doug, can you confirm that everything we've proposed has worked?

We've already got a lot to deal with in this thread. Let's make sure we've resolved the basic stuff before throwing more questions into the mix, okay?

For instance, can you clarify if you're shooting in 24 fps or 60 fps and if, when you add it to the timeline, you get good results when you use the Publish & Share option I suggested?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Fri May 24, 2013 11:15 am

Doug Valdez wrote:2. I am shooting my video at 24 frames per second and shutter speed 60. Will these settings work well with the editor?

This is a helpful tut on fps & shutter speed to determine smooth capture:

aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri May 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Great illustration, Cheryl! And that definitely makes sense when shooting still photos. But is shutter speed different than frame rate when you're shooting video?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Fri May 24, 2013 12:46 pm

From the Canon EOS 5D Mark iii specs:

Frame Rates
[1920 x 1080]: 30 fps / 25 fps / 24 fps
[1280 x 720]: 60 fps / 50 fps
[640 x 480]: 30 fps / 25 fps

Doug Valdez wrote:
2. I am shooting my video at 24 frames per second and shutter speed 60. Will these settings work well with the editor?

So, you are shooting at 1920x1080. You have a frame aspect ratio of 16:9. If you share to DVD, you should select the widescreen option or you will get letter boxing (black bars at top and bottom).

A couple of questions. Why are you shooting at 24 fps? How are you going to be distributing the movie -- DVD, upload to a website, or something else?

Shutter speed is always different from frame rate. Shutter speed (along with aperture) has to do with exposure and applies to both still photos and video. Frame rate has to do with how often multiple photos are taken and only applies to video. Still images, being only a single photo, don't have a frame rate. As demonstrated in the video tutorial, shutter speed affects motion blur. Consumer video cameras have a fixed shutter speed and exposure is controlled by aperture. DSLRs can change the shutter speed.
Bob

Postby Doug Valdez » Sat May 25, 2013 8:24 am

I watched some tutorials about film making with DSLR and theft recommended shooting at 24 frames per second and locking the shutter
speed at 60.

I am shooting real estate video tours. I am not sure if these settings are the best for my purposes or not.

I will be uploading my videos to YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook and such.

Doug Valdez
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat May 25, 2013 10:33 am

Have you tried the Publish & Share options I recommended in my first post?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Sat May 25, 2013 10:49 am

Doug Valdez wrote:I watched some tutorials about film making with DSLR and theft recommended shooting at 24 frames per second and locking the shutter
speed at 60.

I am shooting real estate video tours. I am not sure if these settings are the best for my purposes or not.

I will be uploading my videos to YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook and such.

I would suggest to shoot a few test shots. Are you planning pans & zooms around the rooms or outside? If you have enough light try 60fps & 200 shutter speed. I only shoot at 60fps and vary the shutter speed with the minimum of 2x the fps. My grand daughter moves a lot so 200 shutter speed seems to work. The rule of thumb is to have the shutter speed 2x the fps and I've read that the shutter speed should also be 2x the lens length. I'm still new at this so can't really say what would be absolute best.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Sat May 25, 2013 12:35 pm

Doug,

At 1929x1080, your camera records at 30, 25, or 24 fps. I would recommend using 30 fps if you are in North America or 25 fps if you are in a country that uses the PAL video standard such as the UK. I would not recommend 24 fps.

24 fps is the frame rate of motion pictures shot on film. People that use 24 fps are generally trying to emulate the look of film. But, that frame rate is slow enough that many people will perceive it as jumpy. Especially when there is motion present. If you are going for a cinematic look, fine. But there is more to getting a cinematic look than just shooting at 24 fps.

The 60th of a second shutter speed is fine and would work well with the 30 fps rate.
Bob

Postby Doug Valdez » Sat May 25, 2013 2:57 pm

Bob,

Thanks a lot! I got the 24 fps from a video online. I will try 30. I don't expect a lot of motion in my real estate tours. I do have ceiling fans and fireplaces running to show some movement.

I had a post about DVD full screen quality. I watched the DVD on a hd tv and it looked fine. Steve asked me to let people know if my qustions are resolved. I think they are!

Thanks again!

Doug

Doug Valdez
New User
New User

Postby Doug Valdez » Sun May 26, 2013 9:51 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:Have you tried the Publish & Share options I recommended in my first post?

I have'nt posted anything to the web yet as I just finished editing my first home tour. I did look at the DVD on my tv and quality is fine.

Doug Valdez
New User
New User

Next

Return to PRE Version 11