They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Organizer: "Already in catalog" error

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Organizer: "Already in catalog" error

Postby Gerry » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:55 pm

Don't know where else to post this: it's an Organizer question.

I use Organizer simply to catalog CDs and DVDs containing still photos. My problem is that sometimes I'll have two DVDs that have some of the same pictures on them. (E.g. the full "shoot" -- all shots -- for a magazine article on one, then a dupe of the disc sent to the magazine on the other; the second disc is a subset of the first).

When I have Organizer add the photos from the DVDs to the catalog, I'll get an error message on the second DVD saying "PICT01234 is already in the catalog... PICT12345 is already in the catalog" etc. and it therefore doesn't make a thumbnail of that repeated picture for the second DVD's album.

Later, when I look at the album containing the thumbs of shots from the second DVD, I have no idea that there are additional shots on the DVD because there are no thumbnails of them.

Is there any way to get around this?
Dell XPS 8500 desktop w/ Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4ghz / 22 gigs RAM / Radeon HD7570 1g dedicated video memory/ PrEl 11 & 9 / Photoshop and Illustrator CS5 / After Effects CS4 / Olympus OM-D E-M5 DSLR (1080i HD video)

Time is money, life is change.
Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Organizer: "Already in catalog" error

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:20 pm

When you add a file that has the same name as a file that's already in your catalog, you see a warning. Doesn't this warning give you the option to keep both files,in which case it will slightly change the name of the new file ?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gerry » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:40 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:When you add a file that has the same name as a file that's already in your catalog, you see a warning. Doesn't this warning give you the option to keep both files,in which case it will slightly change the name of the new file ?

It just presents a gray box that says the picture is already in the catalog and won't be added. (I'll see if I can do a screen grab.) The only thing the user can do is close the box.

It's been this way since Organizer 2, I believe.

An option IS to go and find that same shot on the other disc and add it to the current album, but many times I don't know where the original is off hand -- I'll submit several shots to multiple publications (e.g. a calendar, a catalog, an annual -- all unpaid of course, so there's no conflict) and the originals are all over the place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dell XPS 8500 desktop w/ Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4ghz / 22 gigs RAM / Radeon HD7570 1g dedicated video memory/ PrEl 11 & 9 / Photoshop and Illustrator CS5 / After Effects CS4 / Olympus OM-D E-M5 DSLR (1080i HD video)

Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:16 am

I'm sorry, Gerry. I don't have a solution -- other than just manually keeping a list of these files as you do your copy and then manually moving the duplicate-named file over.

But what are the odds of two completely independent photos named Yard Throat-final.tif!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gerry » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:45 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:I'm sorry, Gerry. I don't have a solution -- other than just manually keeping a list of these files as you do your copy and then manually moving the duplicate-named file over.

That's no problem, Steve. I figured there wasn't an easy answer, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something, like some setting or switch somewhere that I never knew about.

Steve Grisetti wrote:But what are the odds of two completely independent photos named Yard Throat-final.tif!

Pretty good if I space out and give two different shots that same name. But if that same photo exists on 3 different submission DVDs (which is exactly my problem), the odds are great!

Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to PRE Version 11