They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Organizer Sort by File Name

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Organizer Sort by File Name

Postby ABWay » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:48 am

Does anyone know how to make the Organizer sort files alphabetically by name as it used to in version 10 and before? I only see the option of sorting by date whether in non-album or album view.
ABWay
New User
New User

Re: Organizer Sort by File Name

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:14 am

It looks like this is another feature that's been removed from the Organizer.

FWIW, you can quickly locate any file by name by entering its name in the search box in the upper right of the program.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gerry » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:35 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:It looks like this is another feature that's been removed from the Organizer.

FWIW, you can quickly locate any file by name by entering its name in the search box in the upper right of the program.

Sheesh! I thought Adobe was taking these programs more seriously with v11. Limiting sorts sort of dumbs it down a whole lot... especially if you can't remember the actual name of the file.
Dell XPS 8500 desktop w/ Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4ghz / 22 gigs RAM / Radeon HD7570 1g dedicated video memory/ PrEl 11 & 9 / Photoshop and Illustrator CS5 / After Effects CS4 / Olympus OM-D E-M5 DSLR (1080i HD video)

Time is money, life is change.
Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Barb O » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:56 pm

For the Elements Organizer -
When I think about displaying photo files in file name sequence, I think about using the Organizer's Folder view and then displaying the photos within a given folder in file name sequence.

I don't have a version 11 here to verify this - but I thought that Folder View is still available in v11.

Barb
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby ABWay » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:51 pm

Meanstwhile, I have "Live Chatted" with Adobe and after many minutes of checking the "Live Chatter" reported that PSE11/PrE11 Organizer does NOT offer alphabetic sorting by file name. Adobe is in the process of refunding my purchase. It is critical for me to be able to organize my 10k slides/clips by sequentially numbered file names. I would love to be able to continue my PSE/PrE versions (2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10) but will have to wait for Adobe to rectify this omission. PSE11/PrE11 looked pretty good! Sorry I have to let it go.
ABWay
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:14 am

Sorry that that's a dealbreaker for you, AB.

You do know that Premiere Elements will arrange your clips in alpha order in its Project Media panel, don't you? So if the order is critical, it's very much available when you're editing your video.

Where it's not available is in the Organizer, where you merely gather your assets.

But it's your call. And I'm glad to hear that, if you're not happy, Adobe is respecting that.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ABWay » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:14 pm

Steve,
Yes, I see that PrE11 Project Assets offers alphabetic sorting by filename. However, I need Organizer to do the same because when I rename or re-scan old slides and photos the date sequence is no longer the name sequence. This is particularly important for archiving.

I do hope that Adobe will eventually restore alphabetic sorting to Organizer. This is such a fundamental expectation of any file management program that I suspect many other users will be similarly dissuaded from version 11.

I can only complement Adobe for being so professional about refunding my purchase.

Thanks for your attention.
ABWay
New User
New User

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:26 pm

It appears that you can sort by file name if you create an instant album, select the album, and then sort by "Album Order."

To create an instant album, click the "Show Folder Hierarchy" button.
Right-click on a folder or sub-folder, then select "Import Files" from the pop-up menu.
After the files have been imported, right-click on the folder or sub-folder again, and select "Create an Instant Album" from the pop-up menu.
Click the "Show Folder List" button to switch to Folder List mode.
Select the album you just created.
Select "Album Order" from the "Sort by:" drop-down list. The files are rearranged in file name order. They will stay that way unless you manually rearrange them.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Gerry » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:38 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:It appears that you can sort by file name if you create an instant album, select the album, and then sort by "Album Order."

To create an instant album, click the "Show Folder Hierarchy" button.

I'm sure it's right in front of me but I'll be danged if I can see that button or even a drop-down that says that. Help -- I feel dumb!
Dell XPS 8500 desktop w/ Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4ghz / 22 gigs RAM / Radeon HD7570 1g dedicated video memory/ PrEl 11 & 9 / Photoshop and Illustrator CS5 / After Effects CS4 / Olympus OM-D E-M5 DSLR (1080i HD video)

Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby ABWay » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:01 pm

RJ: That is an interesting work-around. Since Windows sorts by name (unless you specify otherwise), by importing every file at once, apparently Organizer 11 remembers this when it creates the Instant Album. Note: If you select the files themselves, not the folder, the album created retains the date sequence not the name sequence.
I'll have to play with this some more to see how it really works and if it is practical or cumbersome. I hope I don't have to keep all these albums just to see my files in name order.
Thanks for the insight!
ABWay
New User
New User

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:03 am

Gerry wrote:I'm sure it's right in front of me but I'll be danged if I can see that button or even a drop-down that says that. Help -- I feel dumb!

Here is the "Show Folder Hierarchy" button:

Show Folder Hierarchy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Gerry » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:36 am

RJ Johnston wrote:Here is the "Show Folder Hierarchy" button:

Wow. THANKS!!

In a million years I'd have never clicked on that. I figured it was just a graphic representation of "My folders." You know, "eye candy."

Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby ABWay » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:37 pm

The alphabetic sort using the "Instant Album" work-around does not work for me since the alpahbetic sort is only retained in the Instant Album. I am scanning slides and when I re-scan a slide I keep track by sequential file names (e.g. Slide-01a, Slide-01b) which makes the date sequence irrelevant. I also make slide shows from different sources so file names allow me to quickly select among the sources while dates would not.

Also the Instant Album work-around is cumbersome: All the files must be in a folder with no other files; All the files must be brought into the catalog de-novo together not just moved from one cataloged files to another.

There is no good alternative to simple alphabetic sorting
ABWay
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 11