They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Motion tracking /Keyframing

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Motion tracking /Keyframing

Postby apa » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:50 am

I am using Magix MEP 14+ in bootcamp and editing in the timeline is so slow!!! I understand from the forum that editing on a mac in bootcamp is not ideal so.....

My main projects involve superimposing a "head" over a moving video underneath. I can do this in magix via "keyframing" and it also has the ability to"roughly" attach the image to the screen which then needs minor adjustments again to get it to match to the underlying video. However playback and editing is unbelievably slow despite a new imac - intel core 2 duo CPU 2.66ghz and 4gb Mem

As it is at the cheaper end of the mac video editing options my question is can Final cut express do this job or will i have to go more towards the top end??

Thanks for any help
apa
New User
New User

Re: Motion tracking /Keyframing

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:37 am

Hi, apa! Welcome to Muvipix!

Boot Camp is actually a very efficient way to use a Mac was a Windows platform. Much better than, say, Virtual PC, since you're actually booting into Windows. So that's probably not your issue.

The bigger issue may be the type of video you're using for your source. What kind of camcorder did this video come from? Hi-def video, for instance, takes considerably more power to work with than standard DV -- and AVCHD video would probably require about twice as much power as your system has. Particularly if you're trying to do these kinds of special effects with AVCHD video, your computer may not be nearly powerful enough to do it with any efficiency.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby apa » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:12 pm

Thanks Steve for reply

So i guess even if Final cut did the keyframing and i was out of bootcamp the timeline would still take some seconds to keep adjusting for literally every frame(!) that i'm working on ??

I'll experiment a bit more with the type of movie i import and its effect. Usually tho its an mp4/mpeg clip from the net with a .png image as an overlay
apa
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:24 am

The challenge could well be that mp4 you downloaded from the web, apa. The program may be having trouble digesting it.

Have you considered converting it to a more traditional video format? Are you working on a standard DV or BluRay project?

Unless you're building a project for a BluRay disc, you may see much more efficient use of your system if you convert that MP4 to, say, a standard DV AVI file.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby apa » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:00 am

Will try and then let you know. Thanks

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
apa
New User
New User

Return to Video Editors