They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Firewire Capture Stopped Working

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Firewire Capture Stopped Working

Postby schuse » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:34 pm

Over the last couple of weeks, I have had intermittent connectivity of my HDV Cam to my Vista latop. I use a firewire express card to capture. A couple days ago, when I had the cable plugged in to both the HDV Cam and Card, the Cam would not show that is was connected to the firewire. After a little wiggling on both ends, I decided it was the express card was not making a quality connection anymore.

New express card in now installed. The cable is plugged in and the Cam recognizes the firewire. I can set Pinnacle Studio 11 to recognize the HDV Cam, but when I attempts to capture, the Cam plays, but it never shows up in the playback window nor does it actually capture. It plays until I stop it, there is a file name created, but the file is listed with an error.

I have been successfully capturing for 2-3 years on this setup. Not sure what is going on now. No significant changes to my computer recently.

Thoughts?
schuse
New User
New User

Re: Firewire Capture Stopped Working

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:49 pm

Hi Schuse, Welcome to Muvipix :wcm:

I moved your post to its own topic as the one you posted in was quite old.
This way more people will see your post and be able to help you.

Sounds like you might have a Firewire card that is not completely compatible with video capture.
To be sure that there will be no issues capturing video it is best to have a Firewire Card with the Texas Instrument chipset.
Do you know if your current Firewire card the TI chipset and also is it OHCI compliant?

Have you tried capturing with your camcorder on another computer? That would at least rule out the camcorder.
Have you tried replacing the cable? That would at least rule out the cable.

I'm sure you will be up and running again real soon :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Video Editors