They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Wedding Video Shots & Setup

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Wedding Video Shots & Setup

Postby momoffduty » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:16 am

A friend's daughter is getting married next month and I was asked to video the wedding. They do realize that I do not have a professional cam and getting video is not my forte. If I could create the wedding in AE.. :) ...oh well.

It is an outdoor wedding with about 200 guests. Where should I set up my tripod? I was thinking about the right side half way down and getting shots walking down the aisle and then pan over to record the remainder of the ceremony. My husband is taking photos and thought he should sit in the center aisle close to the front.

The family are musicians and will have a mic and recording the audio to a laptop. I will use that audio in the project.

Was also thinking about writing down a list of shots to get for myself & my husband. Anyone have a checklist?

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: Wedding Video Shots & Setup

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:26 am

Hi Cheryl,
With only one camera it makes things a bit tougher.

The main thing to remember is that this is the Bride's day ;)

Set up behind the minister off to the side where you will be able to get a good shot of the bride's face.
Make very slow and gentle movement to zoom in and out to include the groom and minister. Do not move your camera too much and try not to make any quick or jerky movements.

From that position you should be able to get the guests, minister, bride, groom, parents and pretty much anything. Just remember, the bride is the most important so the positioning should always be the best place to get shots of her :)

Remember, things change during the wedding. People move into your way, block your shots, don't stand where they are supposed to, so be sure you are in the best spot possible where no one should be able to get in the way of your view of the bride. Find out if they are lighting a unity candle or taking communion, anything like that and where that will happen. That way you can be prepared for whatever might come and where ever they might move to.

Hope that helps :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:15 pm

That does help a lot Chuck. We plan on going early to get the getting ready shots. The wedding is not formal, maybe casual-semi-formal. It would be nice if I had a second cam. I will be using HV30 and my old camera is standard video. Thought about renting one for the day or buying a used one if the price is right.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:02 am

Cheryl, take LOTS of ambient footage before the ceremony. Things like the venue, close ups of flower arrangements, etc. Then you have some spare clips to fill in as cutaways when the shot that you are on has been spoiled in some way. Also you can use that footage when any songs or hymns are sung (if they are included) as most folk do not like to be video stars when singing. Also consider cutting songs/hymns down to one or two verses max (unless, of course, the client wants more). Otherwise one can end up with more singing/hymns than ceremony. It is often best to do a special close up take of the placing of rings on fingers after the ceremony so that can be edited into the video at the appropriate point - it also guarantees that you haven't missed the shot!. Finally, try to get as many of the principal guests to make a comment about the couple or about the bride/groom as an individual - this is best as a head and shoulders shot. Comments should ideally be brief. And if you can beg, borrow or steal a second camera for the day....can't think of anything else just now...... :-D

If you need a stills photo shot list PM me. I can put together a 'must have' shot list based on my previous life as a wedding photographer. Just bear in mind that the bias will be to a UK approach to wedding stills....
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:23 am

I definitely agree with John!

Remember, your bride and groom will be so preoccupied with their "performance" that they won't remember anything else that happened that day. The ambient and "B roll" footage from that day will add depth and color to your story in addition to showing the married couple (and everyone else) how much other cool stuff was going on around the periphery.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:08 am

Wow, lots of great tips! John, I would love your photo list...you can send to my email if you still have it. Great idea on the cut aways, shots of the venue. Thanks John & Steve.

I may call some area pawn shops to see if they have any HV30's or 40's. Seems like Chuck had good luck with this route.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:38 am

What would you think of posting the list here John? I'm sure it would be a great resource for anyone who finds this thread at a later date.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:51 am

No sooner requested then done. :-D

Wedding shot list - posed 'must have' pics (as many as are necessary but these are the basic ones)

All following shots are head and shoulders (HS) or full length (FL). For HS shots aim to include the top half the torso. For ladies holding handbags, have the bag either left out entirely or held on a crooked arm so that the arm is at the bottom of the shot but in view. Don't follow this list slavishly, it is only a guide but should cover most of the formal 'posed' shots that you may need. Obviously most of the shots will be taken after the ceremony. These are the ones that you will need to take before the ceremony takes place (it occupies the photographer, at least!)

General guests arriving - normally full length shots.
Groom HS, FL
Groom and best man HS, FL
Groom, best man, sidesmen/ushers FL
Bride's mother HS, FL
Bride's mother with bridesmaids
Groom's parents (together) HS, FL
Groom's mother HS, FL
Groom's father HS, FL

If there is a special 'carriage' that the bride arrives in then make sure to get shots inside the carriage before she and her father get out. Then

Bride HS, FL
Bride and father HS, FL
Bride and bridesmaids (esp. when preparing to walk down the aisle with bride on father's arm) HS and FL as appropriate.

After the ceremony

Bride's parents (together) HS, FL
Bride's father HS, FL

Bride and groom (B & G) HS, FL
B & G with bridesmaids FL
B & G with best man (and a second one with the ushers) FL
B & G with bride's parents FL
B & G with groom's parents FL
B & G with both sets of parents FL
B & G with both sets of parents, bridesmaids, best man, ushers FL
Best man with Chief bridesmaid FL
Best man, ushers and bridesmaids FL
B & G with any special friends/relatives (e.g. 85 year old grandma/uncle....etc). Ask if they have anyone special that they want to include) HS, FL

Family groups with the bride and groom (get the best man and ushers to help with this). You'll need shots of the B&G with the bride's family, ditto with the groom's family, then B&G with everybody. FL

Check what pics the B&G might want in addition to the above. Do they want to include the minister in any pics?
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby momoffduty » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:59 am

Great list John! Thanks. Just found out that the wedding is in a gazebo and will have to set the tripod up outside. May have to shoot from the center aisle?
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:23 pm

.....oh, and by the way, don't forget to take a pic of the cake cutting!! :lol: IMHO best to 'stage' this before the reception gets into full swing, then the 'official photographer' can relax a little as all of the posed pics are done. Just time to start on the candids..... :-D
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:30 pm

If there is a photographer on duty in addition to your video team (or even if amateurs are just snapping pictures) you may want to warn the bride and groom that your camera people might show up in some of the photos. And, if that's not acceptable, make sure you position your camera people accordingly.

I'm in some of the photos from my niece's wedding. But, since I warned them in advance, they considered it a fair trade-off, since I got some amazing close-up shots of the bride and groom taking their vows (wearing wireless mikes, of course) from up behind the minister. I tried not to be obnoxious about where I stood -- but some shots are worth the inconvenience.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:26 pm

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:.....oh, and by the way, don't forget to take a pic of the cake cutting!!

shot s of the cake, very important! ;)

Your mention of ladies handbags reminds me of a friend's elderly Aunt who went on a tour of Europe. She showed me all of her beautiful photos of her & vacation shots. Well, in everyone of the photos there is her ugly handbag.

I do think a handbag is distracting and usually offer to hold someone's.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Ken Jarstad » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:10 pm

I just finished my granddaughter's wedding the end of June using just my HV20. I produced Blu-rays and DVDs. My wife used the Canon S3 to get some close-in stills since she was sitting up close and I added a "Bonus" slide show at the end. I have a scene checklist also but I found it is unrealistic to get all the shots on the list. Do the best you can and I'm sure everyone will be pleased with the captured memories. I have done three single camera weddings now and I think I have exceeded expectations every time. With all the help offered here I'm sure you will do very well.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:36 am

momoffduty wrote:...Your mention of ladies handbags reminds me of a friend's elderly Aunt who went on a tour of Europe. She showed me all of her beautiful photos of her & vacation shots. Well, in everyone of the photos there is her ugly handbag.....

Sample pics of what I was trying to describe :-
images.jpg
afterimages.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby momoffduty » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:44 am

Ken, good to know that you were happy with a single cam. The family doesn't have high expectations and wants anything that captures the day. I was planning on adding a slideshow since that is what I am most comfortable with.

John, thanks for posting the handbag shots. Even a designer bag is distracting.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Next

Return to Video Editors