They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Wedding Video Shots & Setup

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Re: Wedding Video Shots & Setup

Postby momoffduty » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:02 pm

The wedding is tomorrow and overthinking things again. I only have one camera and cannot set up behind the minister because it is a small gazebo. Where would be the best place to sit? Center aisle to get shots of everyone walking down the aisle and use a monopod? Or set up outside aisle on the right side with a tripod? But, then when the bride walks in the guests will be standing and will block the shots.

I used the tripod & switched to the monopod at the rehearsal picnic. Easier for me. Got plenty of B roll. I interviewed the 6yo flower girl. When we finished she asked if that was okay and if not we could do a retake :lol: Maybe I should get lots of moments like this in case I bomb on the wedding portion. :)

Any last minute tips? :-8
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:37 pm

I would say that if there is a way to get back behind the minister to get the bride and grooms face during the ceremony do it. Center isle is fine while everyone is entering, nice shots of the bride coming down the isle are great. How quick can you move to somewhere that you can get a shot of something other than the bride's backside during the ceremony? If all you have is a shot of the minister's face and the back of the bride and groom's heads it won't be too exciting. That is a nice cutaway, B roll shot, but not A roll. Can you stand on a picnic table on the outside of the gazebo or something? There must be a way, videographers never quit... Never Give Up, Never Surrender :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:15 am

Thanks Chuck for the pep talk & you are correct about the backside of the bride. We are arriving early and I will scout things out.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:55 pm

Thanks for the picnic table idea Chuck. I am happy to report that I stood on a chair outside of the gazebo & got the shot. Used the monopod extended to get the shots of procession from inside the gazebo, the Father giving away the bride side view, and ran around to the back to the chair for the remainder. Collapsed the monopod and rested it on the railing. I have plenty of B roll to place over my moving.

Think I got most of the day's main events. It was a casual outdoor wedding & guests seated outside & in for the meal. Bluegrass musicians, very nice. I have a new respect for people who do this for a living.

Thanks for everyone's tips.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Ken Jarstad » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:59 pm

momoffduty wrote:I have a new respect for people who do this for a living.

Amen!

Now, you get to put it all nicely together. :dr:
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:05 pm

A long day! I have to wait for the audio from the sound board before I start editing. The bride's brothers & father played after the wedding too and I recorded a few songs. Hopefully, they recorded that too.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby mark hansen » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:01 pm

momoffduty wrote: I have plenty of B roll to place over my moving.

When I did a family wedding and had three cameras when they were at the alter. One static over the priest's shoulder, one moving with me and one in the audience (my wife).

To edit the alter part, if found it easiest to place ALL the footage on different tracks and sync it up. ( used a cough by a bridesmaid as my marker).

Then kept all the footage there, I dropped the sound on my camera and my wife's camera and kept the sound from the static, it was the best audio.

To change camera views, I just fiddled with the opacity of the upper tracks when I wanted a lower track and faded them from 100% to 0% to transition from one camera to another.

Keep all the footage synced and on the time line, meant I didn't have to do any cutting and then try to match match it up over and over.. It helped keep most of my sanity during that project.

It came out really well with fading (changing opacity) from camera to camera.

Mark
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:17 am

Great tips Mark! Unfortunately I only had 1 camera. Only have to sync the audio to video. Some of the B roll shots are items on the 2 tables in the gazebo and shots of mums that lined the side that I took early in the day. Thought about using that in the spots of me moving. Also have some shots of the guests seated I took before it started. The last resort could be photos, but that may be cheesy since this is video.

I'm making a slideshow & a highlight montage too. Hopefully that will make up for any shortcomings in the video portion. The bride saw the wedding photo's slideshow I did recently for Dani and she loved it, so at least I an idea of her likes & dislikes.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Previous

Return to Video Editors