They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Recent Experience Report

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Recent Experience Report

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:09 pm

Well I have been actually using Encore DVD CS3 and in the process of discovering all that Premiere Pro CS3 has to offer, here are some of highlites.

Encore DVD will not re-encode the entire movie if you make changes, it only re-encodes the changed parts. You can create many menu layers and you can have play lists that can include all or just parts of the movie. The chapters can return to any menu after they play. Lots of very cools stuff including a very nice slide show creator :)

Premiere Pro provides multiple timlines (sequences) and multiple media bins. It has many project settings available that are not in Premiere Elements or are greyed out. Thinks like setting the TTF or BFF for the project default. 5.1 surround sound is another great thing that is available. The timelines all are recognized by Encore DVD, no need to export anything. One thing that is interesting is the whole thing is very much like Premiere Elements and includes all of the same effects and transitions.

More to come....
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Wheat King » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:07 pm

no need to export anything! Very slick!
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:53 am

Chuck,

Just out of curiosity, did you get the Production Studio CS3 package or did you get the point products? Or, are use experimenting with the trial package?
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:55 am

Hi Bob,
I needed Encore for my new editing job and I only had a couple hundred dollars to spend. I purchased a new copy of Encore 1.0 on Ebay for $50 which allowed my to get the Premiere Pro CS3 Upgrade for $199, that was all I had to spend so it was a great deal. Considering that Encore is not sold separately anymore I got Premiere Pro too, or I bought Premiere Pro and got Encore too (however you want to look at it) !

I already have After Effects 7 so I can upgrade that anytime. I would love to have the whole suite and someday I probably will, but not now. It sure is fun learning new stuff though :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Maxine370 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:34 pm

Hi Chuck-

How is using the Pro going? I'm actually thinking of making the jump to Pro myself and was wondering a few things.

How is the learning curve? How different/similar is it to Elements. I'm very comfortable and have so many shortcuts and habits in Elements, I'm a little scared to go to the Pro version. Is it a lot of new stuff to learn?

Also what are the benefits to the Pro version. Up til now, I've felt I've been able to do most everything I want in this version. I hear the Pro has much better color correction tools? True? Also I like that PSD files import in as layers. Anything else you think I'll love.

Thanks for the info. I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I make the financial comittment.
Happy Editing,

Beth
Maxine370
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:35 pm

Hi Beth,
I have been so busy trying to get the first couple of weddings done I haven't had time to try Premiere Pro yet. I am using Encore and having fun there, it works very well with Photoshop Elements.

What I am looking forward to using Premiere Pro for is the multiple Timelines and media panels. Each wedding video has 9 or 10 parts, each part is a separate project in Premiere Elements but I can have it all in one project with 9 separate timelines in Premiere Pro.

I already have After Effects so I do all of my stuff with layered files in there. Not sure if there are any better color enhancements, the Shadow Highlight Effect in Premiere Elements is the same one as in Pro. It is one of the best effects in the Industry for image correction.

As I get into it and start learning I will report back, hopefully that won't be too much longer, probably when my new computer arrives.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:10 pm

Wait a minute. I have Encore 1.5. Does that mean I can get Premiere Pro for $199. That doesn't seem right.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:29 am

According to the Adobe Store, the upgrade to Premiere Pro CS3 from Encore is $299.

Chuck, do you know of some special upgrade offer.
Bob

Postby Paul LS » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:23 am

Beth, if you can run Elements, and you obviously can :-D , you will have no problem with PPro2 and I assume CS3... not sure about the new CS3 as I haven't seen/used it. The basic function is the same as PE3 (well actually closer to PE2 as there is no sceneline view)... all the effects in PE3 are in PPro2 and their use is the same. You just need to spend a bit of time to explore the additional parts. For example the multiple timelines, advanced color correction and the advanced export options.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob D » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:55 am

The next question, with an unknown answer, is how many, if any, of these features will make it to PE4 (if there is a PE4)! :shock:
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Video Editors