They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 10 Arrived

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Re: Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 10 Arrived

Postby Ken Jarstad » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:46 pm

It surprised me to see the default AVCHD disk data rate defaults to 18 Mbps when the VMS9P timeline burn AVCHD template was 16 Mbps max. My first AVCHD disks from multiAVCHD stuttered badly and the 15 Mbps disks from Vegas look very good. I will eventually try burning at 18 Mbps but I haven't had a coaster so far at 15 Mbps.

If you followed my topic on the DVD Authoring forum you know I detected smearing and other artifacts using the AVCHD codec in all the other products I tried except for Nero Vision in its very best mode and Vegas from the timeline. This info ought to be put into another topic there. Perhaps someone will buy just the DVDAS 5.0 and report on it since it does a terrific job. Only $39.95, too, which beats the Ulead/Corel products hands down!
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby JohnnyO » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:59 am

I was wondering, can the 360 soundtracks, or 400 available with the suite, as well as the 1001 sound effects be used with other editors? Do they use a priority format or are they standard formats such as mp3s?

I ask because I am very happy with MAGIX MEP 16+. However I want to purchase Sony DVDAS 5.0. This cost $39.95 by itself. However since I already own DVDAS 4.5, I can upgrade to Sony Vegas Movie Studio which includes DVDAS for $34.95 (download price) until June 30. This will come with 360 soundtracks that I might be able to use with oter editors.

For $44.95 download price, I can get movie studio suite which includes an additionla 40 soundtracks (totaling 400), and 1001 sound effects. I am hoping I can usew these in other video edtors. The suite version also comes with NewBleuFX effects and Sound Forge with a vocal eraser plug-in. However, If I really do not want to use the Sony editor, is it worth the extra $10 if I get 40 additional soundtracks as well as 1001 sound effects if I can use them in other editors? It is a no-brainer to get the upgrade for $35 even if I cannot use the soundtracks elsewhere since it is cheaper than purchasing DVDAS 5 by itself. I am trying to decide if it is worh the extra 10 dollars to get an additional 40 sountracks and 1001 sound effects, assuming that the rest of the sowtware I wil not use.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:16 am

JohnnyO wrote:I was wondering, can the 360 soundtracks, or 400 available with the suite, as well as the 1001 sound effects be used with other editors? Do they use a priority format or are they standard formats such as mp3s?

The sound effects are .wav and the soundtracks are .mp3.

In the past, you didn't get the sound effects with the download version, so you may want to ask Sony if the download includes those extra items.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby JohnnyO » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 am

Thanks RJ
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chris B » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:17 pm

Yes - you do get the soundtracks & sound effects with the download edition. - and (at least part) of the tutorial DVD. - You only get 3 attempts to download them though - don't do it on a flaky connection.

The soundtracks consist of tracks with multiple variants of style and time

Austin - Backlight Intrigue - Beer Goggles
Cumbia - Faith - Full Court Press
Grace - Here Comes The Bride - Hickory Dickory Dock
Hush, Little Baby - Johnny Liked Jazz - Night Clubbing
Ninth Ward Festival - Oye - The Forces Of Evil
The Guess Wu - Traveling to Amarillo -Uber Duber
UK Seoul - Wedding March - Wicked Sara
Wildfires - Yankadi Dreaming

So the Full Court Press directory contains:
15-Full Court Press-Variation A.mp3
15-Full Court Press-Variation B.mp3
15-Full Court Press-Variation C.mp3
15-Full Court Press-Variation D.mp3
15-Full Court Press-Variation E.mp3
180-Full Court Press-Variation A.mp3
30-Full Court Press-Variation A.mp3
60-Full Court Press-Variation A.mp3

Smartsound in PE7/8 is much more elegant.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby JohnnyO » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:02 pm

I have to admit, there is something about this program I like. I went through all the tutorials, did some practice editing, even burnt a small DVD ppoject. I just like it.

Perhaps its the workflow, or the editing tools. Titling is even pretty good. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I like it.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave Mack » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:12 am

So I looked on amazon at a review and read that the crashing bug is still there, (2gb limit I suppose)
I really don't want to have to go through that all again. It worked but was nerve wracking. If I just upgrade, will it revert to the 2gb limit or be ok...? Thanks
Dave Mack
New User
New User

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:35 am

Dave Mack wrote:So I looked on amazon at a review and read that the crashing bug is still there, (2gb limit I suppose)
I really don't want to have to go through that all again. It worked but was nerve wracking. If I just upgrade, will it revert to the 2gb limit or be ok...? Thanks

I wish I could help you, but I have only 2GB RAM. I did read somewhere, possibly on the forum at SonyCreativeSoftware, that someone hacked some of the DLL's with a utility that changed the limit from 2GB to 3GB. If I run across the post, I'll post a link.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chris B » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:35 pm

Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:31 pm

Yes, Chris, that would be the one. Thanks for looking it up.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:49 pm

Just an FYI/warning. Two things are going on with that hack.

First, application programs don't access RAM directly. They access virtual memory. 32-bit applications can address up to 4GB of virtual memory, but, by convention, 2GB of that is reserved for the OS. To allocate beyond the 2GB cap, you need to increase the amount available to the application and decrease the amount reserved for the OS. Hence the hack about the /3GB switch in Windows XP (Professional edition only) and the increaseuserva value in Vista and Windows 7.

The other thing is the flag in the exe header the utility calls "app can handle > than 2gig address space". To actually allocate that memory above 2GB you need to set that flag. Setting that flag indicates that the application knows how to deal with full 32-bit addresses and doesn't do anything that would screw up or invalidate a 32-bit address. And, that's the problem. Just marking that flag doesn't change the way the program operates. The difference between a 4GB address and a 2GB address is one bit -- 2GB addresses only require 31 bits to be expressed. I've seen sloppy programmers use that extra bit as a flag and I've seen them use arithmetic signed instructions to manipulate the value. Not a problem if the values never go over 2GB, but a big problem if it does. You can get anything from addressing exceptions to blue screens depending on what got clobbered, or the application may misbehave. Because applications like this typically allocate large blocks of memory, you might not have problems right away, but if the application actually tries to use that virtual memory over the 2GB cap you could run into the problem. It's also possible that the programmers wrote the application properly to handle 32 bit address and just didn't bother to set the header bit. Just be aware that you are taking a chance when you change that bit.
Bob

Postby Dave Mack » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:21 pm

Does anyone know if this can handle native native 1080/24P files? I just ordered a hacked GH1 that can shoot native 24P and need to know. Thanks
Dave Mack
New User
New User

Postby BobWard » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:45 pm

Does anyone know if this new package will work with 64-bit Windows 7? If so, I will probably get this instead of Premiere Elements 7 or 8.

Bob
BobWard

Postby Ken Jarstad » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:02 pm

There are quite a few people on the SCS forums that run this fine with Win7-64 bit.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ken Jarstad » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:25 pm

Now that I'm finished with my first serious project in v10 I turned to a request from a friend to convert some older audio cassettes to CD. I looked around for a tool to do this with the ability to add track markers or cues so the forward/back buttons would work on a hardware CD player. Then, I remembered that Vegas started out as an audio editor, and I remembered being impressed with Vegas' audio tools. I found that using the N key would insert a CD track marker in the same way that M will insert a DVD scene marker! To burn a CD just use Tools/Burn Disk/Disc-at-Once Audio CD...

Love it!
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Previous

Return to Video Editors