They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Sony Vegas Pro 8.0 Problem

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Sony Vegas Pro 8.0 Problem

Postby HCU_Chris » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:58 pm

As the title suggests, I have a problem with my Sony Vegas Pro 8.0. I have a trip coming up this weekend and I am trying to put videos onto my iPod Touch (I have the latest iTunes and iPod software). I am using Vegas to re-render my videos that are a multitude of file types (.wmv, .mpeg etc) into .mpg4 so that they can be transferred to my iPod. I have already done this for several videos that are under 10 minutes in length and the videos have been nothing but successful. However I have one stubborn video, a .wmv file that is approx. 33 minutes long. When I render it using the .mpg4 file type and the iPod template (have tried both 320 and 640) the problem occurs. The new, rendered file plays the video for the whole duration, but the audio cuts out after about 3 minutes. The video plays perfectly in the Vegas preview as well as in Media Player, so I know that the original file is not corrupt. I have also rendered 3 minute pieces of the video and the audio works in each piece. It is only when I render the video as a whole that the audio disappears, 3 minutes in, every time.

So my question is why does the audio cut out? and how do I render this properly so that the audio and video will work for the whole duration of the video without splitting it up?

Thanks for the help.
HCU_Chris
New User
New User

Re: Sony Vegas Pro 8.0 Problem

Postby Paul LS » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:28 pm

A big welcome to Muvipix HCU_Chris :)

Have you tried to converting it to say DV-AVI and then tried converting this to the iPod preset? A two step approach...
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:48 pm

I agree with Paul. There's obviously something going wrong when Vegas tries to internally go from a WMV to an MP4. Converting the file to a DV-AVI (the universal language for PC based video editors) will provide Vegas with a file format it's less likely to have any internal problems with.

You'll actually get the best quality DV-AVI when you open the WMV in Windows MovieMaker and output the DV-AVI from there.

To convert a video into a DV-AVI with MovieMaker, simply import it into MovieMaker and drag it to the MovieMaker timeline. Then:

From the Main Menu select File/Save Movie File
A dialog will open - Select ‘My Computer’ and press the Next button.

On the next screen you can name the new file and select/browse to a folder to put the file in (remember where you put it because you will need to browse to it to import it into you project). When you have named the file and selected the location press the Next button.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby HCU_Chris » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:58 pm

Thanks for the quick replies. I tried to convert the original .wmv to DV-AVI as soon as I could using Movie Maker. However the finished product hiccups in the exact same spot that the Vegas Rendered file did. Trial and error now points back to the original file as the source of the problem, but it works fine as a .wmv so I'm still lost.
HCU_Chris
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:16 pm

If MovieMaker can't convert it, then something is very wrong with the original file. MovieMaker uses WMVs as its native workflow.

Would you like to try posting the WMV to our Gallery page so some of us can download it and see what happens when we try to convert it?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:09 pm

You might want to try Windows Media Encoder, it's free.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Video Editors