They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Transcoding file formats for Internet

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Transcoding file formats for Internet

Postby AVITRY » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:11 am

Hi all. I'm not sure I'm posting under the best category, but I'll be making my transcode in one video editing program or another so I hope I'm ok here. :)

While I've done many analog to digital to DVD conversions, I've never had a need to upload anything to the internet. I have a friend who wants to post something to the internet and I have a few questions if I may.

1. I think I have the least trouble using the WMV format since I have PE2 and don't think it supports the newer formats. Will this be ok?

2. Take a look at the link I included if you would. Down near the bottom it says be sure to deinterlace before uploading. This threw me off a bit. I assumed that any file format specially designed for the internet would automatically be deinterlaced. I don't even recall seeing a place to deinterlace. Do I have to rt. click on the timeline and deinterlace if I'm saving to WMV?

http://www.magnify.net/support/docs/Sup ... rmats.html

thanks for helping me understand the process.

joe
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Transcoding file formats for Internet

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:17 am

WMV is certainly the most universal format for streaming over the Internet. (Just use the Cable Modem preset.) Quicktime (MOV) runs a close second -- though, for my money, it looks better.

As for whether or not to de-interlace, others may disagree but I'm with you. You don't need to de-interlace WMVs or Quicktime files because they're optimized for viewing on a computer.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Transcoding file formats for Internet

Postby ed » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:49 am

I believe WMV spits out deinterlaced, with Quicktime this is not the case, depending on what software you use to do the encoding. I use Quicktime Pro, and you definetly have to check a deinterlace checkbox in the settings for this.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Video Editors