They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Sony Vegas Pro 8: How to use ProType Titler ?

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Sony Vegas Pro 8: How to use ProType Titler ?

Postby ryan_khoo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:57 am

In Sony Vegas Pro 8, there is a preset like bounce, popup ... etc and when I play the effects, the actual word "bounce" or "popup" appear. I do not want the word "bounce" to bounce. I want the word "Ryan" to bounce meaning to say I want to replace the word "bounce" with "Ryan". But how do I change the word "bounce" to "Ryan" with the same effect ?

Thanks for helping
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Sony Vegas Pro 8: How to use ProType Titler ?

Postby Paul LS » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:38 pm

Double click on Bounce and the words should drop to the same level. You can then edit the word. When you have finished click the purple/brown "Text Edit Mode: click here" banner at the top of the window.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby ryan_khoo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:01 pm

Paul LS wrote:Double click on Bounce and the words should drop to the same level. You can then edit the word. When you have finished click the purple/brown "Text Edit Mode: click here" banner at the top of the window.

Hi Paul,

Thanks a million. Now I got it. It is really cool. My stupid brain has been trying for 2 days to solve this until you save my brain from further mess. :-D Now I know the trick is to DOUBLE CLICK the word "bounce" !

Thanks again
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby ryan_khoo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:30 pm

But Paul, I hope you don't mind solving my other problem as I encounter problem when I edit them:

(1) When I edit the ProType Titler, how do I undo them ? (I don't know what I did but the words doesn't bounce anymore, it just moves from Left to Right.)

(2) How do I change the color of the words that is bouncing ? There are only 3 tabs (Transform, Effect and Layout and none of them have options to change colour). I tried to click the edit text button but after I fiddle with the slider and ended up with problem in (1) above, ie the words now slide from left to right instead of bouncing

(3) After the bouncing ended, the words dissappeared. What do I have to do so that after bouncing the words keep still for say 5 seconds ?

(4) Can we do a 2-lines words ?

Thanks again Paul, really appreciate it.
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:34 pm

1) To get the words to bounce after you have modified the text you have to click the purple/brown "Text Edit Mode: click here" banner at the top of the window to exit the text editing mode. Then press play and the words will bounce.

2) To change the color. Once you have double clicked on the text to edit it you will see "Text", "Style"and "Open type" tabs over to the left.... you can adjust the color in Style. Drag the cursor over the words to highlight them and then adjust the fill color.

3) To keep the text on the screen you need to use keyframes for X-offset under Transform. It is difficult to explain (and use :) ). Best bet is to play with the X-offset curve at the bottom of the window. It currently has two points on the wavy line. Try moving the right point and see the effect it has. You can add extra keyframes by double clicking on the line.

4) You need to create a second line of text the same way you created the second. If you hit enter to start a second line the effect does not work (similar to PE4 in that respect).

Let me see if I can find a tutorial to help you out. Many folks have trouble using the Pro-Titler.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:58 pm

Here is a tutorial, there are others as well on the same page:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAumR1or_pk
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Andy_E » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:12 am

If you don't mind paying there's a VASST training DVD on the Pro Type Titler:

http://www.vasst.com/search.aspx?for=1& ... t=priority

These DVDs come highly recommended.

Also out at the end of the month is the Vegas Pro 8 Editing Workshop book. I imagine that will cover the Pro Type Titler as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Vegas-Pro-8-Editi ... 0240810465
Andy_E
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby ryan_khoo » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:22 am

Andy_E wrote:If you don't mind paying there's a VASST training DVD on the Pro Type Titler:

http://www.vasst.com/search.aspx?for=1& ... t=priority

These DVDs come highly recommended.

I have bought volume 1 -3.

For ProType Titler, should I buy volume 8 or volume 9 ?

Also out at the end of the month is the Vegas Pro 8 Editing Workshop book. I imagine that will cover the Pro Type Titler as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Vegas-Pro-8-Editi ... 0240810465

I have pre-ordered this book.

Thanks
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby ryan_khoo » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:53 am

Paul LS wrote:1) To get the words to bounce after you have modified the text you have to click the purple/brown "Text Edit Mode: click here" banner at the top of the window to exit the text editing mode. Then press play and the words will bounce.

2) To change the color. Once you have double clicked on the text to edit it you will see "Text", "Style"and "Open type" tabs over to the left.... you can adjust the color in Style. Drag the cursor over the words to highlight them and then adjust the fill color.

3) To keep the text on the screen you need to use keyframes for X-offset under Transform. It is difficult to explain (and use :) ). Best bet is to play with the X-offset curve at the bottom of the window. It currently has two points on the wavy line. Try moving the right point and see the effect it has. You can add extra keyframes by double clicking on the line.

4) You need to create a second line of text the same way you created the second. If you hit enter to start a second line the effect does not work (similar to PE4 in that respect).

Let me see if I can find a tutorial to help you out. Many folks have trouble using the Pro-Titler.

Thanks Paul, I got it except (3), I cannot get the text to stay there after it finish bouncing. I have tried playing with the X-offset but I cannot move the right points to further right. This is bcos the preset animation for the bouncing is such that it dissapear once the text settle downs after bouncing.

Also, how do I make the bouncing text drop only at 3/4 down the vertical axis instead of droping all the way down to the bottom ?

Thanks
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:23 pm

To control the final X-position you need to move the point "up or down" not "left or right". "Up and down" is for x position, "left and right" is the time scale.

For the final vertical position you can use the Y-offset slider over to the left. This will offset the whole bouncing cycle up or down. And the Y-scale will control the amplitude of the bouncing. Infact this maybe the best way to control the X-position as well. Give it a try. :-D
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Andy_E » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:57 am

ryan_khoo wrote:For ProType Titler, should I buy volume 8 or volume 9 ?

Volume 8 is just the overview of Version 8. If you're already well acquainted with the basics in Pro 8, then Volume 9 would appear to be the better bet.

ryan_khoo wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Vegas-Pro-8-Editing-Workshop/dp/0240810465
I have pre-ordered this book.

Me too! :-D
Andy_E
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby ryan_khoo » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:30 am

Andy_E wrote:
ryan_khoo wrote:For ProType Titler, should I buy volume 8 or volume 9 ?

Volume 8 is just the overview of Version 8. If you're already well acquainted with the basics in Pro 8, then Volume 9 would appear to be the better bet.

Thanks Andy for the tips
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby ryan_khoo » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:34 am

Paul LS wrote:To control the final X-position you need to move the point "up or down" not "left or right". "Up and down" is for x position, "left and right" is the time scale.

Thanks Paul for your guidance but I apologize for being a slow student.

I moved the point up & down but the the words doesn't seemed to stay longer. Would appreciate if you will be kind enough to give a more step by step direction ?

Thanks again
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:52 am

With the X-offset, say you have four keyframes on the X-offset timeline, the first two have the same X-offset value of -9.00 and are placed at time 0 seconds and 2 secs, the other two have the same X-offset value of +1.00 and are placed at 5 secs and 7 secs. You would see your Bounce title bouncing in the y-direction but stationary in the X-direction for 2 seconds (between 0 and 2 seconds), it would then move in the x direction for 3 seconds (between 2 and 5 secsonds) and then be stationary again for 2 seconds (between 5 and 7 seconds).

Hope this is clearer. :???:
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby ryan_khoo » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:22 am

Paul LS wrote:With the X-offset, say you have four keyframes on the X-offset timeline, the first two have the same X-offset value of -9.00 and are placed at time 0 seconds and 2 secs, the other two have the same X-offset value of +1.00 and are placed at 5 secs and 7 secs. You would see your Bounce title bouncing in the y-direction but stationary in the X-direction for 2 seconds (between 0 and 2 seconds), it would then move in the x direction for 3 seconds (between 2 and 5 secsonds) and then be stationary again for 2 seconds (between 5 and 7 seconds).

Hope this is clearer. :???:

Thanks Paul for the detailed explanation.

I shall try it and let you know

Cheers
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Video Editors