They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Movavi on Mac

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Movavi on Mac

Postby ed » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:19 pm

I guess I never installed iMovie on my MacBook Pro, and since I'm still running High Sierra OS I can't get it (I don't want to update now in case I screw it up because I'm using this laptop now for work while our offices are not open due to the pandemic). I do have Premiere elements on a windows 10 laptop, but wanted something for this one.

I purchased a subscription to the Movavi app and so far I like it. Very nice and clean interface, and fast. It can export to a ton of formats, and does about everything you need for a short video. It does not have robust key frame capabilities, but I don't usually do much of that anyway.

Doing video with my new drone I noticed that there is a pretty significant fish eye effect with the video. It's kind of cool, but not something I care to see on all of the videos. Movavi has fish eye correction, and it works OK, but it's not perfect. Here's a look at it from video I took yesterday.

ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Movavi on Mac

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:58 am

Ed I was surprised that when the fisheye was removed the image was not very cropped. most of the images I have seen when fisheye is removed the image seems cropped. Cool to know.

Ed did you ever try using DaVinci to do editing? It is a free application.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby ed » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:38 pm

It has a setting to adjust for that Sidd. I looked at DaVinci, but just wanted something that wouldn't take a lot of effort to learn and didn't need a lot or resources to run.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:26 pm

Yeah sometimes as the programs get more and more complicated I realize I really enjoy the simplicity of recording and editing video and not making it a huge production.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby ed » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:53 pm

Speaking of free Sidd, I played around with the Python moviepy library a little at lunch today. I could see it being useful if you have a lot of videos you need to do the same action to, or maybe putting together a slideshow. I think I'll play around with it this weekend and try to do some color correction and transitions from a directory of videos.

Here's what I did, just concatenating two videos, adding some titles, and a sound track. It was 12 lines of code.

ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:27 pm

Ed that looks pretty cool. My only comment would be is if you are to stabilize the aerial footage? But it is pretty slight.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby ed » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:50 pm

It doesn't have stabilization functionality, but I did read that openCV has that capability and can be imported into the project. It would be pretty painful to do large scale editing with the library. For example, to add transitions to clips you need the end and start times for the two clips since there is no editing timeline. Not to big a deal to write a function to do that, but still a pain.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby ed » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:04 pm

So Movavi does have a stabilization feature. Here's a clip showing it, but I need to spend more time with the radius and edge settings to get some of the distortion out. After I spend more time with the software maybe I'll post a review; it may be helpful for someone visiting this site.

ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:32 am

Wow ed that is a nice improvement. Hopefully it does take too long a time for the operation to complete on your MAC. it is pretty amazing how much wind there is one you get a drone in the air. Glad you are enjoying your flight training... lol

Sidd
sidd finch

Return to Video Editors