They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Report: iTunes Accounts Have Been Compromised

Talk about anything here.

Report: iTunes Accounts Have Been Compromised

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:07 am

The report states that one should check one's iTunes account regularly to make sure that the credit card billing information is correct and that there are no unauthorized charges to the account.

:-8
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Report: iTunes Accounts Have Been Compromised

Postby Ted » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:11 pm

VERY good advice.

I once had an unsavory person purchase a Macbook Pro using my credit card. Frustrating to say the least!

I called Apple and they confirmed that I did indeed order a Macbook Pro and MS Office 2007. They had even used MY email address to process the order. When asked why I didn't get a confirmation email they said that doesn't always happen.

I said, "Fine... could you please email me the address where I allegedly shipped the laptop?"

"No sir... because of confidentiality issues and protecting our customers."

"I see... so you can't send an email to MY email address with the information that I supposedly gave you?"

"That's right."

"So you're basically protecting the identity theft."

"Uh...yeah."

Great. :P

Because of this, whenever I want to buy music, videos, or anything from Apple, I go to Best Buy and purchase an iTunes gift card and use THAT. Apple currently has no Visa on file with me (or it's a Visa that is no longer usable).
"Satan trembles when he sees
the weakest saint on his knees."
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:04 pm

Ted wrote:[color=#008000]I once had an unsavory person purchase a Macbook Pro using my credit card. Frustrating to say the least!

Was there ever a satisfactory ending, Ted?

:?:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ted » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:48 pm

George Tyndall wrote:
Ted wrote:I once had an unsavory person purchase a Macbook Pro using my credit card. Frustrating to say the least!

Was there ever a satisfactory ending, Ted?

:?:

D'oh! I should have mentioned that yes, thankfully, there was a satisfactory ending. It was determined that I didn't purchase the Macbook Pro (seeing as the address was probably not in this country!) so my bank didn't make me pay for it.

But it was about four weeks of worrying if I'd have to be accountable for the cost of it... around the ballpark of $1800. :(

Thanks for asking, George.
"Satan trembles when he sees
the weakest saint on his knees."
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:26 pm

Similar experience myself Ted. Discovered that the address on one of my credit cards had been changed. The cc company confirmed that there had been a number of purchases made. One was for a brand new Dell computer system, and there were several rapid-fire purchases from Overstock.com. The first change of address was to a NYC address, then a week later to LA, then POOF - gone. Of course the card was immediately cancelled, but by then they had their merchandise. NYC and LA police were not helpful; I lived in Ohio. Local police were not helpful; the crimes took place out of state. I did file a report with a federal identity fraud agency but of course nothing came of it. The cc company ate it, I documented everything and eventually gave up. This was about 7 or 8 years ago. I just saw in the paper a couple of months ago that the local police have now agreed to accept reports of this nature.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Return to Water Cooler