They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Acronis TIH 2011 (build 6597) "sees" all my Backups

Talk about anything here.

Acronis TIH 2011 (build 6597) "sees" all my Backups

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:37 pm

Acronis update informs me that there is a still more recent build available, however, I did not download it as build 6597, unlike my previous build, does see the 4 backups that I previously created on each of 4 external HDDs.

That being the case, I've created a new backup, and I am at the moment "validating" it. (I've discovered that validating the backup after, rather than during, the creation of the backup seems to be much faster.)

Caution: I haven't yet needed to actually perform a Restore from any of the backups, so I am still not certain that the backups will work.

In a while, I am going to download the latest version of iTunes, and if it mucks up anything (for example, my Playlists or my Star Ratings), then I'll be using the validated Acronis backup to restore the previous version of iTunes and then reporting back later.

[-o<
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Acronis TIH 2011 (build 6597) "sees" all my Backups

Postby Bob » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:19 pm

Acronis has a history of releasing buggy builds and then taking a very long time to fix them. If you have a working version, I'd recommend sticking with it until the new build has been out a while to see if anyone is having problems with it -- then, before installing, check the support forum to see what people are saying about it.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:47 pm

Bob wrote:Acronis has a history of releasing buggy builds and then taking a very long time to fix them. If you have a working version, I'd recommend sticking with it until the new build has been out a while to see if anyone is having problems with it -- then, before installing, check the support forum to see what people are saying about it.

I totally agree--and that is why I never "upgrade" anything that is woking well, unless there is a very desirable new feature AND I've got both a System Restore Point and a mirror image to retreat to.

The reason I'm interested in the latest iTunes is that the old version that I am using cannot access the iTunes Store AND it seems to have, like the older version, the ability to create a WAV version of the downloaded file merely by right-clicking on it (no need to use the burn CD workaround to have a WAV version to use in my slide shows).

Question: Apple would also like to instll Safari 5? I'm happy with IE8. Any advantage?

:tx:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:46 am

Clarification: Not only the Aronis Windows program but also the all-important Acronis Recovery Disk can "see" the backups on all four of my external HDDs.

If ever I need to perform an actual Restore of my C drive, and it is successful--that is to say, I can once again "compute with confidence"--I'll report back here.

:yh:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Water Cooler